Kunzite and other near-worthless semi-precious stuff

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

onionbob

Registered Shopper
Hello, I actually felt like I needed to register an account to post about this, even though I normally just lurk places like this.

Anyway, the constant banging on about "kunzite" on bid tv led me to actually research how valuable it is. We are led to believe that the hideous 1-2 carat kunzite rings (gold plated, naturally) are worth £1500+. I suppose there's nothing surprising in the fact that you can buy loose kunzite stones - as pink as the ones they're selling, cut in a variety of styles - for next to nothing. Here, for instance, you can buy a 10 carat kunzite stone for 85 US dollars. It's not set, alright, but I'm pretty sure the plated steel / 925 silver ring it's set in is not going to bump it up to the four figure price mark. Similar to the ammolite pendants they're always trying to flog -- you can get these things loose for 3-4 pounds each online.

How do they get away with it, how do they sleep at night, etc etc. I'm not sure what my point here exactly as I'm preaching to the converted but I guess sometimes it's nice to see some of the figures behind the blagging.

They sleep at night because the management will have commissioned a customer satisfaction survey,which, if quoted from selectively,will suggest that the customers are are over the moon with the service and value they receive.
They get away with it because the sales methodology targets the elderly,the vunerable and the gullible.
The company has certainly been profitable in the past although I have no idea how it is performing at present.
Although it's certainly true that 'there's one born every minute' which is how they survive,it's also true that companies whose culture is based on blagging are not sustainable in the long term.
The fact that nearly all the posts on this forum regarding Bid TV are extremely hostile is a good indicator of it's standing and ultimately it's prospects.

They sleep at night because the management will have commissioned a customer satisfaction survey,which, if quoted from selectively,will suggest that the customers are are over the moon with the service and value they receive.
They get away with it because the sales methodology targets the elderly,the vunerable and the gullible.
The company has certainly been profitable in the past although I have no idea how it is performing at present.
Although it's certainly true that 'there's one born every minute' which is how they survive,it's also true that companies whose culture is based on blagging are not sustainable in the long term.
The fact that nearly all the posts on this forum regarding Bid TV are extremely hostile is a good indicator of it's standing and ultimately it's prospects.

^This......

I saw Peter Simon selling those ammolite pendants a few weeks ago. He said that they were a thousand times rarer than diamonds and if you'd paid £150 for one, you'd have got a bargain. A quick look on ebay quickly proved that was yet another whopper of a lie!!!

I'm just amazed at how they keep getting away with it!!

I saw Peter Simon selling those ammolite pendants a few weeks ago. He said that they were a thousand times rarer than diamonds and if you'd paid £150 for one, you'd have got a bargain. A quick look on ebay quickly proved that was yet another whopper of a lie!!!

I'm just amazed at how they keep getting away with it!!

Yes quite. Rarity is no guarantee of value. I can scribble a biro scrawl on the back of a fag packet, and it'll be the only one in the world. Is it worth anything? No.

Once upon a time they frequently bragged about 97% of their customers being satisfied with their purchase...wonder why they don't do this anymore? :wink:

According to QVC many moons ago, Tanzanite should now be extinct from the world of gems, so rare was it, only one mine in the world, when it's gone it's gone.. etc..etc.....still around though..Sigh* :doh:

daydreamer

James Russell had a 2ct piece of Kunzite ring last night which they would have expected to get £400 for in a clearance sale.

They did a non stop drop and it went for £130ish and he kept saying that 'you've really done us over on that'

Not once did I see the ring other than in the lightbox. I wonder how many people do take their purchases off bid to a reputable jeweller and have it valued?

Much of the sales pitch surrounding these lesser-known stones is frankly hilarious; just because cave-dwellers called it the "angel stone" by virtue of it glowing in the dark doesn't mean that it would be a valuable or desirable proposition nowadays, otherwise a battery-powered torch would be worth an absolute fortune
mysmilie_507.gif

James Russell had a 2ct piece of Kunzite ring last night which they would have expected to get £400 for in a clearance sale.

They did a non stop drop and it went for £130ish and he kept saying that 'you've really done us over on that'

Not once did I see the ring other than in the lightbox. I wonder how many people do take their purchases off bid to a reputable jeweller and have it valued?

A valuation would probably cost more than the thing is worth.

I was reading this thread in good humour until I saw the words "James Russell". Now, what few hairs I haven't ripped out are standing on end. xxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back