Bygone Bargains

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julia

Registered Shopper
Welsh borders. Near good salmon river for my husba
I have handbags in my cupboard which I bought from bid/pricedrop years ago. They are good everyday bags, secure stitching, sturdy zips and came with a purse and make up/odds and ends bag. Even factoring in p&p they were worth the money.
Sheets and duvet covers also were good value. I'm still using them, they wash really well and always look fresh and clean and feel as if they have some quality material in them.
Costume jewellery and cheap and cheerful watches used also to be of good quality, .
There is no comparison to the goods sold then, to the cheap tat they sell now.
The mystery for me, is how do they keep going? Apart from good for a laugh, and getting ideas for things to buy elsewhere I can't see the reason for watching

i keep watching because i never fail to be amazed at how many people are still prepared to pay the price (and p&p + phone call)
for complete rubbish/tat/whatever you want to call it.... How do some of the presenters sleep at night?

I bought some towels, a big bale of about 10 different sizes for £20 and I still have some now years on. They are wonderful quality. I have only just replaced an Amadeus watch I bought years ago. At the time, my husband, who was a watchmaker, opened it up and said what a good quality movement it had in it. It was still working perfectly but some of the tiny crystals down the sides were missing and I felt like a change. My husband also bought clothes off them, which he liked. We'd watch it when there was nothing else on and Mike Mason was hilarious. I also bought a George Foreman grill, which I still have.

Those were the days.

Nowadays I wish my husband were still here to see the carp watches they churn out. Boy would he have a field day :giggle:

I bought some towels, a big bale of about 10 different sizes for £20 and I still have some now years on. They are wonderful quality. I have only just replaced an Amadeus watch I bought years ago. At the time, my husband, who was a watchmaker, opened it up and said what a good quality movement it had in it. It was still working perfectly but some of the tiny crystals down the sides were missing and I felt like a change. My husband also bought clothes off them, which he liked. We'd watch it when there was nothing else on and Mike Mason was hilarious. I also bought a George Foreman grill, which I still have.

Those were the days.

Nowadays I wish my husband were still here to see the carp watches they churn out. Boy would he have a field day :giggle:

Well put momma. I also bought a couple of Amadeus watches way back when. Although they weren't worth the rediculous so called RRP's, they were good quality. At that time, there were some good bargains to be had. This is long before the non stop drops, on screen clocks and such gimicks. Nowadays it's just tat followed by more tat!

I've remembered we also bought suitcases. Sturdy, with wheels and a pull handle. Three different sizes which all fit into one another. We bought a black set and were so impressed with them that we bought another set in green. They were about £30 and they are still going strong. All the family have used them for years now and they're still in perfect condition.

I think at that time they were trying to build up a customer base. Now they are well established, they've proved they can sell cheap tat and get away with it!

Latest posts

Back