Avalanche Con

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ali Kamman

Registered Shopper
On Bid they're currently selling Royal Albert china in one of the avalanches they do where supposedly the assistant chooses which item to do and the next item starts at the price that the previous one ended at. There are four pieces and as the camera panned across them, it stopped at a bowl. It was at this point that I clearly heard the director in someone's earpiece say, "That'll be the one" or something along those lines. Sure enough, the assistant did some thinking out loud and then chose as the first item... the bowl. I heard the voice in the earpiece quite clearly as I was wearing quality headphones connected to the tv. Why do they have to lie and make such a big deal of the assistant "choosing" the item when it's clearly management?

On Bid they're currently selling Royal Albert china in one of the avalanches they do where supposedly the assistant chooses which item to do and the next item starts at the price that the previous one ended at. There are four pieces and as the camera panned across them, it stopped at a bowl. It was at this point that I clearly heard the director in someone's earpiece say, "That'll be the one" or something along those lines. Sure enough, the assistant did some thinking out loud and then chose as the first item... the bowl. I heard the voice in the earpiece quite clearly as I was wearing quality headphones connected to the tv. Why do they have to lie and make such a big deal of the assistant "choosing" the item when it's clearly management?

I tend to think of Bid.tv as theatre now. It's all rehearsed and pre-planned in advanced. :smirk:

Still wonder who exactly buys all the tat... it wouldn't surprise me if they manipulate the quantity figure. Don't trust em but it's car crash telly! :giggle::flower:

Saw a little bit of this 'avalanche' at an earlier stage, and Peter Simon had already specifically stated that the vase was the most expensive of the remaining items. (Most likely not worth £100+ except in a rip-off gift shop, possibly.)

Anyway, the assistant ummed and ahhed, looking at two other dishes and pretending to choose them before turning them down and choosing - guess what - the vase. This may be theatre but at truly appallingly-acted junior school level, therefore it's shocking to even contemplate the intelligence of those people who must repeatedly believe that this sort of thing could possibly be genuine.

Last edited:
They say 'a fool and their money are soon parted'
Just goes to show how many fools are still around.

The only good thing about the pantomime avalanches is that they are good for a giggle. Everyone goes wrong for them, according to the presenters.

So wrong in fact, that they keep on doing them!

The "avalanche" drop makes me laugh....It's not giving the customer a bargain at all, it's just a way to control the prices and make sure they don't sell for too low a price. Lets face it, they know exactly how many different items they're going to put into the hour, they know exactly how much they want to sell each item for, they won't let the prices go to low as the next item has to be lower, so once the price has reached the chosen amount- along comes the clock....it is so controlled it's untrue! The BS about the presenter choosing the running order, what a lot of tosh, they just say what suits them....one so called avalanche I watched saw the presenter keep "finding" stuff he supposedly missed, so he'd HAVE to sell it far lower than he should have...Yeah right! If it was really up to the presenter then they could sell any item at any time throughout the hour.

Avalanche...my ar$e! ...it's a tightly controlled hour with the more expensive items at the beginning and the cheaper ones at the end of the show!

Last edited:
It's true, honest they lose sooo much money, Peter simon says "It's a better buy to you than we could ever get !" and "It cost us a lot of money !" :))

Latest posts

Back