Good City to Spend New Year

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

rosey

Registered Shopper
I would like some help - me and my husband had a fantastic time in London for New Years Eve and my birthday which is on 30th December, two years ago and would like to do something similar this year. The atmosphere and fireworks were fantastic and we went to the theatre to see Wicked for my birthday evening, then a nice meal before going to the fireworks for New Years Eve. Shopping and the London Eye during the daytime.

We would like somewhere they have fireworks for the New Year celebrations, maybe a theatre to see a musical, good shops for the sales - I like to spend my xmas and birthday money/vouchers:cheeky: Any suggestions would be gratefully received as we are finding it hard to find out what goes on in other cities around the country. Anywhere in England and Wales would be good - Scotland is too far for us, which is a shame as we hear Edinburgh is good.

Hope someone can help - otherwise we will go to London again, but really fancy somewhere different this time.

Hello fellow Rose

I have had some lovely weekends in Bath. Never been there for New Year so am not sure if they have big fireworks displays. There are at least 2 theatres and some great shops and restaurants, plus the Roman Baths and so much else to see, if it's all open leading up to New Year. It's really beautiful and elegant there. I stayed at a spa hotel so combined the weekend with a facial and swim as well. Just a suggestion, am sure you'd have a good time.

If you fancy going to France then I had the BEST NYE EVER in Disneyland Paris. The Gala Dinner was amazing with the most fabulous buffet I've ever seen, plus unlimited wine and champagne all evening. At midnight they had a Moulin Rouge type show and all the characters came to dance with us! Highly recommended by all of us, and I would love to go again x

Any of the Guardian's suggestions take your fancy, Rosey?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2011/dec/27/traditional-new-year-places-top-10

I can recommend Tenby, Pembs, which is on the list, but you won't find theatre other than panto, and there are no big stores, just cobbled streets with small, unique shops. You get the fun of a fancy dress swim or two, miles of golden beaches to blow away the Christmas cobwebs, and wonderful old pubs and restaurants with roaring log fires and mulled wine.
The firework display is huge, and even more magnificent when you see the reflections dancing across the water.

http://www.visitpembrokeshire.com/content.asp?id=2323&gclid=CNqqgZzeprMCFXHLtAodl0cA7A

Cardiff's good, but of course, I'm biased!
Phantom of the Opera is on at the Wales Millennium Centre over Christmas, otherwise it's panto and more panto. We have terrific shops and the hotels are good, but pricey. Winter Wonderland is always a big draw, but book in plenty of time as it's very popular.

http://www.visitcardiff.com/events/...ch-products/cardiffs-winter-wonderland-p16821

Hope that wherever you end up, New Year is wonderful for you. :sun:

Why not head up north and spend some time in the historic city of York. All on a small scale but completely set up for visitors....from all over the globe. Heaps of hotels, even more restaurants and an abundance of atmosphere....not to mention the Minster.
Even a link in the link below to lead you to a 'magical Christmas in York'.

http://www.visityork.org/

Thanks for these ideas.

Not sure about Bath - although it is a nice city - not sure about New Year there.
When I priced up Disneyland Paris, as I had thought of that, I came up at around £1800 for 3-4 days - way out of our budget.
Like some of the ideas in the Guardian. Cardiff also looks good - do you know if they have fireworks? I also like Cardiff and it is one of the nearest cities to us. We are going there next week to see the Killersat the NIA - and will do a bit of shopping whilst there.
I will also take a look at York - again not a place I had thought of.

I will have a good study tonight and ask hubby what he thinks too.

Rosey it's not a City and I'm not sure what part of the country you're in but have you thought bout Leeds Castle? Friends of mine went for a weekend and stayed overnight in the castle they said it was fabulous, I've copied the following from their website

New Year's Eve in the Castle

Count down to midnight and celebrate seeing in the New Year at Leeds Castle for a truly memorable evening.
Enjoy a champagne reception followed by a private guided tour of the traditionally decorated castle state rooms. A delicious dinner will be served in the Banqueting Hall before live entertainment and dancing.
The evening concludes with a stunning fireworks display over the moat at midnight.
Dinner £190 per person
Stay in the Castle from £275 per room
Call 01622 767855 to book or enquire.

Cardiff also looks good - do you know if they have fireworks? I also like Cardiff and it is one of the nearest cities to us. We are going there next week to see the Killersat the NIA - and will do a bit of shopping whilst there.

Cardiff has a gigantic fireworks display. [We must have some local councillor who's a fireworks fiend.]

It can be seen and heard all over the city, just ask my quivering dog and cat. :thinking:

Enjoy your visit here next weekend, Rosey. If you head into St Davids 2 - the biggest shopping centre, with John Lewis - look out for the money-off booklets of vouchers they're currently giving away. They're only valid on the day, but there are savings of up to 70% in certain shops.

Cardiff has a gigantic fireworks display. [We must have some local councillor who's a fireworks fiend.]

It can be seen and heard all over the city, just ask my quivering dog and cat. :thinking:

Enjoy your visit here next weekend, Rosey. If you head into St Davids 2 - the biggest shopping centre, with John Lewis - look out for the money-off booklets of vouchers they're currently giving away. They're only valid on the day, but there are savings of up to 70% in certain shops.

Ooh Sublime, thanks for the tip off! Was thinking of heading in Saturday. Where do I get the booklet?

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

Ooh Sublime, thanks for the tip off! Was thinking of heading in Saturday. Where do I get the booklet? QUOTE]

You're welcome! My husband was just handed a voucher booklet as he headed into St David's 2 last Saturday. I assume the vouchers were aimed at boosting Christmas spending because they were mostly for the sort of items you'd give as gifts.

Sorry I can't be more specific - these particular vouchers ran out on Sunday and the booklet is currently on the kerbside in a recycling bag!

Oh, and if you're heading here on Saturday [you might like this too, Rosey] check out the new flea market in St Mary's Street. There were loads of lovely things to browse, lots of arts and crafts, antiques, books, some rather expensive 'artisan' food ...

If you choose York then you could spend the evening in a fabulous restaurant called The Blind Swine on Swinegate. I ate the best meal of my life there in August and they have recently advertised a NYE extravaganza on Facebook x

Latest posts

Back