Have your Sit-up network viewing habits changed over the years?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Greg

Registered Shopper
I remember way back in 2005 when Mikey Mason had curly hair, Peter Simon had his and Peter Sherlock had a full locks down to his shoulders and they were having lots of fun joking and making little sketches and stand-ups. They were giving away bikes and TVs - genuine bargains. I was watching several nights a week looking forward to the entertainment into the wee small hours.

Eighteen months ago, something started to go wrong. Mike Mason disappeared and a lot of the good presenters went too. Suddenly the crappy jewellery started to appear, cheapo trinkets and general tat started to infest the channels. I was still watching, but not so much. I guess it was the car-crash value of presenters beginning to change from casual, funny and entertaining to something a bit scripted and rather wooden.

And today? Mikes back, but he's bald as a coot. Peter Simon is still here, but looks like Friar Tuck and Mr Sherlock, well he shaved all his off. All the presenters seem to have been drilled in the art of cynical salesmen and women, to use every trick in the book to get that sale. It's plagued by endless tacky 'themes' and 'sale' events. I switch it on occasionally but can never watch more that five or ten minutes. The whole thing seems a bit sinister now. The fun and the laughter has gone.

It's such a shame. I used to love Sit-up. Now I just feel sad. :heartbroke:

Last edited:
Have really really gone off it can say only shows I have seen in last few weeks were Lisa Brash last Sunday only look now if flicking. None of the presenters give off any spark anymore all auctions are the same, same phrases from all presenters.

I just wish the old bid-up.tv would come back with presenters having fun, amusing change overs between shifts, rapport between presenters and assistants, selling better quality products, no hard sell.

well said greg and steveh totally agree with the above... the channels were once very entertaining with a lot of stuff worth
buying and at a decent price even including the p&p! but alas nowadays its just one big stream of crap being peddled mostly
by presenters who have had a personallity bypass who constantly keep saying genuinely this ****** genuinely that and i
genuinely mean that.... well i can genuinely tell you that genuinely dont fall for it.. but obviously a lot of people do!
and as for poor old St.Peter Simon, dont get me started on him... i know he has always had that really annoying habit of never
finishing his sentances but MY GOD he does it all the time, and it used to make me laugh, but now its starting to drive me mad
and he must have a problem with indigestion or something worse as he is always burping off camera... not only this not only that,
this is worth an absolute fortune!! and when he gets the words all wrong he just carries on as if nothings happened, i often wonder
if he realises he's said the wrong thing... but having said all that i still tune in to watch him ha ha...

I don't watch too often nowadays. The channels have become far too gimmicky with endless meaningless clearance sales, avalanche sales and too much unspeakable junk sold at high prices. There was a time when they'd sell quality goods, along with the tat, but sadly those days are long gone. I remember buying a couple of Maurice Lacroix watches at really low prices, you never see quality on the channels like that anymore. Now, if I do buy from sit-up, it's only from oceantree trading on eBay.

Recently, I discovered a "Poundstretcher" shop at the end of my road. Guess what. It sells a lot of the stuff that Sit-up sells and more. The quality of the wares range from crap to reasonable but at least I can examine the goods and make a considered decision whether to buy any of it. Best thing there is no £7.99 p&p and £1.53 premium rate phone call to ring.

I don't bother buying from Sit ups or Ocean Trading anymore. I check out the goods I see on Bid at Poundstretcher. http://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/index.php

Recently, I discovered a "Poundstretcher" shop at the end of my road. Guess what. It sells a lot of the stuff that Sit-up sells and more. The quality of the wares range from crap to reasonable but at least I can examine the goods and make a considered decision whether to buy any of it. Best thing there is no £7.99 p&p and £1.53 premium rate phone call to ring.

I don't bother buying from Sit ups or Ocean Trading anymore. I check out the goods I see on Bid at Poundstretcher. http://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/index.php

As an ex Poundstretcher employee (be it a good few years now) the goods were only as good as the customers who threw them around the shop and the amount of thieving that went on was shocking, the number of odd shoes we used to find was bizarre, or the number of used shoes we found as people came in put the new ones on and walked out. Poundstretcher don't sell clothes and shoes now I believe as the amount of money lost in stolen stock was shocking.

I agree with what everyone has said so far, I used to watch price-drop or bid at least a couple of hours a day and usually much more than that, Peter Simon was a must watch show and I used to look forward to the monday club in particular, Peter & Steve handovers were usually funny as were the Peter & Andy H ones,

All the fun has gone out of the channels now, they have lost the unique aspects such as the random items where 1 minute they could be selling some clothes then the next a tv, Now they have upto 3 hours of 1 type of item and its boring, The clocks have ruined the falling price format as they now set the price which again has lost some of the fun of it, Presenters don't have fun with each other anymore, its just sell sell sell, lie, lie, lie with poor quality products on the whole, I usally have a peek at bid every month but don't last longer than 30 minutes a time

I've been looking back at some dvd's i've got from 2003-2009 over the last couple of days and its sad to see just how crap the channels now are, The products were good quality and I got a lot from them over the years, I noticed just how much they now have to lie to sell the tat compared to just a few years ago

i'm going to upload some of them to YouTube at some point soon so hopefully some on here will enjoy watching some of the good old days again

Some great handovers:

Here Peter discusses Elisa's hairstyle

Here Peter seems to get Adam Freeman in a position I think he has been wanting for years.

Here poor old Mike gets his police trouble broadcast to the nation.

As an ex Poundstretcher employee (be it a good few years now) the goods were only as good as the customers who threw them around the shop and the amount of thieving that went on was shocking, the number of odd shoes we used to find was bizarre, or the number of used shoes we found as people came in put the new ones on and walked out. Poundstretcher don't sell clothes and shoes now I believe as the amount of money lost in stolen stock was shocking.

I think I must be lucky because the shop I go to seems very well organised and to be fair, I don't think there is anything really worth nicking. :happy:

Latest posts

Back