When did the current warehouse clearance start?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I ask because I'm sure some of the prices are no cheaper than the price they normally charge for them! Over a week ago, they were doing some perfumes, and I quite liked the sound of them, they stopped at £24.99. A lot of the time I find, if you look up the item on air you can usually find it a few quid cheaper on the website, it's surprising how often this happens and they try and convince viewers that this is the lowest something's ever gone for and the lowest it's ever going to go for, anyway, sure enough I found the perfumes for £18.99...I added on the obligatory £7.99 and decided I'd check out cheapsmells.com, the perfumes themselves worked out dearer, however with the nominal amount of p&p they were charging, the Cheapsmells option was the better deal.

About a week later, I've got Bid chuntering along in the background and I notice it's a "Warehouse clearance", and they're doing my perfumes...."Oh bugga, I thought, they're going to be even cheaper". I needn't have worried as they went for £18.99, and this wasn't because they were selling quickly, they locked the price at that amount- the regular price the item sells for on the website! Thereafter I noticed that the same went for other items too. Now what is this sale? Is it or is it not a sale? There is always a clearance section on the website, so the "flash/Warehouse/Jubilee/end of season etc etc" is not the slashing of prices they'd like us to believe, but prices that are available all year round. In fact by doing the tv version of the sale they're actually making more money out of us 'cause you've got the phonecall to make...a web bid is free!

I'm going to scream the next time I hear "This shouldn't be in Warehouse clearance!"....er..yes it should 'cause if it really shouldn't be, it wouldn't be!

Hey, I think I've just spotted another "trick". It's an avalanche at the moment, so as you probably know the next item's got to go lower than the one before...It's a long show, so it's going to start with fairly expensive tat and finish up with worthless tat.....Ooooh dearie me, he's spotted an item he should have done a couple of drops ago, so he's going to have to do them at a really really low price, make the most of my mistake folks...."my mistake...my ar$e!" Sorry but if you noticed a diamond ring you'd forgotten, and you'd got down to the washballs, you'd wouldn't flaming well mention it, and if you were to be "really honest" You'd say, I've forgotten this, but obviously I'm not going to be able to sell it for under a tenner, so I'll have to forward it to another show!

Wondering how much the yellow bag's going for, the standard price seems to be £13.99!

This is so entertaining! Just seen a coffee maker go for MORE than it normally sells for ....so funny! And that silly old Adam's made another boo boo....A diamond watch..he's got to sell it for less than the coffee maker...if he was really that incompetent I think he'd be fired, or at least given a disciplinary lol!

Even funnier, he's decided to wear the watch 'cause he's never worn 24 carat gold and diamonds before...and he still hasn't !

The horrible duvet covers are coming up soon, should be paying us to take them off their hands.....and guess what? He should have done the video camera earlier lol again!

Just checked the watch, diamond no less, is on the website for £21.99 cheaper than the avalanche sale.

I'm begining to think that the ASA need to check out these channels! However, I can imagine they're staying within the law (just) in their attempt to mislead and fleece their customers!

Last edited:
I get the impression that they're sailing very close to the wind most of the time, with only a matter of interpretation separating the sales pitch from being classed as outright deception. Take the Thomas Earnshaw watches as an example; several minutes of spiel about old ships and chronometers before introducing a watch that just happens to have the same name as a historical figure with the disclaimer (if any) buried deep in the sales pitch, perhaps using the word 'inspired' once to cover themselves.

However your casual channel-flicking viewer may not have watched (or paid attention to) the sales pitch long enough to get the full facts, so to speak, about the product(s) in question, and it's a matter of interpretation between Bid Shopping and the ASA as to whether or not an actual deception has taken place. And they can also claim that price comparisons strictly relate to the TV shopping side of the business as opposed to any website(s) or their Ocean Tree Trading eBay outlet shop; the same rules that enable shops to (perhaps rightly) exclude internet-only traders from price comparisons.

Put simply, they have strayed into the realms of outright deception on numerous occasions, especially when James Russell/Steve McDonald/Peter Simon (perhaps by accident, feigned or otherwise) have been presenting, but I'd guess they would cover themselves by saying that they were "one-off mistakes" despite being frequent in number. Anyway, they would probably think "Who cares about accuracy when there are enough mug punters piling in on the phone lines?" :wink:

Well they've have now actually lied on air!!!! The crappola duvet set, that they've said is 50/50 polyester cotton is actually 100% polyester. When I saw it, I thought it looked of a similar quality to the dispicable pile of carp that I've just sent back, so I checked it out. When I bought mine I bought it online so didn't see the demo, if I had I'd have recognised the inferior quality that literally jumps out of the screen....I'm angry now:headbang:

Think I'd better go out and get a life!!!!

Do have to go out actually!

The Tommy & Kate Red and bitter Chocolate leather belted purse went for £14.95 on PD clearance with clipboard holding Steve McD and it's only £11.99 on their website :cash:

I expect that when they don't use the phrase 'we're set to lose £xxxx on this item', they are making £xxxx more than they normally would, in the great Clearance Sale :drunk:

Last edited:
The yellow bag went for a quid dearer than it normally does. Avalanche...pffft! Quite honestly whilst they try to dress it up as a bargain for us, it's a safeguard for them to make sure that the prices don't drop too low. It's the only sale I've seen in which the prices are higher than usual....I really didn't think they could possibly have any more tricks up their sleeves, how I underestimated them. Trouble is it's turning pretty much all of the presenters into out and out shysters....I thought Adam Heppenstall was one of the good guys!

Trouble is it's turning pretty much all of the presenters into out and out shysters....I thought Adam Heppenstall was one of the good guys!
Adam was supposed to be leaving...wasn't he? Shame really that even the decent presenters have now been reduced to reading from the corporate bull script if they want to keep their job, though at least Adam's still much better than certain other presenters :wink:

I have to say the clearance with Steve MacDonald on Saturday night was really good. I'm not just saying it, and I know that other times in the clearance, many things have gone for higher than usual. HOWEVER with Steve, they had 60 items they had to shift in 3 1/2 hours! No breaks, just the odd preview, rarely any clocks, vary vague description and sold out very fast. Well it must have been good, as they were selling out with quantities of 600-1000!

I have to say the clearance with Steve MacDonald on Saturday night was really good. I'm not just saying it, and I know that other times in the clearance, many things have gone for higher than usual. HOWEVER with Steve, they had 60 items they had to shift in 3 1/2 hours! No breaks, just the odd preview, rarely any clocks, vary vague description and sold out very fast. Well it must have been good, as they were selling out with quantities of 600-1000!

I agree, it was fast and furious and he did a very good job. I've grown to really like him actually. He can be quite funny.

He does say outrageous things like 'you have to have a lot of money to own a Klaus Kobec watch' though :wonder:

It was very good, I really enjoyed watching it, it's not often I do enjoy watching any Sit-Up channel I must admit.
And his first 6 items you could have got for £4.02p (not including p&p or the phonecall) :happy:

It was very good, I really enjoyed watching it, it's not often I do enjoy watching any Sit-Up channel I must admit.
And his first 6 items you could have got for £4.02p (not including p&p or the phonecall) :happy:

Yeh, but add the ridiculous £48 p&p and £9+ premium rate phone calls then you can see it's not exactly a flipping great deal.

Yeh, but add the ridiculous £48 p&p and £9+ premium rate phone calls then you can see it's not exactly a flipping great deal.

There were some very good deals on that show though

Pack of 15 socks, usually £10-12, went for £2.

Torino Stick vac usually £18, went for £12

Picnic set which has never gone under £50, went for under £35

70 Piece storage set which was Deal of the day at £12.99, and I've seen it for £14.99 went for £6 something.

They were just a few, and many of them I did think "wow", as they were decent baragains, even with the P&P

that list above sounds like a load of old tat to me

That is exactly what I was thinking. :thinking:

Bennyxp, do you have all this tat laying around your home? I bet you have. :wink:

Latest posts

Back