cameo

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

dolly97

Registered Shopper
I don't know if you know but there is a big thing going on with the cameo right now on facebook
I would hate to see another crafter get in to trouble so I have joined this forun to bring you that info our ain is to make crafters aware before they buy a cameo . from facebook

The Silhouette Cameo cutting machine.*** I strongly feel that potential buyers of the Silhouette CAMEO machine must and should perhaps by law, be made aware of unfair usuage restrictions enforced by Silhouette, which does not allow ' studio format' files to be created and sold for profit wether as a single file sold or as a collection on a CD Rom. This information should be relayed to potential buyers of the machine, when the machines are being offered for sale on your programmes and then they can make a fully informed decision wether to buy it or not and wether it is actually suitable for what they need. Many people will consider this a large purchase and would be thinking that at some point they could perhaps create their own files and sell to recoup their initial outlay of the machine, well at the moment that would NOT be allowed with thei Silhouette policy restriction. I feel that to withold this very important information could possibly be contravening the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations of 1999 here in the UK, as the plug has been adapted for UK use so am suspecting and hoping that perhaps UK laws will apply. Files purchased direct from the sil online download store are also not available for commecial use unless an additional use licence for EACH image you want to use in such a way (ie to sell for profit) is purchased. Note: not all the files from their download store are available for commercial use

PLEASE DELETE MY POST as its sorted now i have received this

all sorted just had a lengthy telephone conversation and I am not prepared at this moment, to go into detail but the good news is 'Studio' format files can be sold for profit without the fear of any legal action being taken. I am fully understanding now why the restriction was placed in their terms and aware that it will not be enforced and why the wording will not be changed at this moment in time, and why nothing will be put in writing about it for the time being, but cannot say why. Trust me on this please without further questions. :0) Go ahead and design your cutting files x

Update
on cameo a reply

Perhaps this q and a section will help clarify? Please let me know if this helps to explain our policy.

Q: Can I sell Silhouette Studio® compatible files?

A: Silhouette Studio® is compatible with many file types (including the popular .dxf and .svg file types). Only the proprietary .studio file type is regulated by Silhouette America. Anyone can sell Silhouette Studio® compatible files, but the .studio file type is reserved for sole distribution by Silhouette America.

Q: Why can’t I sell .studio files?

A: Silhouette America created the .studio file type for use with their proprietary Silhouette Studio® software. Because the .studio file type is associated with the Silhouette brand, it is important that it not be associated with files that have not been approved and cannot be guaranteed by us. This helps us safeguard the integrity of our brand while ensuring a more positive customer experience.

Q: What are the advantages of selling my designs through the Silhouette Online Store?

A: The Silhouette Online Store has well over 100,000 individual customers (many of whom have subscriptions to the Store and purchase regularly). When an artist submits a design to the Silhouette Online Store, that design can be seen and purchased by any of our loyal customers. Also, once designs are submitted, the artists’ work is done—no maintaining a website, no marketing, no billing, and no worrying about customer service—Silhouette takes care of it all. Many of our contributing artists earn several thousand dollars per month from their designs. The artists retain full control of their work. They are free to sell their designs through other outlets (provided they are not selling .studio files) and can choose to remove their shapes from the Silhouette Online Store at any time. We encourage you to contact [email protected] if you are interested in submitting shapes to the Silhouette Online Store.

I posted a post on Create and Crafts face book wall as they were selling CDs that contained the studio format
this is their reply, Because of Silhouette greed the selling of studio files does not only affect Designers and small business but also affects customers who have brought the cameo and their buying power to buy studio files here is craft and crafts reply

Create & Craft TV Thanks for flagging this Linda, we have a comment from Silhouette which explains what you can and cannot sell, and have added this to the product description.
From Silhouette: “All Silhouette cutters come supplied with Silhouette Studio software. This powerful yet simple software gives you all of the tools to create your own designs.
Silhouette Studio also comes with a direct link to the Silhouette Studio download store where you can download thousands of designs for a very attractive price.
You will find a free download card in with your Silhouette cutter that will get you started with approx. 10 free downloads of your choice.
Some users like to use the Cameo cutter on a semi commercial basis, please note, while it is perfectly acceptable to resell your own original designs created for the Silhouette Cameo, Silhouette reserve the .studio format for its own digital download store, and it is not permitted to sell files in this format.
Silhouette Studio imports files from several different formats.
If you intend selling your digital images, please use the standard .gsd format which can be created with the free RoboMaster software downloadable from the www.graphtecgb.co.uk website.
Alternatively, you can create .svg files from the free yet very powerful inkscape software.
Of course, this restriction only applies to electronic files, if you create your own cards or other physical images, these can freely be sold.”

Graphtec GB Ltd
www.graphtecgb.co.uk
We are a leading supplier of powerful yet easy to use imaging and recording prod...
See More

Latest posts

Back