Are some presenters more honest than others?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Atticus

Registered Shopper
It's struck me recently that some of the presenters seem to be much more honest than others.

I was watching Andy Hodgson the other day, and he was more than happy to refer to items as 'not branded', 'cheap and cheerful' and even at one point mentioned the p&p costs. He was selling some tat at a '0.01p' - but at least had the decency to mention the p&p and phone cost.

I think it makes a nice change to other presenters who genuinely try and flog you crap with a 'selling price' of 0.01p.

Worse offenders are Peter Simon - 'Just buy this at 'ome! We paid a lot more for this - what can you buy for a penny these days!?", Mike Mason 'Call the police, I'm being robbed 'ere' - as he flogs some piece of poundland tat, and that awful Scouse guy on Price Drop who rips you off with such sincerity its unreal.

I just think it's obvious that these channels flog tat with hideously inflated p&p charges...so it's a refreshing change when they are a little bit open than that. I don't think anyone buys the presenters who are flogging market-stall tat as 'genuine designer...this should have gone for a lot more' etc etc.

I agree Andy Hodgson is the most honest of the presenters and the most entertaining. I still find it amazing that people watch the sit up channels with a view to buying stuff. They mainly sell tat and anything decent they sell is way overpriced and can be bought much cheaper elsewhere. Surely the only reason to watch is the comedy value and entertainment or am I in the minority?

I love the way James Russell will try and sell Christin Lars or Roberto Vecci or other crap watches trying hard to keep a straight face!

Last edited:
I agree Andy Hodgson is the most honest of the presenters and the most entertaining. I still find it amazing that people watch the sit up channels with a view to buying stuff. They mainly sell tat and anything decent they sell is way overpriced and can be bought much cheaper elsewhere. Surely the only reason to watch is the comedy value and entertainment or am I in the minority?

I love the way James Russell will try and sell Christin Lars or Roberto Vecci or other crap watches trying hard to keep a straight face!

Completely agree.

They sell mostly tat, and any time they do have a decent product on, you can usually find it online cheaper. I can't believe it when I see them sell quantities of 300+ for a Motorised Duster (Only £5! Plus £7.99, but £1.53 - what a bargain!)

I saw Andy Hodgson selling a vanity case with makeup yesterday, and the sales pitch was in stark contrast to that used by Peter Simon on Friday night. Andy commented that the makeup was not from a big brand, but there was a lot there for the money (30+ pieces for 14.99). Compare that to Peter Simon on Friday, with the usual "exquisite, delicious, extraordinary" and "we paid a fortune for these. The case alone should be 50-60 quid."

Here's an interesting question with perhaps a less than straightforward answer: Why is Andy Hodgson noticeably more honest on-air than any of the other presenters?

One or two others (eg. Adam Heppenstall, Peter Sherlock when he appears) try to be relatively honest but still seem to end up having to read from a script, but Andy Hodgson perhaps uniquely manages to avoid doing this for some reason. Is it because he's effectively part of the company management therefore not subject to the same rules as the other presenters?

I saw Andy Hodgson selling a vanity case with makeup yesterday, and the sales pitch was in stark contrast to that used by Peter Simon on Friday night. Andy commented that the makeup was not from a big brand, but there was a lot there for the money (30+ pieces for 14.99). Compare that to Peter Simon on Friday, with the usual "exquisite, delicious, extraordinary" and "we paid a fortune for these. The case alone should be 50-60 quid."

Maybe Andy should nick Peter's saying.............'I say it like it is me'..........as it's obviously wasted on Peter

Andy is just simply a better presenter , hence required to front the channels.
If Andy's a better presenter than the others, then why aren't the others trying to copy him instead of aping someone like James Russell or Steve McDonald? It's almost as if Andy's only responsible to himself as opposed to any/all of the other presenters on these channels.

I like Charlotte! Probably my favourite presenter

Nice girl, head full of feathers!

Me too and she seems to be getting quite a few shifts for a change recently which is nice. Though I did catch her on Price Drop this morning and she was falling into the realms of Sally Jaxx and 'loving' every product she was selling. However, she is always happy, bubbly, at times a bit ditzy (but in a good way), fun, energetic and one of the few who I would go out of my way to watch these days (the fact that I think she is incredibly good looking also may play a small part!).

I'm surprised by the Andy Hodgson comments as my lasting memory of him will be when he was trying to scare the viewers into buying fire blankets and home security systems. The poster was pretty bang on when it came to the Bullshit List and the worst offenders. I would never believe a word that came out of the likes of Mikey M, Nicola, Dame Simon, The Spiv, Jewellery James, Shouting Sally and Caroline's mouth.

Last edited:
I emailed Andy and he said he hasn't been management for a couple of years.

PJ

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

Love these comments. It's very interesting
Who you think is 'honest' V who 'is not', I think
you'd all be rather surprised if you found ou
the truth. Ultimately, people ate doing their jobs
and it's up to the individual to do their homework.
Noone is forced to buy products and if it's not
up to their expectation they can return them.
Please remember a sales person is employed to do
Just that... sell. Same as s car dealership, am estate
Agent etc... You must do your research first.

Here's an interesting question with perhaps a less than straightforward answer: Why is Andy Hodgson noticeably more honest on-air than any of the other presenters?

One or two others (eg. Adam Heppenstall, Peter Sherlock when he appears) try to be relatively honest but still seem to end up having to read from a script, but Andy Hodgson perhaps uniquely manages to avoid doing this for some reason. Is it because he's effectively part of the company management therefore not subject to the same rules as the other presenters?

I think it's an interesting point. It does seem like most of the other presenters have to stick to a strict script. Whereas Andy seems to be fine to go off message.

I personally much prefer it. Mike Mason is getting worse and worse. He actually just spends hours and hours bullshitting.

Latest posts

Back