Jimmy Saville

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Frazzled

Sense of humour intact
When Jimmy Saville died, I thought to myself here we go with sordid revelations about his life. I always felt there was something unpleasant about him and I'm not surprised by what's happening other than the sheer scale of it.

I can understand why some the victims didn't or couldn't come forward, but I'm at a total loss to grasp how hundreds of other people around him, over such a long period of time, did nothing about what they suspected or know. It beggars belief.

Many more revelations to come I fear.

I know of cases over here where the families of young victims of paedophiles went through the proper legal procedure and on each occasion the law let them down. The cops, lawyers, medical people and everyone worked their tails off but loopholes or whatever and the culprits walked on technicalities having been proved guilty.
I know of one family only (know personally that is) who had "friends" who took it very badly about a young girl being molested by a doctor who it transpired made a habit of such things. 5 weeks in hospital seems to have cured the dirty doctor though as he was never known to repeat his activities.

In 1985 I was in London and bumped into a man who had been a couple of years ahead of me at school, he was working for a tabloid newspaper as a v junior intern and his sole task was to follow Savile waiting for him to slip up and be exposed as a molester of young boys. (he was specific it was boys) He was like a shadow, following him and Savile allegedly told him on a couple of occasions "you'll never catch me!" I wonder what slant it would have put on the Leveson enquiry if the phone tapping had uncovered the extent of the Savile abuse and the BBC cover-up?

Jude xx

I'd be a lot more sympathetic to the journalists caught up in the Leveson enquiry if they'd unmasked Savile and his ilk, rather than aiming for celeb tittle-tattle and grieving families.

I do remember that when I was at school, we heard rumours about girls being picked out of the Top of the Pops audience to provide sexual favours to pop stars, DJs, etc. At the time, I put it down to feverish wishful thinking on the part of teenage girlies desperate to meet their idols.
Nowadays, I wonder ...?

I heard stories way back in the 70s. He visited children's homes in Northern Ireland.

Back then, there was no Child Line and children or teenagers were considered to be liars.

Here in Belfast there was a boys home called Kincora, years later stories of abuse came out. MPs, churchmen etc involved. Then in the 90s it turned out the army had the place bugged, knew what was happening but said nothing in case it ruined their trying to blackmail politicians etc. Rumours say Westminster MPs came over for the parties and young boys passed round like sweets. Many names have never been released.

I do remember that when I was at school, we heard rumours about girls being picked out of the Top of the Pops audience to provide sexual favours to pop stars, DJs, etc. At the time, I put it down to feverish wishful thinking on the part of teenage girlies desperate to meet their idols.
Nowadays, I wonder ...?
That was actually true Sublime because my best friend in the 70s was a secretary at the Shepherds Bush centre where TOTP was broadcast and she told me at the time about what went on, it was an 'open secret' that everyone knew about and Savile was known in particular for his penchant for the youngest girls.

Thing that gives me the shivers is his quote on HIGNFY when asked what do you do in your camper van. "Anyone I can get my hands on".

Can't begin to imagine what it is like to be a victim of abuse. Sex between two people who love each other is loving and the abusers rob their victim of ever feeling like that again :-(

PJ

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

Just when I think the whole stinking business has hit the pits, it gets worse!
I never heard any rumours about him, but I never liked the man. When he presented the first edition of Top of the Pops (1964 - I looked it up) my mother commented that he was a bit old in the tooth for that programme (he was born 1926).
In later life, he reminded me of the character Albert Steptoe

Last edited:
Well this story is still rolling - still more being revealed about him
I find it incredibly sad that so many people knew what he was & no one outed him.
I don't think the fault lies just with the BBC, newspaper journalists must have had a whiff of this stink too.

See Freddie Starr has just been arrested also. A lot of worms in the cans to be unmasked yet, i think.

Latest posts

Back