Vegetable Dishes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Frazzled

Sense of humour intact
This is re-post of lost thread:

I didn't set out to watch The Great British Food Revival but have seen two or three. I thought it would be about more the unusual but when the hell did the nation stop eating cauliflower, swede, cabbage, beetroot etc! These are staple vegetables aren't they?

This must be a generational thing surely I was really shocked. I thought I'd post a few of my favourite uses, the amounts can be adjusted to suit. I live alone, still work full time and don't always feel like cooking in the week so I always cook large amounts once or twice a month and freeze in individual portions.

CAULIFLOWER TOPPING
I like to steam cauliflower and broccoli florets together till just cooked, if I'm cooking for others, Christmas etc. I add this topping which is easy to make and can be done the night before.

2 ozs (50g) butter
4 ozs (125g) fresh brown breadcrumbs
2 cloves garlic very finely chopped
2 tbsp (30ml) creamed horseradish

Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan, add the rest of the ingredients and stir continously over a low to medium gas until it forms golden breadcrumbs. TAKE YOUR TIME, don't have the gas too high, it can burn in seconds!

Cool and sprinkle over the cooked veg – or store in air-tight container for the following day.

SWEDE
I cook in salted water, peeled and cut into small chunks, a medium swede and 3 good sized carrots. Drain well when cooked and mash (I use a stick blender) with a large knob of butter, pepper and a good grating of nutmeg – delicious!

GARLIC CABBAGE – cooks in minutes
I particulary like Sweetheart or White for this, but any cabbage is good. Cut the cabbage into quarters and core. Shred the quarters fairly thinly and add to a pan with 2 or 3 finely chopped cloves of garlic and a couple of tablespoons of olive oil (or vegetable oil). Cook over low heat stirring constantly for a few minutes, add salt and pepper to taste and cook for another couple of minutes or longer depending how you like your cabbage.

You can add sliced onion if you wish – cook this on its own in the pan for 2-3 mins before adding the cabbage and garlic (be warned this variation can cause a few social issues after eating!)

BEETROOT
Serve it hot, either roasted from raw around the joint or zap cooked ones in the microwave. I prefer them plain but they are good with white sauce. They go particularly well with lamb.

Latest posts

Back