Mike Mason educated me earlier tonight.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

radio_dayz

Registered Shopper
I tuned in to bid about 8:30, there was Mr Mason who brought an indoor tv antenna to air. Mr Mason then gave us all a lesson on how TV signals are received. He informed us that if we buy a digital TV or digibox receiver and plug it in, that it will not work. What we need is digital TV aereal. It's a good job I tuned in when I did, I wondered why my new TV didn't work! He then went into the spiel as how you could call in a company to put an aereal on your roof, and how much it would cost. Now Mike comes to everyones rescue. He produces this tiny digital TV aereal which looks like a small pair of wings. "You can just put this object on the side or top of your TV and away you go". "This is ideal for a weak signal area, as it has 36db of gain". So there you are, this thing only costs a few pounds and all your troubles are solved. And just look how much you're saving. Wow!!

Now let's face facts. First of all, there is no such thing as a digital TV aereal. If an aereal works on analogue, it will also work on digital. The same applies for satellite dishes. Next, if you live in a weak signal aerea, an indoor aereal like this is of no use, no matter how much db gain it has from a built in pre amplifier. Yes, what you will need is the outdoor aereal, up on your chimney preferably.

So Mike me ole china, buying this fing for a weak signal area aint gonna save us any nelsons, cos I fink were ony gonna ave te send it back to ya.

Even worse are the presenters who perhaps unbelievably claim that these signal boosters can be used in conjunction with satellite dishes. They simply won't work at all with satellite dishes, and the only thing I can think of is if some form of dodgy low power RF distribution system was being used for the satellite system as is the case in some guest houses and hotels, which would certainly mean a badly-installed or faulty system being responsible for any problem(s).

The amplifiers on these things probably boost the noise more than the signal. :rain:

That's right, they amplify everything. I was dumb enough to try one from QVC a few years ago. When I turned on the amplifier, it wiped out the bit of signal i had in the first place!

I have used a decent quality amplifier in the past (don't know about the ones these channels sell) and it did sometimes make the difference between no signal at all and a picture in relation to digital TV, but there again it depends on the quality and strength of the signal in the first place. Plus on the second occasion I had to get the aerial changed by an installer to get decent quality reception anyway, so for many people it would purely be a waste of money unless the amplifier has more than one output and you now plan to serve additional television(s) with a signal as well, etc.

Taking bets on when M&M enters this thread to defend <s>himself</s> Mike. Anyone want a taste? Give you 2/1 on soon ;-)

PJ

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

Taking bets on when M&M enters this thread to defend <s>himself</s> Mike. Anyone want a taste? Give you 2/1 on soon ;-)

PJ

Do you still think this is Mike? You mean he could have written on this forum during his tea break/an ad break or whatever? Surely not? can people do that? lol! Mind you, they did say they were writing via mobile phone! I feel a bit sorry for Mike, he's probably no worse a bullsh*tter than half the other presenters on the channel, just the agressive sounding barrow boy style makes him sound more dodgy!

I think it is a combination of Mike the Spiv and Mike the Liar.

I think the suspicion of you being Mike stems from you registering then choosing this as your first debate plus to me you have two distinct styles as if someone else rights but I have been wrong before and will no doubt be wrong again!

PJ

Latest posts

Back