Why lie to us?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

tinshed

Registered Shopper
Last night I couldn't sleep so watched Mickey boy for a bit, he showed the 3 piece microwaveable containers and mentioned the fantastic things you could do with them etc..etc... a show reel then comes on displaying the uses of this astonishing bit of tat. The price is £9.99 next thing Mickey shouts stop the reel, turn the music off, we've made a boo boo the one we've shown isn't the same as the one we have here, we've mucked up.So that means we have to take the price down to a loss for us, cause we cocked up.... £3.75 buy buy buy astonishing etc etc etc now the only thing different was the fact the containers in the show reel had stripes on them where as Mickey's didn't plus he claimed the reel had 4 containers, he only had 3. Anyways turned the box on this morning, the frumpy looking one with dark hair was selling the same tat same show reel playing in the background. Can you guess the price? Yes amazingly £3.75. How these channels are still in business is beyond me, there selling tactics are disgraceful.

Last night I couldn't sleep so watched Mickey boy for a bit, he showed the 3 piece microwaveable containers and mentioned the fantastic things you could do with them etc..etc... a show reel then comes on displaying the uses of this astonishing bit of tat. The price is £9.99 next thing Mickey shouts stop the reel, turn the music off, we've made a boo boo the one we've shown isn't the same as the one we have here, we've mucked up.So that means we have to take the price down to a loss for us, cause we cocked up.... £3.75 buy buy buy astonishing etc etc etc now the only thing different was the fact the containers in the show reel had stripes on them where as Mickey's didn't plus he claimed the reel had 4 containers, he only had 3. Anyways turned the box on this morning, the frumpy looking one with dark hair was selling the same tat same show reel playing in the background. Can you guess the price? Yes amazingly £3.75. How these channels are still in business is beyond me, there selling tactics are disgraceful.

That'll be Caroline Lyndsay then!

That's really rather disingenuous selling by Bid, there. It's a fairy fantasyland where not only the presenters make up any old **** to cover up the misleading infomercial but also attempt to hoodwink the viewers into thinking that they are going to get a bigger deal as a result.

Quite honestly, someone shoud get Dominic Littlewood in to investigate this shoddy cowboy lot!

These channels make so many so called mistakes! It must cost the company a fortune?

Leave it out sit-up, your regular viewers have long been onto your selling tacticts. It's now way past the point of sheer boredom. Be honest, and earn some respect.

You can get microwave containers in the pound shop.

I happened to see the Base Headphones, white and red ones, that Mikey boy was selling the other week. They were £9.99 in Home Bargains. That got me looking for a base reflex sheet but I couldn't find one :rock:

The headphones were next to a telephone receiver in a box that I've seen on Bid but never watched long enough to know what it is/does. That was £2.99.

I happened to see the Base Headphones, white and red ones, that Mikey boy was selling the other week. They were £9.99 in Home Bargains. That got me looking for a base reflex sheet but I couldn't find one :rock:

The headphones were next to a telephone receiver in a box that I've seen on Bid but never watched long enough to know what it is/does. That was £2.99.

I've seen quite a few of bid's offerings in home bargains too. Always at much lower prices, and of course without the extra charges.

I've seen the Ocean ones that Mikey parps on about selling for £2.99 in my local B&M all the same colours. Its not rocket science to do a quick Google search of the same product they advertise and 9 times out of 10 find it a lot cheaper or pop to the shops to see if the bargains they offer are cheaper elsewhere. No wonder so many people get hoodwinked by the cowboys out there. I really do feel for the poor gullible people who fall for these tactics.

On another subject , he was selling the JPD edp last night and came out with the spiel about its took America by storm etc I nearly pissed my self with the bull that comes from that "geezers" mouth.

Last edited:
I've seen quite a few of bid's offerings in home bargains too. Always at much lower prices, and of course without the extra charges.

Our local "savers" chemist is replete with the stuff too. Possibility stuff sells for a £1 a piece, the handcreams and lip balms were slightly less. The channels are pretty much selling them for the same price, and are only worth buying if you're getting other stuff and you can avoid the postage and packaging charges on top. I must admit that whilst in Savers, I bought 4 tubes of the Possiblity raspberry hand and nail cream at 79p each, as they're only available from the channels as part of a set. Best handcream I've ever used, and that's a fact.

What i don't understand about BID UP is why all the shows seem to have different 'promotional techniques' for the same item? i don't particularly think they are as despicable as people make out, but their inconsistency really makes them seem that way. Its a shame they don't all just get on the same page. every other retailer employs sales tactics in one way or another. walk into DFS and look at their 'amazing 50% sale' for example or look closely at the 'money saving offer' in your local super market. BID UPS biggest problem as far as i can see is the total transparency of their tactics to their regular viewers.

personally i tend to watch with the sound off lol

Kat xxx

What i don't understand about BID UP is why all the shows seem to have different 'promotional techniques' for the same item? i don't particularly think they are as despicable as people make out, but their inconsistency really makes them seem that way. Its a shame they don't all just get on the same page. every other retailer employs sales tactics in one way or another. walk into DFS and look at their 'amazing 50% sale' for example or look closely at the 'money saving offer' in your local super market. BID UPS biggest problem as far as i can see is the total transparency of their tactics to their regular viewers.

personally i tend to watch with the sound off lol quote by KatBaker

The different promotional techiniques are down to a number of things - The way the presenter is, some as you probably know just by reading this forum, can spout BS like there's no tomorrow, whereas others attempt to deliver a more, let's say, honest presentation. As most of the stock they sell is "low end" (despite what they say), they need to try and disguise this because their extortionate extra charges turns every product they sell into something that cannot be described as a bargain. They cannot afford to be complacent, they need to come up with different tactics, so that the viewers won't notice that they're not getting the product any cheaper than they could buy it elsewhere (Of course we do notice, and we talk about it on this forum).

Let's say postage and packaging was free, or they charged a nominal amount, do you think they'd waste their time inventing all these "Technical hitches, presenter errors, cock n' bull stories and fake histories for the products"? I seriously doubt it! In reality they have to rely on enough customers thinking " Yes, that radio's a good price at £20 even with the extra £8 on top" But apply this to a £1 bath product, and £9 isn't such a bargain is it? And Yes, I think it is rather dispicable to try and have the customer believe that they're buying something exclusive, high end, special if you like, when it's widely available in shops such as Home Bargains, Savers, Poundland even, and even more dispicable to play on people's vulnerabilites. There's nothing wrong with making statements such as this fire blanket will give you peace of mind, these ice shoes are handy to have when the weather turns bad, this tv simulator tells people you're in, when you're out...but there's a lot wrong with the presenters, who to some no doubt are "a friendly voice in the living room" saying.....my elderly mother went up the road to post a letter and ended up in a&e, and whilst she was there she was burgled, when she got back she put a pan of soup on and it caught fire, sadly she didn't have a fire blanket and her kitchen went up like a tinderbox etc etc etc

You're right about Bid up's only problem being the transparency of their tactics to their regular viewers as we aren't boosting their cash pot.....it's not a problem to the regular viewers because as mentioned quite a few times during this thread "we are clued up, and won't allow ourselves to be taken in by them".

Latest posts

Back