Rediscovering High Street

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Marina

Registered Shopper
I went for an eye test today (sounds ironic) to a central location and decided to pop into Superdrug. Wow! lot's of new cosmetic lines I didn't know about and ALL cosmetics buy 2 get 3rd free. Well, I was browsing and spotted a brand where most items cost a pound. The brand is called MUA. They have a very generous size eye shadows 2g both shimmery and matte, very nice so I bought 4 eye shadows £1 each plus 1 black eyeliner that comes with a sharpener costing £1 but free as a part of offer and a blusher costing £1 also free. So all in all I spent £4 that bought me 6 items and it equals standard QVC delivery charge. BTW, I liked their brow pencil £1, VERY soft but they didn't have my colour, I tried the blond one and thought it very good, very soft and very creamy. And you can try everything for free!!
Today a penny has dropped for me and I do feel ripped off by Q very acutely.

PS: this brand contains parabens and talc is the main ingredient, but I'm not complaining, it costs a pound and I made my informed choice, if I decide to bin them all it's only price of p&p that I've lost many times over with Q.

Last edited:
I went for an eye test today (sounds ironic) to a central location and decided to pop into Superdrug. Wow! lot's of new cosmetic lines I didn't know about and all cosmetics buy 2 get 3rd free. Well, I was browsing and spotted a brand where most items cost a pound. The brand is called MUA. They have a very generous size eye shadows 2g both shimmery and matte, very nice so I bought 4 eye shadows £1 each plus 1 black eyeliner that comes with a sharpener costing £1 but free as a part of offer and a blusher costing £1 also free. So all in all I spent £4 that bought me 6 items and it's equals standard QVC delivery charge. Today a penny has dropped and I do feel ripped of by Q very acutely today. BTW, I liked their brow pencil £1, VERY soft but they didn't have my colour, I tried the blond one and thought it very good.
PS: this brand contains parabens, but I'm not complaining is cost a pound and I made my informed choice, if I decide to bin them all it's only price of p&p that I've lost many times over with Q.
We all get sucked in at some point I think . I used to know a consultant dermatologist who "knew" that none of the moisturisers lived up to their claims but she bought them anyway because they smelt nice and for a bit of pampering ! Sometimes after a bad day I choose to believe the hype .I was in Boots this week and bought some half price goodies for Crimbo . The assistants were very helpful too !

Last edited:
I went to the High St today too.

Only went in one shop, Holland & Barret for crystalised ginger, bought 1 bag for £3-69 and then a 2nd one for ONE PENNY.

And I didn't pay any postage either!

A range of over 100 lipsticks, eye colours, blushers, mascara and nail polishes, all costing £1 each and exclusive to Superdrug.
Not everything is £1 in this range, trio eye shadows £2.50, also mascara more than £1 and even a "very expensive" large eye pallet for £8.

I often venture into our local High St and love the ability to browse, which is the reason I go....however, I detest negotiating aggresive yummy mummy's with their attitude of 'I have priority' and take up the aisles with their huge cumbersome, designer buggy's...their babies are usually miserable (although they have every gadget known to man stuffed in beside them) and get no attention as their mothers look through rails of fashion and cosmetics. I also detest the 'in your face' professional charity collectors who chase me about trying to get me to give them my banking details so they can deduct yet another set amount from my wages. I also detest the smokers who gather at every shop entrance blowing their disgusting exhaled smoke in my face. I also detest the shouting and the swearing which seems the only way some people are able to communicate in public these days.

I will continue to make the necessary trips to the High St but a pleasure it certainly is NOT(in my opinion), despite the occasional bargain. For those reasons I remain a reluctant QVC shopper, they are the lesser of two evils.

If it's Superdrug's own brand it will also not be tested on animals.

I love Superdrug but hate the high street. Mainly because I only get the chance to go on a Saturday - which means lots of people :(

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

I went for an eye test today (sounds ironic) to a central location and decided to pop into Superdrug. Wow! lot's of new cosmetic lines I didn't know about and ALL cosmetics buy 2 get 3rd free. Well, I was browsing and spotted a brand where most items cost a pound. The brand is called MUA. They have a very generous size eye shadows 2g both shimmery and matte, very nice so I bought 4 eye shadows £1 each plus 1 black eyeliner that comes with a sharpener costing £1 but free as a part of offer and a blusher costing £1 also free. So all in all I spent £4 that bought me 6 items and it equals standard QVC delivery charge. BTW, I liked their brow pencil £1, VERY soft but they didn't have my colour, I tried the blond one and thought it very good, very soft and very creamy. And you can try everything for free!!
Today a penny has dropped for me and I do feel ripped off by Q very acutely.

PS: this brand contains parabens and talc is the main ingredient, but I'm not complaining, it costs a pound and I made my informed choice, if I decide to bin them all it's only price of p&p that I've lost many times over with Q.

I have not been in Superdrug for ages, I used to love browsing in there, I always used to find something to buy:happy: Thank you for telling about the product, Marina:bear: if we buy 3 of some items, it is even less than £1 each!

I love having a play in Superdrug and also in Boots and Debenhams. Their makeup and fragrance counters attract me like a moth to a light and this time of year they always have lots of extra things to play with. There are some really good offers around and its lovely to actually see things in the flesh and to try them before buying and not have to worry about returns or refunds, let alone the dreaded p and p. I agree crowded shops can be little fun but I try to get into town as soon as they open and its a good couple of hours before the crowds move in to spoil things.

Free p&p

Superdrug's website is offering free standard p&p on all orders until 4th December and the 3 for 2 cosmetics deal is on there too. Delivery usually takes about 3 days, I used a previous free p&p deal to stock up!

There's things I love about high street shopping.
I love it when you go into L'Occitane and get a cup of tea while you browse! Been given chocolates in there too :happy: and of course free samples. Makes very pleasant shopping indeed.
Yesterday I also spent a very nice half an hour in Frasers at the Nars counter.
However, I did not enjoy the crush in Primark, trying to get upstairs to the pyjama section!
And as for prams, I was completely trapped in Lush by 2 of them! It's been 13 or so years since I pushed prams around but I'm sure I wasn't as disregardant of other people!
Anyhoo, pros and cons all round I guess. At least we have choice.

I can only get to the shops on a Saturday which is one reason for my QVC obsession but I'll never stop going to the High Street. To avoid the mayhem I'm usually in by 9.30 and gone by 11.30 latest. Superdrug is great but I am really loving good old M&S for shower gel and skincare at the minute. Not quite as cheap as £1 an item but still great quality.

For anyone wanting to try the They're Real Benefit mascara, Boots are stocking the mini size at the minute. Others may have it too but it's great as a try-me. I'm personally not that keen and reakly glad I didn't pay full price to find that out.

Oh yes Tangerine shopping in a L'Occitane store is bliss! As is Liz Earle ... you get a freebie every time you shop and they have drinks too. And cakes on a Friday.

I would love to be able to get to a "proper" high street.
My nearest L'Occitane store is over 3 hours drive away.
To get shops like John Lewis, Debenhams etc I have to go to Plymouth so still well over an hour and about 100 mile round trip.
So not great for just popping in.
So I watch Q and Google to find a better price and FREE p&p.

I went to the High St today too.

Only went in one shop, Holland & Barret for crystalised ginger, bought 1 bag for £3-69 and then a 2nd one for ONE PENNY.

And I didn't pay any postage either!

I hope it is not too narcistic (sp?) quoting myself, but I should have explained that the round trip to town and back takes almost 2 hours by buses, and I just went to one shop, bought one item (I didn't even look around the shop) then straight back on the bus again!

I used to love looking around shops, but now it's just straight in when I HAVE to go there for a specific purpose, then straight back again. Probably because the gadget shops have all closed.

I hope it is not too narcistic (sp?) quoting myself, but I should have explained that the round trip to town and back takes almost 2 hours by buses, and I just went to one shop, bought one item (I didn't even look around the shop) then straight back on the bus again!

I used to love looking around shops, but now it's just straight in when I HAVE to go there for a specific purpose, then straight back again. Probably because the gadget shops have all closed.

why didn't you order it online strato

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/requestcat.asp

oh look qvc! FREE delivery :smirk:

I often venture into our local High St and love the ability to browse, which is the reason I go....however, I detest negotiating aggresive yummy mummy's with their attitude of 'I have priority' and take up the aisles with their huge cumbersome, designer buggy's...their babies are usually miserable (although they have every gadget known to man stuffed in beside them) and get no attention as their mothers look through rails of fashion and cosmetics. I also detest the 'in your face' professional charity collectors who chase me about trying to get me to give them my banking details so they can deduct yet another set amount from my wages. I also detest the smokers who gather at every shop entrance blowing their disgusting exhaled smoke in my face. I also detest the shouting and the swearing which seems the only way some people are able to communicate in public these days.

I will continue to make the necessary trips to the High St but a pleasure it certainly is NOT(in my opinion), despite the occasional bargain. For those reasons I remain a reluctant QVC shopper, they are the lesser of two evils.

they use those prams as battering rams, especially in primark! and of course the poor kids are grizzling. being dragged/pushed round a busy town centre at shopping bag level isn't going to be a baby's idea of fun.

Latest posts

Back