Watch out!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

concordia

Easily Confused
Just letting folks know that there's a scam going that hit us today. Someone (with a foreign accent) rang the OH while I was out and told him that I had been in a major car accident, was in the local hospital - to them not us - and they were the people who recovered the car. They wanted him to give his credit card or bank details over the phone so the care could be either fixed or returned to him. They kept pressing him that they were only the people who now had the car and had no details of the accident and didn't know where I was. It was only when they didn't say where they were after a number of times being asked that he twigged it was a scam. Given the situation many people would have panicked and gave them the info. Watch out, there are sick people out there who will do anything to get your money! Makes me soooo angry! :mysmilie_51:
Unfortunately, I rang him after this had happened, so the telephone number was not available through 1471 and the phone company said they cannot look back and find the number. But on the good side, at least he knew I was OK.

That really is the lowest of the low Concordia but I can fully understand some people being drawn into the scam after receiving such upsetting news.

The other day I received a text to my mobile advising me "they" had been trying to contact me regarding my accident! Now, do "they" know something I don't as to what's going to happen to me within the coming weeks?!

Wouldn't surprise me if these are the same pieces of filth that are ringing up people pretending to be from Microsoft. They purport to be able to fix your PC errors remotely for free...of course the errors don't exist, they just want to defraud you! Scum should be hanged for preying on people like this!

My guess is that they didn't, they were just fishing and almost got lucky. I now have a filter on the phone that rejects all calls that withhold their number, and it does cut down the cold calls trying to sell stuff. That's why I was hoping this one could be traced. Phone company did say if they called again to get the number and ring the police, letting them deal with it. Can't see that happening.

That is the lowest of the low! I had the microsoft one and called him a scammer but he did not give up and offered to give me a telephone number to check he was who he said he was! Also fed up with all the accident and ppi e-mails that come everyday. The weirdest is people phoning my husband's work mobile and asking for me. How do they connect my name to his mobile?

Never understood why anyone can be allowed to withhold their number. If you want to call someone, you should let them know who you are by your number IMHO.

PJ

he did not give up and offered to give me a telephone number to check he was who he said he was!

The BBC website had an explanation about how they do this:-
The scammer says he's ringing from, say, your bank, and asks you to ring your bank and ask for him by name to check him out.
So, you put the phone down, and call your bank.
What happens is - surprise - you get through straight away, so you ask to speak to Mr S. Cammer and behold, there he is, ready and waiting for your call.

Because they've called you, their call isn't disconnected until they hang up. They stay quietly on the line as you dial, then the call 'connects' and you think you're actually talking to your bank.

The scam you experienced today sounds horrible, Concordia - and potentially traumatic to someone who might be vulnerable.
As for getting their number, it'd probably be a faked one, so don't give it too much thought. Last week I reported two numbers for sending PPI/Accident Compensation spam texts, and was told there was no record of the numbers ever being issued.

It is so very sad that in this day and age that all of the wonderful technology we rely on for every day living is being used by the scum of the earth to scare and defraud people.
This never used to happen "in the past" may be people respected each other more or maybe there just wasn't so much information about us out in the public domain.
All you used to have to was to go ex directory and no one could call you unless you had given them your number , so cutting down on this type of scam.
Concordia your husband had a lucky escape ,say they had reached an elderly or confused person who was not as cued up as he was they could have been panicked into giving their details and only realized their mistake long after the scamer had gone.
But if they had been given credit card details could the card company not have helped to catch them as they must be registered somewhere to be able to take card numbers.Only a thought
But I am glad that you are alive and kicking Concordia and where not involved in a nasty accident.

I would advise people to read the Martin Lewis forum, the Praise,Rant, Vent section has quite a few of the latest scams.

Never ever text back No, as they know then they have a live number and can pass it on.

Microsoft never contact anyone. I did get two of these in the past year, actually felt left out as everyone but me was getting them. I just shouted I did not own a computer and stop trying to sell me one! LOL

I am ex directory and joined the TPS, have anon call block, yet still I get them coming through. If in the mood I repeat random Irish language words I know.:grin: They keep asking if I speak English?

The accident one is new to me and very very nasty. I hope they died of something painful and slow.

I am ex directory and joined the TPS, have anon call block, yet still I get them coming through.

I'm the same. Ex-directory, have the anon call block and idiots still ring me about PPI and other things that are irrelevant. It's shame they have nothing better to do that read drivel off a card or press the automated message button at their end. I also get PPI texts but never reply (my reply would be censored!) and today I had one giving me advice on how to solve my debt problem. Fortunately I haven't got, and never have had, a debt problem, so they wasted their money.

But to ring someone telling them that their loved one has been in accident is despicable and just goes to show the mentality of the people engaged in this activity!

It's awful to hear that this kind of fraud is taking place and so often as it seems.

I am not sure how true this is, but not that long ago, a neighbour of mine was talking about finding out through Facebook, that scum leave a bait - a baby seat with a baby sized doll, covered in a blanket, at the side of the road, usually at a wooded area or similar where they can hide. They wait for a suspicions driver (usually a woman), to stop and investigate and the lowlife-gang-of-scumbags then pounce on their victim, often rape, rob and leave for dead. So if you ever see something like that never stop yourself, just call the police and report.
Also she was saying that if you slow down to have a look, but don't go out to investigate, the scum usually throw eggs at the windscreen and hope that you try to wash it off by switching on the wipers. DON'T as the egg will just smear with the wipers/water and make it impossible to see out of your windscreen. Just continue driving as best as you can, till it's safer to stop.

Just to think of this makes me feel sick!!

God thats awful and really scary
It's awful to hear that this kind of fraud is taking place and so often as it seems.

I am not sure how true this is, but not that long ago, a neighbour of mine was talking about finding out through Facebook, that scum leave a bait - a baby seat with a baby sized doll, covered in a blanket, at the side of the road, usually at a wooded area or similar where they can hide. They wait for a suspicions driver (usually a woman), to stop and investigate and the lowlife-gang-of-scumbags then pounce on their victim, often rape, rob and leave for dead. So if you ever see something like that never stop yourself, just call the police and report.
Also she was saying that if you slow down to have a look, but don't go out to investigate, the scum usually throw eggs at the windscreen and hope that you try to wash it off by switching on the wipers. DON'T as the egg will just smear with the wipers/water and make it impossible to see out of your windscreen. Just continue driving as best as you can, till it's safer to stop.

Just to think of this makes me feel sick!!

Oh, gosh, it's true enough, and it's been doing the rounds for ages.
Back in the late eighties, my first husband caught a man prowling around in the bushes at the back of our flat.
He was about to thump the 'prowler', when he realised that the poor guy was already in a pretty bad state.
It turned out that as he'd driven down a dark, empty lane nearby, he'd witnessed someone apparently collapse to the ground. He stopped his car and got out to offer help.
A gang leapt out of an alleyway, set on the Good Samaritan, robbed him of his wallet and watch then rifled the car for anything they could find.
Naturally, the poor man ran for his life, and ended up hiding behind our flat.

You're giving really good advice, IceT.

Last edited:
Wow, so it is true, then :sad: I truly wished it was an over-the-top scare story coming from FB, but it seems the deprived human forms would not stop at anything! Such a shame, it makes you so weary of everything and prevents decent people coming to an aid, when someone in distress is in genuine need of help.

It is so very sad that in this day and age that all of the wonderful technology we rely on for every day living is being used by the scum of the earth to scare and defraud people.
This never used to happen "in the past" may be people respected each other more or maybe there just wasn't so much information about us out in the public domain.
All you used to have to was to go ex directory and no one could call you unless you had given them your number , so cutting down on this type of scam.
Concordia your husband had a lucky escape ,say they had reached an elderly or confused person who was not as cued up as he was they could have been panicked into giving their details and only realized their mistake long after the scamer had gone.
But if they had been given credit card details could the card company not have helped to catch them as they must be registered somewhere to be able to take card numbers.Only a thought
But I am glad that you are alive and kicking Concordia and where not involved in a nasty accident.

Sorry but that is just not true, they had scams since people have been in exsistence, they were just not as sophisticated as they are now. They are sadly always horrible people who will do anything for money

Sorry but that is just not true, they had scams since people have been in exsistence, they were just not as sophisticated as they are now. They are sadly always horrible people who will do anything for money

I wonder if it's also that since we have technology we get to hear of the scams, too?

In days gone by, you'd get ripped off by some bloke offering to tarmac your drive or cut back your hedges, and you'd grumble to your neighbours.
Now you can warn the world about that tradesman who takes your dosh 'to buy materials' and is never seen again.

Incidentally, the Welsh news reported yesterday about a pensioner who parted with £15,000 by buying catalogue goods he didn't want or need, all with the tantalising promise of a cash win because his 'number had come up'.
The man's family said they had a hell of a job persuading him to stop because he was convinced that buying just one more overpriced pack of vitamins would get him the cash.

My Dad got a call supposedly from his Bank, saying that there had been fraud on his account and a large amount of cash had been taken. They "verified" some details so he thought they were genuine. The said they would be sending s courier on s motorbike to pick up the card and would ussue a new one. My Dad agreed, then smelled a rat and went to hisbznk. No money had been taken from his account!

A couple of years ago I was driving home late at night and saw a teenage boy sitting on the village green. He looked odd somehow so I drove round the green to check him out. He didn't take any notice of me. I stopped my car and got out to see if he was alright. He didn't respond at all. He was sitting there staring into space and rocking back and forth. High on something I presume. Anyway I dialled 999 and they told me to get back in my car and drive far enough away so that I could keep an eye on him but so that I was "safe". Safe from what I asked. In case he attacks you or he has a mates waiting to jump you. What a ****** world we live in!

And yep. If I saw a baby seat, I would definitely stop and get out of my car. People are very callous.

The Microsoft one is a scam of a sort. They do actually provide you with software, the trouble is the way they prove to you that you need is the dodgy bit. The software itself is legit but its certainly not from Microsoft. I think that's pretty much been stamped pit now but it's been difficult because they aren't defrauding people in the normal sense. Still wrong but more difficult to clamp down on.

Latest posts

Back