When will they learn....Gold/silver plate is worthless!!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Agggghh! If I hear one more presenter harping on about how it doesn't matter that it's plate because it's still gold or silver next to your skin. It does matter! I agree that the likes of Links of London are totally overpriced for what they are, and for that reason I wouldn't buy into it, but I would be thrilled to receive one as a present, and wearing it would make me feel good, but I wouldn't be that thrilled to be given a piece of unhallmarked tat that rubbed off after a few outings. I might be tempted to buy a cheaper make in a similar style if it was geniune silver, but certainly wouldn't pay any more than pennies for something made from plate....It rubs off-end of! I'd sooner go into Primark, or New look and pick up a piece of honest junk jewellery made out of metal 'cause the chances are it'll wear a hell of a lot better! Worn off plate, on watches, or on jewellery is really not a good look!

Plate stuff is often given away as free gifts with in magazines...collect 3 tokens, send an s.a.e and we'll send you a fabulous gold plated necklace...if you want additional necklaces, bracelets and earrings send a cheque for £1.99 per additional item...really classy stuff eh?

It's a market stall type ploy preying on the ignorant. Cheap trash tat.

It's a market stall type ploy preying on the ignorant. Cheap trash tat.

Strong words, but I think I'll have to agree with you there. Most of the gold plate on the high street sits quietly in the Argos catalogue, or in the Per Una section of Marks n' sparks minding its own business not trying to pretend it's something it's not. Most people will probably buy it because they like it, and not because it's "Gold" or its "Silver". Not saying the channels should stop selling plated jewellery, not at all, but pleeeeeease don't insult our intellegence by trying to make us think we're buying a luxury product which is every bit as good as the real thing. Call it bold, call it bling....but fine jewellery it ain't!

They use phrases like "sprinkled with gold" to mislead the viewers or gold overlay etc I can't believe they get away with it and I can only imagine the vulnerable and elderly buy this rubbish.

To be fair, I guess the ones that are trying to convince us that gold and silver plate is quality stuff are being honest in telling us that it is actually plate. Some of 'em as we know, will talk about an item being gold and will perhaps mumble the word plate once or twice during the demo to cover themselves, just in case they're reported to the A.S.A!

I remember seeing James Russell selling some awful gold plated pendant - his whole spiel was about it being 'chock full of gold' and 'look at the amount of gold you're getting'. A couple of microns of gold plating is an absolutely miniscule amount and totally worthless. It's not as if you can scrape it off and make it into some kind of little nugget.

Some people cannot afford 'the real desl'
& plate is often cheaper than the fashion
Jewelery you can buy in Department Stores.
The choice is up to the individual.

Some people cannot afford 'the real desl'
& plate is often cheaper than the fashion
Jewelery you can buy in Department Stores.
The choice is up to the individual.

I agree! - I can't afford the "real deal" myself, but I'd rather not have something that's likely to leave green marks on my fingers, or round my neck. Agreed, plate jewellery is often cheaper than dept store fashion jewellery, but not at sit up's prices when you've £7.99 to factor in on top of the cost of the item! You could probably buy a couple of rings from Primark for that sort of money and still have your bus fare home! I can only speak for myself of course, but I've got junk jewellery in my collection that I bought years ago and it still looks the same as how it did when I bought it, everything I've had that's been plated has been binned, apart from a watch, but I only wear it for work now 'cause it looks pretty scruffy!

I also agree that it's up to the individual, but I'd hate to think that anyone's been persuaded to go for a plate item thinking they're making an investment.

Latest posts

Back