Is there ANYTHING we like about Situps?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julia

Registered Shopper
Welsh borders. Near good salmon river for my husba
I know I don’t watch the channels as much as all of you, and I admit that the last time I bought anything from them was, I think, a couple of years ago and sent it back pronto but I do find them entertaining (for all the wrong reasons) I wondered if anyone else watched for the wrong reasons?

I watched James Russell whilst I was doing the ironing and ended up in stitches listening to the load of cobblers he was saying about a watch. He didn’t have a clue. Same effect when he is talking about gem stones.

I could do a whole page on Peter Simon. 'Just 2 fivers' forgetting to add the p&p

The Liverpool lad, Steve Someone, rips you off so sincerely. He reminds me of Delboy.

Guy Someone in his cap which he thinks all we gardeners wear is always good for al laugh too.

What I don't find funny are those blinking worry angels and salespersons playing on the insecurities and fears of some viewers. Not nice to see, not nice to do

Anyone else have a good guffaw now and again?

I'm strangely addicted :cheeky: I find myself tuning in during advert breaks if I'm watching something good. I can't believe how people pay huge amounts for jewellery so overpriced and only seen in the lightbox.

I love Wayne the chef, burns everything to a crisp bless him :tongue:

BTW I haven't seen any tanzanite for ages. Is it exhausted? Were they telling the truth? Should I have bought some?

Although they mostly sell crap there are 1 or 2 products that are quite good but obviously they are over priced and can be bought cheaper elsewhere. examples are the razorpit, car code reader,halogen oven,viking e go electric bike. I would never have known about these products had I not tuned into bid.

However the only reason why I tune in is to listen to all the bs and have a good laugh. In Peter Simon's words "It is quite simply" the best comedy channel on TV. My fav presenters are Andy Hodgson,Peter Simon, Steve Mcdonald, Sally Jacks, Nicola George (who is always talking about her boyfriend) and even James Russell. Probably the most professional one though is Sophie Kostrowski. Out of the assistants I like thickie Helen Bates!

I love all the made up brand names! Every product is high end or designer.

Last edited:
I have just received the pentax camera having returned
the TSV from QVC as it was too delicate
for me and kept toppling over when the flash was on.
Obviously it is not on easy pay but I like it a lot
more as it designed to be waterproof and shockproof
and has the features like fish eye etc that
the QVC one had. It is difficult to lose as well
as it has orange on the front. Came with 2 batteries
and a case which the QVC one did not.

Personally, I can't stand these channels though once upon a time I did. Flying Pigs, it's so nice when you hear that someone has made a happy purchase and bidtvbs (great name) you are absolutely right. I too would never have known about a lot of the products and gadgets that are out there, so I owe thanks to all the shopping channels for that much at least. xxxxxxxx

I have to admit, there are some useful items and ideas on the Sit-ups but I always find them much cheaper by googling, and looking on Ebay and Amazon.

Sit-up boast they are a discount shopping channel but the £7.99 p&p per product and the premium rate phonecalls they charge is extortionate.

I'm glad I started this thread, and it isn't just me. I do so agree with the comments about the price. B&M, Pound Lines and street markets carry most of the stuff Situps sell, but at a fraction of the overall cost. Butterfly solar lights (though God knows who buys them) £2.99 for 3 in a street market last year. Memory foam insoles for shoes £1.99 in a shoe shop in town. Baylis and Harding gift sets, £2.99 in Savers.The list is endless.

One year I bought a diamond from Situps and sent it right back. It was valued at a 1/3 of what I paid for it! Another dress ring I bought, the stone fell out the first time I wore it

I suppose if you were housebound and didn't have anyone to shop for you or have access to other home shopping outlets or lived on top of a mountain and desperate with no other option you would HAVE to use situps but, by gum, you'd need a lotto win to afford their p&p, even on the multibuy.

I have to say though, that QVC and Ideal World do some good diamond deals so I don't want to appear as if I am decrying all shopping channels.

Situps buy in huge quantities so the actual price of what they have paid for what you buy is mere pence. They post in vast quantities so the cost of that is also micro. The profit they make is enormous. We are in a recession, no wonder salesmen and women are leaving!

I used to watch back in the day 'cause the chances were I'd be able to bag myself a real bargain, not now though. I tend to flick through all the shopping channels and land on one of these cause they do a variety of items, you pretty much know that IW will be doing a Karcher or a halogen oven, the infomercial channels an elastic bra or an ab trainer, and the rest of them tbh, are jewellery.

Although for me they've lost their "shopping appeal", I find them entertaining on many levels...how much BS can they come out with in one ten minute session..examples being Helen Bates (who can be as annoying as ^%$£ ) prancing around in a pair of old grannies comfort shoes telling us how much she loves them...'course she does!

Mike Mason shahting dan the camera like a barra boy, don't the powers that be realise that if they are going to try and get away with significantly reducing the quality of the goods that you sell, that you need to try and be discreet about it?

Caroline Lyndsay and her anecdotes which usually involve her paying more than the cost of the item on air on something ridiculously mundane eg; a twin pack of bog roll, of course the irony being, the bog roll will probably last you twice as long!

Peter Simon the history teacher.....In days of old, when chivalrous knights rode the length and breadth of our green and pleasant land blah blah blah , Debussy tinkling the ivories in the background, cue close up of some hideous figurine that a child might win at a funfair (complete with garish overshot paintwork, and the facial features of John Merrick and the incrdible melting man) . Starts at some loony price in the hundreds, then drops down to about £12.99..really classy stuff then!

They're great actors though, you've got to hand it to them! If I'd been presenting the bed linen sets, I've just had the misfortune of receiving, it would have gone a bit like this....

Here's a couple of really smart looking duvet sets....you get two...oh hold on, stop the music....How on earth are we selling these, the quality's the pits, they're actually torn at the seams....oooh look I can see the camera man through the fabric! Oh well folks if you want to pay through the nose for a load of old crap, then I'd buy these!

The one thing these channels have taught me - and I do have to say that it genuinely has been educational in this respect - is the true value of certain products. I personally wouldn't have looked at the price of a stainless steel watch in Aldi if it hadn't been for the cheap watches being sold on Bid/Price-drop, therefore now know that £10 is the retail price of a basic functional watch with a stainless steel strap. (By contrast, a similar "Klaus Kobec" was being flogged on Price-drop yesterday for £25+£7.99 p&p and that was "the lowest we can go", namely giving them more than £20 profit/watch.) Do you really want to willingly hand over more than £20 of your money to these people?

Beware though of truly novel products on shopping channels; there are probably useful products (and perhaps bargains as well) to be had but they're precisely the sort of outlet that failed Dragon's Den ideas can end up on, as noted by the millionaires themselves when discussing certain products. So if something is almost exclusively available on the Bid Shopping channels or 'infomercials' it means that it may not have been good enough for the big high street chains; I mean, who would refuse a John Lewis distribution deal? Just a thought.

Having said that, those wash balls have more recently appeared in Currys for all the good they are :wink:

I watch the channels when I'm in need of a good laugh. The amount of BS is just too funny to pass up.

Never tempted though....

Ditto, for pure comedy value it's a sure winner. James Russell is exceptionaly brilliant at talking cobblers and being annoying all at the same time :D

Yes-tremendous entertainment value!!!!!!!!!!
My favourites are Caroline's waxwork expression of surprise,daft Helen's rictus smile,James Russell's mocking supercilious insincerity-but my top choice is when Peter Simon lowers his voice,leers into the camera and says 'Phyllis in Batley-Jean in Stoke,a very good evening to you!'
Count Dracula was never as chilling!

Latest posts

Back