Andy Hodgson - Sells JeanPpaul DuPont, HONESTLY

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wirral70

Registered Shopper
It was very refreshing to see Andy Hodgson selling Jean Paul DuPont for what it actually is, a discount fragrance. He didn't come out with any of the crap the others come out with (Macy's, US Department Stores, USTV Advertising etc), not a word of it. And he still managed to sell 81 bottles, well done Andy.

Peter Sherlock, Peter Simon, Nicola George and Mike Mason please try and take note (I won't hold my breath though).

Exactly what I was just thinking....just witnessed that myself, and thought "hang on a minute, he's not giving us a load of old bull, he's just trying to sell the product for what it is...a fragrance, not a big name, he described the scent, pointed out that the bottle was smart and told us the price...well done. Don't know if this is because Andy simply doesn't do all the BS, or whether they've now actually been told to not lie about jpd...Anyway, a refreshing change!

the more i watch the more i like him

when he has items for a 1p or a £1 he ALWAYS mentions the p +p and the call costs

ok they all should but they dont

he always sells a LOT lose than the shysters who say get 5 for 5p but i would bet big money he has the lowest returns rate of any presenter (or people who cancel when they find out the p+p)

Exactly what I was just thinking....just witnessed that myself, and thought "hang on a minute, he's not giving us a load of old bull, he's just trying to sell the product for what it is...a fragrance, not a big name, he described the scent, pointed out that the bottle was smart and told us the price...well done. Don't know if this is because Andy simply doesn't do all the BS, or whether they've now actually been told to not lie about jpd...Anyway, a refreshing change!

He dosen't do the extreme exaggeration and certainly dosen't lie but I don't know if that's beacuse he is so senior and dosen't have to.

Interestingly his Wikipedia page states 'His sales technique differs to the other styles of his fellow presenters'.

You can say that again :clapping:

like i said he doesn't sell the mass quantities others do ( or appear to)

but i am sure he has a very high conversion rate or they would not keep him

Andy is OK, in the unlikely event I ever bought a product from Bid Shopping I suspect it would probably be on the strength of one of his presentations.

Justin isn't as bad as some of the others either although I wish he'd cut out the constant hand flicking at the quantity and price, very annoying. However, like many Bid Shopping hosts he does suffer from the 'myself or friends and family bought something similar and more expensive'' condition though!

Last edited:
Andy is one of my favourite presenters as he is funny and doesn't care if people buy the stuff or not!

What Andy does, though, is a bit of a mystery. I know he was (still is?) a part of the management team, but I'm still perplexed as to how Andy Hodgson has managed to stay relatively honest whilst virtually all the others (Adam Heppenstall and Guy Kean perhaps excepted) have degenerated into an ASA-baiting pit of lies and mis-selling despair. And I don't buy the argument that he's a better salesman than the others because his spiel just seems to be based around a few catchphrases used by his Alan Partridge impersonation and little else.

Perhaps they could use it on some of the more unpopular presenters and hope they'll magically disappear.

I doubt even Blue Magic could remove such difficult, troublesome stains (on society) as Mike Mason, James Russell and Nicola George.

But even caustic soda would struggle to wipe out the very grubby Peter Simon, he'd still be screeching 'not only....great buying.....just buy it'.

I agree - Andy is a joy to watch compared to the others. He's so much more honest, doesn't lie or make or make outrageous claims and is fun to watch - oh, and he doesn't SHOUT.

What Andy does, though, is a bit of a mystery. I know he was (still is?) a part of the management team, but I'm still perplexed as to how Andy Hodgson has managed to stay relatively honest whilst virtually all the others (Adam Heppenstall and Guy Kean perhaps excepted) have degenerated into an ASA-baiting pit of lies and mis-selling despair. And I don't buy the argument that he's a better salesman than the others because his spiel just seems to be based around a few catchphrases used by his Alan Partridge impersonation and little else.

I agree with all you say. It has also crossed my mind that because he is (or has been) the head of presentation and in the management team he isn't subject to the same pressure as the other pit vipers.

Let's not forget that James Russell said on leaving Gems TV 'definatly my last stint at flogging crap on shopping channels. Good night, god bless... Much love' and then backtracked when he had to crawl back to the den of iniquity. Was he expecting ITV and the BBC to come knocking at his door? James, you have well and truly made your bed now, there's no escape from selling crap. You are well and truly typecast now.

Anyway, whatever the reason I hope Andy sticks to his guns and does honest pitches.

Last edited:

as i said earlier i would bet big big money his conversion rate is at least 15% better than anybody elses.

i think he is a decent salesman

for all he may or may not still be in the management he would not get any shifts if he didn't sell at least an average amount.

As he often refers to this isn't his dream even though i am no fan of russell et al people sort of ridiculing them for working on shopping tv are a bit harsh there are plenty of tv types/ failed actors e.t.c who cant even get on that.

as i said earlier i would bet big big money his conversion rate is at least 15% better than anybody elses.

i think he is a decent salesman

for all he may or may not still be in the management he would not get any shifts if he didn't sell at least an average amount.

As he often refers to this isn't his dream even though i am no fan of russell et al people sort of ridiculing them for working on shopping tv are a bit harsh there are plenty of tv types/ failed actors e.t.c who cant even get on that.

With respect it was James Russell himself who slated Shopping TV. It's not about ridiculing them for being on Shopping TV, it's about ridiculing their behaviour on Bid Shopping, not any other channels. I have bought loads of stuff off QVC and have never once been short changed by them, also bought a few things off Ideal World and Argos TV and have been very pleased with them too.

I fancy many of these shysters wouldn't last two minutes on a reputable shopping channel like QVC, Argos or Ideal World.

Last edited:
I agree with you Wirral70. I like to buy goods from TV shopping channels. I bought a laptop from Ideal World last week. But I won't ever buy anything from Bid TV because the quality of the goods are poor and because of the extortionate p&p and premium rate phonecall Bid products don't offer good value for money.

Reform the nasty cynical selling tactics and bring back the fun and genuine bargains, I may be interested but until then I'm sticking to IW and QVC for my TV shopping purchases.

I agree with you Wirral70. I like to buy goods from TV shopping channels. I bought a laptop from Ideal World last week. But I won't ever buy anything from Bid TV because the quality of the goods are poor and because of the extortionate p&p and premium rate phonecall Bid products don't offer good value for money.

Reform the nasty cynical selling tactics and bring back the fun and genuine bargains, I may be interested but until then I'm sticking to IW and QVC for my TV shopping purchases.

I wouldn't give them my custom for one simple reason.

I simply do not trust them. I certainly don't trust the incoherent blagger who is on Bid right now. Within the last hour he was blatantly selling a polycotton bed set and passing it off as cotton and I mean really passing it off as cotton.

Every shift he does he seems to misrepresent something, if not several products.

I have always liked Andy and the way he is upfront about everything. If Bidshopping read the posts on the Forum they should take note of the positive response he gets.

thread gone of tangent

i am not defending bid (please see my other posts)

i was just praising andy for doing the job in an honest manner and also in my opinion being fairly entertaining

Latest posts

Back