Thomas Earnshaw (est 1805) *cough*

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Price Plunge

Registered Shopper
How can they get away with THIS?!?!?!

Tonight on Price-drop TV Richard Hardwick's flogging a consignment of Thomas Earnshaw watches, and all the watches I've seen being sold tonight have an on-screen description starting "Thomas Earnshaw (est 1805)". Now if they're directly implying that the maker of these watches was genuinely established in 1805 then this surely must be a case for the Advertising Standards Authority to investigate further, because I don't think any alternative explanation I can think of for doing this would be regarded as acceptable copy from an advertising standpoint, and that includes saying that they really meant to refer to the date that the brand was first established.

What are the odds of them blaming a "junior assistant" for a "mistake" and not the channel's bosses, who apparently are directly responsible for the text on screen that accompanies each item being sold on these channels, at least according to one salesman presenter?

Quite frankly if a company had been around for that many years, surely someone, just someone would have heard of them before!

There was a Thomas Earnshaw watch company at that time but it has long ceased to exist and has no connection whatsoever with the Chinese watches the spivs at Sit-Up are selling.The Earnshaw name has simply been lifted, newly registered to Solar Time Ltd and the watches are now being passed of by Bid and Price Drop as having a nineteeth century British heritage.This claim is entirely untrue and if anyone can be bothered to take it to the ASA I'm pretty confident that they would uphold a complaint.

Yet more cowboy market stall tactics in attempt to make their goods seem more credible when in fact there is no pedigree to their tat.

But Thomas Earnshaw watches are better than Breitling and Rolex. I know it's true because Peter Simon has said so. That fine gentleman would never lie to us, would he?

They made a similar comparison the other day. James Russell said, "If he's always wanted a Breitling, buy him this" referring to the fact that Brietling's are very heavy watches and so is this therefore it must be the same quality as a Breitling.

It's no wonder Bid TV sell so much John Paul DuPong and other so called fragrances - it must be to mask the smell of all the BS in the studio!

Latest posts

Back