The Down Memory Lane thread...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BusyMum

Registered Shopper
Inspired by the reminiscing going on in the Lily O'Brien thread I thought it might be interesting to find out what everyone remembers from their younger days...whatever...foods, drinks, perfumes, toiletries...

I'll kick off with two "scents" - not called perfume in those days as far as I'm aware, but my Mum used them...Evening in Paris and Californian Poppies...over to you...

Smiths crisps with the little blue twist of salt in them. Fizzy pop in proper corked bottles. The coalman and rag and bone man both coming every week. Metal dustbins the binmen carried on their shoulders. Roller skates with leather straps and buckles. Popping tar bubbles inbetween the cobbles with a lolly stick. Sanitary pads with loops and the pads were so thick you walked like a cowboy. Lux soap flakes. Big chunks of Fairy household soap. Max factor face powder put into a proper Stratton compact with a matching lipstick case. Devon Violet perfume in a little funny shaped bottle. Fully fashioned stockings and a pantie girdle with suspenders on it. Net underskirts. Winkle pickers, quiffs and Brylcreem. The TV test card and God save the Queen at closedown. Black and white telly progs. The Tiller girls on the London Palladium. I`ll quit now cos I could go on and on !

Was trying to remember the name of the perfume i loved, it eventually came to me Blue Grass. I remember that
fry's chocolate with 4 flavours, lovely. Trying to think of more things, but got an awful memory LOL

Was trying to remember the name of the perfume i loved, it eventually came to me Blue Grass. I remember that
fry's chocolate with 4 flavours, lovely. Trying to think of more things, but got an awful memory LOL

Ah yes my auntie always wore Blue Grass and I loved Frys cream bars.
Who remembers Twink perms, shampoo and sets, Bel Air laquer and Mary Quant lippy which was so pale you looked anaemic ?
Also Helena Rubenstein Apple Blossom perfume, mascara in a little plastic box and you had to wet it then use the little brush to apply it, talcum powder in tubs with big fluffy powder puffs, Nulon handcream and Max Factor pan stick.

My mum still buys Blue Grass, it's one of her faves! And she also likes talcum powder in a pot with a puff!! She's a very young 65.

I'm going to butt out of this thread now as I don't know much of what you're discussing, and therefore you'd probably be the same with my memories!!

:eek:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Me me me to the most of them. Didn't wear make up. Making up for it now, but remember the mascara
and you licked the brush, and nearly pale pale lipstick. And scholl sandals. And mini dresses

Gosh Capirossi, i could nearly be your mum . Join in sure and tell us your memories. Everyone here
is different ages, but you're the youngster he he

Crumbs, I remember all those lol. My friend used to wear Blue Grass and I loved L'aiment. Saturday morning pictures was 6d and I remember the Smith's Crisps with the twisted salt thingy were 3d. I used to buy a pack on the way to school with the 3d my mum used to give me, I was most annoyed when they went up to 4d as I could only afford them on a Friday when I used to get 6d.

The baker used to do a bread round too, lovely fresh beard from the bakers which was next to our school. My friend used to buy her Mum a loaf a lunchtime sometimes and we used to pinch bits of the crust off of it to eat! Didn't do it for long though as we got a proper telling off!!

Another thing I liked was the Banana split bars of toffee, I think they were 6d too and made by Palm? toffee.

Ok. Well so far I remember the crisps with the blue packet of salt, Fry's chocolate, scholl sandals (I loved mine!), roller skates that you wore on your shoes (again, much adored) and, umm have forgotten what's been mentioned!!

I'm not that young Barbs, I'm 39.5!!

Memories from my childhood....massive curly wurly's which are now tiny! Tupperware - usually orange to match our trendy 70's orange kitchen. Pippa Dee parties. Worzel Gummidge. Nooky bear, Basil Brush, Rainbow and Bod - I can remember lots of tv, which is ironic as I don't watch it now!!

Charlie perfume and Revlon products. My mum used to have Revlon parties as a neighbour used to work in the factory. I can remember the huge bottles of Flex shampoo and conditioner like it was yesterday!

Gonks, clackers and baby dolls which said mama when you tipped them over. Big silver cross prams. Radio Caroline on transistor radios which hissed and crackled. Afghan coats with long shaggy collars. Midi skirts with a split up the front. Hipster flares and cheesecloth blouses. Floppy hats worn with a chiffon scarf tied around the crown. Jesus sandals. White stretch boots. Tie dye t shirts. Jeans you wore in a cold bath to shrink them to your size. Kipper ties. Kathy Kirby`s beauty spot and Russ Conway. Coffee bars with juke boxes and the record counter in Woolworth with its weekly poster showing the charts.

Thank you all for your contributions ladies - Vienna, don't think you have to do it all at once, come back as often as you like, (I remember all the things you mention!) and Capi, I'm old enough to be your mum too, but please don't think your age bars you! My mum loved Blue Grass too, used to get her one every Xmas (this was in later years after the Evening in Paris and C. Poppies!) Sparkly - you didn't really lick the mascara brush did you - you mean you spat in the solid block of mascara maybe? (I did!)

Glad you have the same memories, and hopefully more to come - still on the subject of chocolate, anyone remember a lovely soft caramel bar called Caramello? Loved these when I was small! And jars of Virol? Better than malt & cod liver oil!

Plucking your eyebrows until you looked permanently surprised.
Thinking Cliff Richard was pretty cool.
Recording Top of the Pops on my tinny cassette player and yelling at my brother and sister when they laughed at Noel Edmonds' Womble coat.
Thinking Spotty Dave on the back seat of the school bus was a Greek god.
Discovering the underneath of boys' tongues was ABSOLUTELY GROSS.

Proper seasons, not like the drastic changes from one day to another now.......I remember packing away our winter clothes early May and not needing them again until late September! I remember dashing out to our one and only mobile Ice Cream van with a dish each Sunday afternoon asking for 3p worth of ice cream to have with our strawberries for tea.

Who else remembers the frozen Jublies which were so refreshing? Also Black Jacks and Fruit Salads?

God I remember all of the above and more! When I first started work in the mid 60's you could buy cheaper (2/3 normal price) rail fares until you reached 18, luncheon vouchers, able to travel home on the underground (after the pub) on your own and didn't feel unsafe. Our office had a tea trolley lady who came round twice a day, phones were cleaned once a month! by an outside company. Also, you could very drunk on £1.

I remember tupperware parties, and my mother in laws kitchen everything was orange. And i still hate
that colour, bad memories. And we had parties for childrens clothing, cant remember the name of it
though. My brother wearing jeans with turn ups on them, and buying my son a jacket in marks and
spencer with turned up sleeves, and he had a big ghetto player, think they did some sort of dancing,
i remember more about my childrens ages than mine growing up, funny that.

I remember tupperware parties, and my mother in laws kitchen everything was orange. And i still hate
that colour, bad memories. And we had parties for childrens clothing, cant remember the name of it
though. My brother wearing jeans with turn ups on them, and buying my son a jacket in marks and
spencer with turned up sleeves, and he had a big ghetto player, think they did some sort of dancing,
i remember more about my childrens ages than mine growing up, funny that.

Ah the children's clothes parties!! I will have to ring my mum and ask her, it's going to bug me otherwise!

Proper seasons, not like the drastic changes from one day to another now.......I remember packing away our winter clothes early May and not needing them again until late September! I remember dashing out to our one and only mobile Ice Cream van with a dish each Sunday afternoon asking for 3p worth of ice cream to have with our strawberries for tea.

Who else remembers the frozen Jublies which were so refreshing? Also Black Jacks and Fruit Salads?

I remember all the above, anyone remember "Evening in Paris" (perfume) how about TV.... The Magic Roundabout and Andy Pandy . LOL

Wasn't it a transformation to wash day (so my late Mum used to say!) when that wonderful fabric "Crimpelene" appeared? I loved my Crimpelene dresses which looked so smart and easy-to-wear work clothes! Mind you, the static could create problems at times........:wink:

Wasn't it a transformation to wash day (so my late Mum used to say!) when that wonderful fabric "Crimpelene" appeared? I loved my Crimpelene dresses which looked so smart and easy-to-wear work clothes! Mind you, the static could create problems at times........:wink:

My sister married in 1969 and her wedding dress and my bridesmaid dress were actually made of crimplene !

Latest posts

Back