Gift cupboard

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gemma1

Registered Shopper
The Price's candle guest has just mentioned the infamous " gift cupboard." How many Forumites have such a thing? Mine's the size of a house and is stuffed with QVC products, just waiting to be palmed off on unexpected and unsuspecting Christmas visitors. The "gift cupboard" selling tactic has been done to death.

It's like some of the things they suggest you take round to people's houses if you go for dinner.

As if.

When was the last time you went round to friends/neighbours/strangers for dinner? I used to have a gift cupboard where I put small things away for christmas/birthdays. I have 5 nephews and their birthdays are all just before or just after christmas so it could get expensive. Not that the gift cupboard was stocked with QVC stuff though lol.

CC

I thought the gift cupboard was where you put the stuff you can't stand but were given as a present ready to palm off on some unsuspecting postman/binman/ lollipop lady/ teacher/street cleaner etc at Christmas.

I have a drawer under the bed and throughout the year if I see something in a sale I stash it in the drawer for Christmas or birthday presents but only bitty things, nothing mega expensive and usually costing less than a tenner. At the moment I have half a dozen bits and pieces I`ve squirrelled away but they`ll be gone by Christmas and I`ll probably buy a few more in the New year sales.

The Price's candle guest has just mentioned the infamous " gift cupboard." How many Forumites have such a thing? Mine's the size of a house and is stuffed with QVC products, just waiting to be palmed off on unexpected and unsuspecting Christmas visitors. The "gift cupboard" selling tactic has been done to death.

The only one I know of is Jabba I think......& that's probably just to justify & stave off her own guilty feelings for all the things she's bought for herself! (Hhmm, maybe it works, I must try that myself.....my own 'pressie drawer' is currently utterly feeble by comparison, at the moment I think it only contains x4 N.I. varnishes & that's it....!) :grin:

I have a box where I squirrel away things I've bought as pressies. It's shoved under the bed. Nothing in there from QVC. Neither is there anything in there that I don't know who it's for.

I have a box, a plastic see though thing from Dunelm that I store things that I have specifically bought as presents for my family and friends, none of this emergency gifting for the odd passing stranger. What world do they live in, people can barely afford to heat their homes and eat and they are coming out with this nonsense. I realise it is sales patter but it would be more convincing if had at least a toe in reality.

I've bought the Liz Earle crackers for the Christmas table....don't judge me!! I don't have a specific spare pressie place, and usually end up using what I might have earmarked for someone else. I do give the candles i don't like to my aunt but recently I have tried to just buy the ones I know I will use, hence no TSVs which seems a good deal but not if you don't like some of the scents - so I just buy the large jars now. I am learning.

I don't give gifts at all! Well, I tell a lie. I give to my nephew and two nieces on birthdays and xmas. My sisters don't want anything, neither do my parents and I don't feel the need to buy for colleagues. If a friend or family member was quite hard up then I would help them out as much as I could, and probably buy them gifts too. But I think that in today's materialistic world where we all constantly spend, spend, spend - the requirement of gift giving (not gifting -grr!) has been lost.

From mobile, please excuse any silly errors!! :)

I saw the Liz Earle but it was the advent calendar that made my eyes water. All 100 quid's worth of it!!

Mind you flicking through the Jo Malone gift brochure last night I saw they have a huge candle at £260. It's 2.5kg but even so £260 for a bliddy candle!! I do love her candles but not at that price thank you. Sorry went a bit off track there!

I've bought the Liz Earle crackers for the Christmas table....don't judge me!! I don't have a specific spare pressie place, and usually end up using what I might have earmarked for someone else. I do give the candles i don't like to my aunt but recently I have tried to just buy the ones I know I will use, hence no TSVs which seems a good deal but not if you don't like some of the scents - so I just buy the large jars now. I am learning.
Haha LO I saw those in the LE brochure too and briefly imagined a beautiful family all exitedly pulling their LE crackers and then I pictured my father in laws face if a tube of orange flower body cream landed on his plate! Hope you enjoy them, Ill be sticking to a box from the supermarket unfortunately!

I don't have a gifting cupboard BUT I do store some 'bits and pieces' in the spare drawer under the bed, however that said, it is NOT for giving to passing strangers etc. etc, but for specific people who I know will like these items. ie, some smaller L'Occitance items, ie, handcreams, shower gels and Yankee Candles for different sizes. I too get sick of hearing about buying 'such and such' which may be fairly expensive to put away for postman, milkman, tramps on the street etc.... mainly from Debbie Flint I might add or from JF who constantly goes on about not able to buy anything for her many 'girlfriends' that are under £50!!!

I buy for my husband, my 3 sons and their partners, me and hubby also have 6 grandkids between us and he also has 2 kids with partners too. The only person I buy for outside of immediate family ( ie kids and partners, spouses and grandkids ) is my sister who is practically housebound because of a serious illness and I know whatever I get her will brighten her day. I don`t buy for friends and no longer work so I no longer have colleagues. I don`t spend excessive amounts on anybody not even hubby and throughout the year I squirrell away sale items such as silver jewellery from Debenhams which are usally around £10 to £15 in their sales, toiletry gift sets bought in the January sales and bits of stocking stuffers for the grandkids. We have 5 grand daughters and one grandson all of them under 9, so I spend quite a bit of time making bead necklaces and bracelets for the girls. In lots of colours and with fancy flower beads or butterfly beads and yesterday I found musical boxes in TK Maxx which held fancy bars of soap and then when the box is empty it doubles as a musical jewellery box so I bought the girls one each to keep their beaded jewellery in. I find it isn`t how much I spend, its their parents job to buy them the latest gismos or toys, its the fun and enjoyment of buying them little things I know they`ll enjoy opening or playing with. Our male children get a gift voucher for around £20 and their female partners get a piece of my Debenhams sale jewellery and a toiletry set, the Bayliss and Harding ones get sold off for around a fiver after Christmas, plus I make a few beaded adult bracelets and earrings for the female adults too.

I admit to spending a lot on my children and grandchildren at christmas. I give my children (25, 23, 17) gifts and money and the grandchildren lots of presents. I haven't been on holiday for years (I look after my mum fulltime) so I spend what I would spend on holidays on them. It gives me huge pleasure to see them happy. Christmas is a huge deal in my family and I can't think of one christmas since I had my kids that hasn't been a fantastic one. I do have a gift cupboard, but there's nothing from Q in it!

I have quite a small family which really helps with the gift budget. I really only buy for my parents, son and my partner. I give token pressies to my partners parents and his son. I also give wee gifts (£5 - 10) to four good friends.

My son is the main expense. And I'm happy to spend money on him but I try not to buy "guff". He's a really good lad and I love him to bits. He's the most important man in my life ... second in line is the cat lol.

Bless him. Son not cat. He's very generous in return. We both love Christmas. Everything in the box so far is for him!

Latest posts

Back