Unwanted guest

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Frazzled

Sense of humour intact
Decided to watch a film last night, put the gas fire on, whipped to the bathroom and when I got back there was a really loud buzzing noise which I thought was something on the TV until I realised it was a huge queen hornet buzzing round the lamp. :eek:

I'm not scared of wasps and bees but a 2-3 inch angry hornet! Fortunately it stunned itself on the light bulb and I was able to put a container over it and get rid. I can only think it must have got into the gas fire from the chimney and was getting a bit warm.

I'm very glad the cats were out, it could have been mayhem!

Shook me up a bit, I had to partake of a large alcoholic beverage!!

Well done Frazzled, they're really aggressive and can give a nasty sting I hope there's no more about !

Frightening. Have you made sure there isn't a nest nearby? I have just been reading an american detective book where one of the baddies who knows about insects uses hornets to protect his hiding places.

I hope not FP & DD!

I think I would I know if there were any more in the chimney from the noise the one last night made - fortunately I don't use the gas fire very much!

Just hope it wasn't a scout looking for a place for the family to hibernate ! (Do they hibernate?)

It's gone now Frazzled!

Reminds me of my May Bug.
Coming back very late one night (morning) I got out of the car to open the garage door. Just like in the films, Himself called out,"Don't turn round!"
I did (of course I did lol)
A May Bug was heading straight for me. Flew right at me.
No, I did not scream, I swatted it away & then felt guilty when it hit the concrete.

Lol! - at least they don't have huge barbed tails!

That reminds me of a warm night shift many years ago. The windows were open and a maybug flew in and started hurtling round the room because of the lighting. There was much screaming and panic causing everyone to evacuate leaving just the person in charge to cope!

The person in charge bravely dealt with the situation, whilst the others looked on, and calm was restored - fortunately there were no emergencies during the mayhem!!

Looking back, it was very funny.

If they're anything like wasps, this year's new queen hornets leave their compatriots and look for shelter to overwinter before finding somewhere to build a nest in the spring.
I've splatted two queen wasps in the past few weeks, they seem to be everywhere this year.

Been a very active year for Bugs, ARRGH! I like Maybugs, for some bizarre reason they are cute!

was at my best friend's one day when a huge hornet appeared in the room. her daughter ran upstairs and i ran out of the house, leaving her to handle it. she's never let either of us forget it ;)

Latest posts

Back