Mikey's Ingersoll misinformation!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

radio_dayz

Registered Shopper
There I was last night, just about to go to bed and it was announced on bid that they were going to sell an automatic Ingersoll chronograph at 11:30. Being a bit of a watch fan, especially auto chronos, I decided to wait up and watch. The watch came to air about midnight, late again! Nothing new there then. There were the graphics on screen, which declared that it was indeed an Ingersoll automatic chronograph. Mikey said "I know quite a bit about watches and this as good as it gets" He said that "they are 400 euro on the ingersoll web site". "This watch does not run on batteries and you don't have to wind it, it's wound by the movement of your wrist" he said. He showed a close up of the watch, which had an exhibition case back which showed the movement very clearly. Straight away I noticed that the watch housed a chinese Sea-Gull ST19 hand winding movement. Yes, hand winding, not automatic at all! So Mikey me old china, you either don't know that much about watches at all, or you are just telling lies.

Are the people on these channels able to tell the truth about any watch that they sell? I have never seen any evidence of it! If I'd just shelled out £220 for the watch above (as if I would for a mere Ingersoll) and then found out when I received it that it wasn't automatic after being told that it is, I would be damned annoyed about it. Do they really think that people will just keep the watches anyway and say, well, it's only £220, hardly worth returning it.

Get your act together sit-up!

"This watch does not run on batteries and you don't have to wind it, it's wound by the movement of your wrist" he said. He showed a close up of the watch, which had an exhibition case back which showed the movement very clearly. Straight away I noticed that the watch housed a chinese Sea-Gull ST19 hand winding movement. Yes, hand winding, not automatic at all! So Mikey me old china, you either don't know that much about watches at all, or you are just telling lies.
That's more than just a Mikey mistake! If the on-screen graphics and announcement said 'automatic' and the watch being sold clearly wasn't automatic, that's an obvious case of deception for the ASA to deal with, complete with hard evidence. (Though just Mikey saying 'automatic' should be enough in itself.)

Log the details with them via this webpage: http://asa.org.uk/Complaints/How-to-complain/Online-Form/Step1.aspx

If you do this, it will be very interesting to see what happens, though I bet that they'll claim that it was a "one-off mistake" by the producer on-duty at the time. However the more "one-off" mistakes they apparently make, the less credible that excuse will sound and they could (finally) be sanctioned for repeated lie-telling.

That's more than just a Mikey mistake! If the on-screen graphics and announcement said 'automatic' and the watch being sold clearly wasn't automatic, that's an obvious case of deception for the ASA to deal with, complete with hard evidence. (Though just Mikey saying 'automatic' should be enough in itself.)

Log the details with them via this webpage: http://asa.org.uk/Complaints/How-to-complain/Online-Form/Step1.aspx

If you do this, it will be very interesting to see what happens, though I bet that they'll claim that it was a "one-off mistake" by the producer on-duty at the time. However the more "one-off" mistakes they apparently make, the less credible that excuse will sound and they could (finally) be sanctioned for repeated lie-telling.

Just did as you suggested. Will it make a difference?

Just did as you suggested. Will it make a difference?
The simple answer is that I don't know because I have no experience with the ASA.

My guess? One complaint made by one viewer might not achieve much, but it's another anecdote to add to the ASA's case file and it will be interesting to see what happens next. Even a simple enquiry made by the ASA to the channels will pile on the pressure even if no action is ultimately taken.

"....it's wound by the movement of your wrist"

I bet Mikes watch never stops! :thinking:

Interestingly enough, this watch is now showing on the bid web site stating that it is in fact hand wound. Been reading this thread perhaps? Or has the ASA had a word?

http://store.bid.tv/bidtv/Ingersoll...-Leather-Strap/WB133888/ProductDetail.raction

To be fair to bid though, which I really hate to be! Other sellers of this watch, also state that it is automatic. Probably a mistake originallymade by Ingersoll (Zeon).

By the way, it's £30 cheaper on Amazon.

A result then! (Sort of.)

Rather sad that it perhaps wasn't their fault, all things considered, but does illustrate that it's worth the effort to complain via the ASA when this sort of thing does happen. There's always next time :wink:

I think it's pretty certain that they monitor this forum and that the observations made here do have a moderating effect.
Another example is that Russell's Earnshaw presentation last night clearly stated that the watches were a tribute rather than an unbroken lineage.
He also said that the strap was 'quality leather' rather than the bogus claim of 'hand stitched Italian leather' which he had previously employed.
He did, however,(whilst appearing extremely uncomfortable) allude to 'Only Fools and Horses' which, as we know, does not mention Earnshaw! Hopefully we won't hear that one again.

I am very glad that they are correcting their mistakes. Viewers should be entitled to accurate descriptions of the products they sell.

There again, Mike said he knew a lot about watches. A mechanical watch without a rotor on the back of the movement, is clearly not automatic!

I saw Russell last night with the Earnshaws. It makes me laugh when he calls the rotor in an automatic, a propeller! I half expect it to fly across the studio! And "this watch is not only automatic, but also mechanical"! He's such a plonker!!

Latest posts

Back