Why do we watch Bid & Price?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

monoboobooba

Registered Shopper
It's quite evident that none of us buy anything whatsoever on there.

We hate the presenters..

..the tat..

..the blatant lying..

..the selling techniques..

..the music..

So why can't we just turn it over? :angry:

I DO !!
I only ever catch bits when channel hoping , but some times it is like a crash on the side of the road so awful that you just have to stop/slow down and see if it really is as bad as it seems.
I wouldn't purposefully "tune in" to any of their shows.
But what I do see gives me enough of an idea of what goes on to know that they are all shysters and frauds.
Sorry if you love the shows.
I have in the dim and distant past (8 or 9 years ago) actually brought several of their cotton towel bundles to use when I was working.
They where great value and are still going strong.
It is a pity they can't get back to how they used to be rather than scaring people into buying over priced junk they really don't need.

I watch if there's nothing on tv or during ad breaks. You're right, I never buy anything and am constantly amazed that people do. In fact more than amazed ~ I get very angry that people are getting taken for a ride by these people. Madmax is right, it's like crash tv and sometimes you just can't help looking even though I despise myself for doing so! I shouldn't encourage them by adding to their viewing figures, but I figure as long as I'm not adding to their coffers it's ok.

I wouldn't buy anything from BidTv if my life depended on it.
I watch out of fascination with the things the OP mentioned;
the grotesque presenters
the lies
the cynical exploitation
the horrible tacky products
It's a form of entertainment I suppose although I am watching it less these days.
I do enjoy this forum though -knowing that there are others who also marvel at the whole hideous spectacle as it reinacted on a daily basis.

It's car crash telly. And it's live so what you see however amateur and cringe worthy it is, is what you get!

I would never buy anything on there.

I love watching the shopping channels, can't really explain why, find them "chatty" and entertaining, so for me a gal who loves a good chat, a good laugh, and buying stuff (especially like getting stuff through the post), would rather do that than trawl round the shops. Used to watch the old SHOP channel back in the day, I loved it, then watched mainly Qvc and Ideal World. Still watch Qvc at times but Ideal World has literally just ground itself down into a channel selling a handful of products on a loop. I just got completely bored of switching on and finding they're selling either a pressure washer or a halogen oven!

The sit ups have a wide variety of products, a wide variety of presenters, and selling tactics that are so bad, they're good, and as the good folk who frequent this forum know, the fun we have by guessing what ridiculous shonky technique they're going to come up with next. Some of the products are hilarious...the garish and shapeless dresses, orthapaedic footwear all being modelled by attractive young women who try and have us believe they'd actually wear these items outside of work! Just some of the things they say, the bombastic monologues, the history lectures that we sit through just to be offered a gold sprayed watch with some fake Italian name that's worth about 50 pence for a fiver (plus P&P of course)...It's entertaining stuff at times!

I can't understand what attracts me to shopping telly but it's been a guilty pleasure for years, since I first clapped eyes on QVC and a gold bracelet wrapped round a glass bottle........I was hooked. My husband thought I was mad so I had to quickly change channels when he approached :smirk: Many years later, we both got a bit hooked on Bid, (hurrah, he succumbed) and bought loads.

I've only recently started watching Bid again, as I used to watch IW (but I'm bored with them now) and I can't believe how low they're scraping these days. Holy Moses I'm hooked all over again. It's bliddy awful :giggle: I even taped it last night to watch Marina and Mikey, you know, the comedy duo :rolleyes:

:blush::blush:

It's the "car crash factor" that somehow keeps me watching as well, though I can now go whole days without watching the channels especially if there's something decent on proper telly (so to speak). During the Olympics opening ceremony the channels must have had a combined audience of five people :giggle:

Take this evening as an example: Mikey Mason kicked off a product sale by talking about the price of gold going through the roof before it was revealed on screen that the product actually being sold featured bonded gold. Surely it's an outright deception to imply that the properties of one particular product also belong to a vastly inferior product which is the one that's actually being sold? Where's the Advertising Standards Authority when you need them most?

Having said that it would be a disappointment for these channels to completely disappear because it would result in this car crash entertainment vanishing completely from our lives. QVC, Ideal World, Argos, etc., just don't cut it :smirk:

I can't understand what attracts me to shopping telly but it's been a guilty pleasure for years, since I first clapped eyes on QVC and a gold bracelet wrapped round a glass bottle........I was hooked. My husband thought I was mad so I had to quickly change channels when he approached :smirk: Many years later, we both got a bit hooked on Bid, (hurrah, he succumbed) and bought loads.

I've only recently started watching Bid again, as I used to watch IW (but I'm bored with them now) and I can't believe how low they're scraping these days. Holy Moses I'm hooked all over again. It's bliddy awful :giggle: I even taped it last night to watch Marina and Mikey, you know, the comedy duo :rolleyes:

:blush::blush:

Mommabear, you and hubby so need psychological help! :giggle:

I watch because I am weak :wave:

I feel the same way! Never bought anything from them (never will). Shopping telly has always intrigued me though since the early QVC days (don't watch QVC anymore - it's dull compared to Bid! :giggle: - went downhill when they got rid of Paul Lavers imo).

I watch because i'm disabled, old (got nothing to do anymore), on a pension, vulnerable, susceptible to BULL, & am easily scared into buying useless tat that I don't or ever will need :rolleyes:.

(did I miss anything?)

I watch because i'm disabled, old (got nothing to do anymore), on a pension, vulnerable, susceptible to BULL, & am easily scared into buying useless tat that I don't or ever will need :rolleyes:.

(did I miss anything?)

Would you like a worry angel with that sir?

I've been watching Bid for quite a while now...I never really 'watch', but like most people flick it on if there is nothing else on or during add breaks etc.

I use to watch because it was quite fun - 5 or so years ago the presenters were quite talented, yelled less, and it was sometimes quite entertaining.

Now I watch to be SHOCKED - the absolute tat items they sell, the presenters' bullsh*t, their awful and low selling tactics and just generally the whole car crash nature of it all. Watching some useless moron proclaiming that a halogen oven will 'change your life' whilst producing a burnt pizza is amazing.

Just the other day I saw Peter Simon jizzing himself over a mop for about 10 minutes "JUST BUYYY THIS AT 'OMMME!". It's so wrong. Yet so addictive.

Andy Hodgson. His damn near perfect Alan Partridge impression is the reason I watch. I'm amazed how well he can maintain it even after being on air for 10 years plus.

Just the other day I saw Peter Simon jizzing himself over a mop for about 10 minutes "JUST BUYYY THIS AT 'OMMME!". It's so wrong. Yet so addictive.

Ew! :grin: At least he had the mop to clean up the mess though

What a colourful description. Have you ever thought about writing children's stories?

What a colourful description. Have you ever thought about writing children's stories?

"Ay oop! I gotta telly you about my friend at the BBC, Jimmy Saville..."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back