Could you answer this Peter Sherlock?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julia

Registered Shopper
Welsh borders. Near good salmon river for my husba
As an authority on fragrances, no doubt you disagree with perfumers ( I was taught to call them perfumiers but that is old fashioned these days)

When I lived overseas and had my perfume blended specially for me. I was taught how to chose and wear perfume and the one cardinal rule was NEVER buy perfume without testing it first. ALL perfume experts say the same thing... NEVER trust anyone who is trying to sell you perfume without giving you a tester first

The way I was taught to chose a new fragrance. One which wasn't specially blended for me was ...

1. Wear no other 'scents' at all before you test it
2. Try a tester. Wear it for at least 4 hours, because it changes very much from the smell in the bottle the longer it is on your skin. Every perfume changes slightly on the skin. No two people smell the same in the same fragrance, although you need a trained nose to detect the difference.
3. Reputable outlets will give you a small sample bottle to try for a few days. If they don't, don't shop there
4. It is no earthly good just buying a bottle of perfume. Perfume needs to be layered ie soap, talc, body moisturiser, etc etc

I wondered how such an experienced authority on fragrances like you, squared the circle with how you sell on situps?

Hello Julia,

Thanks for the question - and it's a really good one.

Sampling is something that we're actively looking into - the more we work directly with suppliers, the more chance there is of doing this so watch this space.

Perfume can indeed vary from person to person, however if you are a person that perfume changes on noticeably, then you probably wouldn't buy without sampling....

Disagree with perfumiers? THESE GUYS ARE MY HEROES!!!!!!! I'm in awe of their talent and abilities, and certainly don't believe that I'm anything but a passionate obsessive. Perfume really is a massive part of my life - it is something that I love learning about day after day.

Layering a fragrance is indeed a fabulous way of wearing it - but a fragrance may be worn in isolation and still be a wonderful experience. I'd personally love to always layer but the cost is prohibitive - what we do is make the perfume experience accessible and affordable.

The thorny question of "buying blind". Ten years ago I don't believe that people would have done, but the rise of the internet has given people the confidence to give it a go because of the information that comes with it. That's why I think so many people trust us as we will spend time explaining the concept and the notes...... it would be amazing to have samples of every fragrance - but at the same time wine clubs offer a similar service whereby the notes/flavours are explained without testing..... If you've ever seen me sell Angel I will always say - and this may harm sales - don't buy this unless you know this - as it is a deeply loved/hated fragrance in equal measure. We try as much as possible to put it into a frame of reference that people know - ie if you love Opium, Youth Dew you may love this.

The thing that gives me enormous pride is the amount of letters, some hand-written, some electronic that we receive almost daily. Of course, sometimes I won't be able to get it right, but at least we try with gusto. I do hope this answers your question - am about to go on air again - but if there are any other points you'd like to discuss then I look forward to our next e mail! PS very jealous about your blended perfume - what a wonderful experience.

No it hasn't really. No one involved in the perfume business wil advise a customer to buy blind. And no perfumer would touch this way of selling. Its more like dell boy out of a suitcase.

Where did you do your training? Get experience? No one in the business seems to have heard of you. Good luck 'going on air' I'm off to France for the week

No it hasn't really. No one involved in the perfume business wil advise a customer to buy blind. And no perfumer would touch this way of selling. Its more like dell boy out of a suitcase.

Where did you do your training? Get experience? No one in the business seems to have heard of you. Good luck 'going on air' I'm off to France for the week

I think you're being a bit uncharitable here after Peter has obviously taken time and trouble to reply to you. Ok, I'm not suggesting that you should agree with everything he says, but a word of thanks and appreciation might have been nice! I think the point made about the wine was a good one. I know it would be better if the channels could provide testers for the lesser/unknown brands...but let's face it, there are many many online retailers from which you can buy fragrances without testing it first.The p&p is the biggest obstacle tbh, I might be tempted to buy blind if the item was cheap enough, but sadly with such high P&P it never is going to be cheap enough, sadly.

Anyway, thanks Peter x

I think you're being a bit uncharitable here after Peter has obviously taken time and trouble to reply to you. Ok, I'm not suggesting that you should agree with everything he says, but a word of thanks and appreciation might have been nice! I think the point made about the wine was a good one. I know it would be better if the channels could provide testers for the lesser/unknown brands...but let's face it, there are many many online retailers from which you can buy fragrances without testing it first.The p&p is the biggest obstacle tbh, I might be tempted to buy blind if the item was cheap enough, but sadly with such high P&P it never is going to be cheap enough, sadly.

Anyway, thanks Peter x

Uncharitable? That reply was plain rude and obnoxious. The man had taken time to answer your obviously loaded question and your response is to rubbish him and his experience. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Peter. I have purchased a number of perfumes from you and
Made my decision based on your descriptions. I have been delighted with pretty much every one I have bought ( one was a touch too sweet for me, but you did say it was) and to be honest I don't mind paying a couple of extra quid. It's worth it for the entertainment and knowledge.

Being the first to complain about bid shopping (and I am not getting at anyone) but I agree with merry. Peter to my knowledge is the only bid rep who comes on here and took the time Bd trouble to give a very full answer.

Peter may I suggest you ask bid gods to allow you to sell new brands of perfume with either free P&P or a lot cheaper so that people will feel they can try it and if it isn't for them they won't feel shafted if they send back. Or offer a refund on the P&P if returned. That way if they are as good as you say they are (and I am sure they are) it's a win win.

PJ

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

Thanks for the lovely replies.

Julia, I don't know who you are but why don't you ask Harvey Nichols why they asked me to give a series of talks across the UK last year, and printed 300,000 copies of the magazine I co-wrote for them? I find your attitude baffling - I didn't train anywhere - as I said in my last post I am a passionate obsessive. That's it . I hope you enjoy France.

Peter Sherlock.

If you haven't seen the the movie "Perfume, the story of a murderer" I'm sure you would really enjoy it. Not only does it give an insight into how perfume is made, but a great film too! One of my favourites.

By the way, Peter Sherlock is the only presenter out of the whole sit-up team that I have any time for. He is the only one of them who has the balls to come on to this forum to fight his corner!

Last edited:
Peter Sherlock - How about if Christin Lars launched his own range of perfumes? Now that would be special! or even Tommy and Kate?

I love Peter Sherlock. I could listen to him talking about perfume all day. His enthusiasm comes across in his presentations and it is clear that he loves his job.

There will always be people who are overly snobby (sorry but can't think of a less offensive word!!) about their fragrances in which case, don't buy them from a shopping channel get em from a department store or where ever but please don't belittle us folk that don't mind taking a chance on something recommended by some guy off the telly.

Rant over. Sorry I just really hate rudeness.

There's often a perfect way to buy something, but it isn't always available to everyone. A reputable butcher being preferable to a supermarket pre-pack for example, but still people buy their chops at Tesco. Is that the fault of the supermarket or the consumer? Maybe the OP should aspire to educate the masses on perfume buying, layering etc rather than lambast an individual retailer.

jude xx

Latest posts

Back