Mike Mason - Outrageous Claim

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wirral70

Registered Shopper
Wideboy Mike is selling a Super Soft Microfleece Throw which was selling for £4.99. he claimed you could multibuy the item and could own 9 for under £50.

Well Mike, by my reckoning in order to own 9 when the item was £4.99 it would actually cost you £116.82, or £118.35 with a call.

The item finally went for £2.99 and even at that price it would cost £98.82, or £100.35 with a call.

A bit of a difference isn't it?

Last edited:
Are we sure that they don't now charge one p&p charge per item when it comes to multibuys?

I think if they did we would have heard about it, again and again and again!!

Just checked the website and P+P is still per item:-

How much is postage and packaging?

Postage and Packaging is paid per item and will vary on product weight. Please check each auction for exact costs.

http://www.bid.tv/PromotionsPage.aspx?Page=Help-delivery#delivery7

Varies on product weight? What a load of bull, a pair of earrings cost the same as a ****** tablet package or a halogen oven!

Last edited:
See this is a real and awfully scary problem with Bid especially :( Claiming you can get 9 of these for under £50 is fine IF IT WAS TRUE. Like I said in another post, not everyone is the sharpest tool in the shed, they may ring, and when the postage is added and they get asked for the extortionate final amount, they MAY feel under pressure and go ahead which worries me. I am really a mouthy and boisterous, confident woman, and even I got pushed into a sale the other day in a shop, I was shocked with myself, luckily I could take it back, but perhaps with someone lovely on the phone, being sweet and pleasant, maybe many people would just see it as 'their mistake' and just go ahead. I've seen it in shops with my own eyes :(
very very very naughty :(

I would like to know who told them that they could remove the notice "Per Item".

I think for regular purchases, ie not things on multibuy, then they don't have to put per item. When you phone in you are always buying one product, so all they need to say is that £7.99+call charge needs to be added. Why would they want to put per item, when all that does is underline what poor value it is? That's why I asked whether they'd changed the rules on multibuy, cause if they haven't and they're charging nearly £72 to deliver what could be as light as 9 thin scarves (well any delivery shouldn't cost that much, what ever it is quite frankly),and they're not mentioning or displaying £7.99 per item,they need reporting to the ASA AGAIN!!!!!

I think for regular purchases, ie not things on multibuy, then they don't have to put per item. When you phone in you are always buying one product, so all they need to say is that £7.99+call charge needs to be added. Why would they want to put per item, when all that does is underline what poor value it is? That's why I asked whether they'd changed the rules on multibuy, cause if they haven't and they're charging nearly £72 to deliver what could be as light as 9 thin scarves (well any delivery shouldn't cost that much, what ever it is quite frankly),and they're not mentioning or displaying £7.99 per item,they need reporting to the ASA AGAIN!!!!!

Merry, are only some items available to multibuy?

I assumed everything was, that's why 'per item' should really be displayed as it always was but that's just my opinion. For balance other shopping channels don't display 'per item' either yet allow you to purchase more than one of an item (although I know QVC sometimes discount the P+P when you order more than one of an item.)

I think the issue is exacerbated with Bid Shopping because the P+P is, to put it mildly, rather steep.

Last edited:
Merry, are only some items available to multibuy?

I assumed everything was, that's why 'per item' should really be displayed as it always was but that's just my opinion. For balance other shopping channels don't display 'per item' either yet allow you to purchase more than one of an item (although I know QVC often discount the P+P when you order more than one of an item.)

I think the issue is exacerbated with Bid Shopping because the P+P is, to put it mildly, rather steep.

That's right, I believe that only certain items are available on multibuy. With QVC for example their p&p is also per item, however, it's not a flat rate,so if an item's small the postage cost is reflected in that,still adds up though!

really?

whenever i watch the presenter or assistant sometimes give it the "can we multibuy on this one"

the answer is always yes

That's right, I believe that only certain items are available on multibuy. With QVC for example their p&p is also per item, however, it's not a flat rate,so if an item's small the postage cost is reflected in that,still adds up though!

This is the problem isn't it Merry, the very high flat rate of (usually) £7.99.

But again to add some balance Bid recently charged a highly reasonable £9.99 delivery for a 46" Television, the problem is they charge £7.99 for each pair of hoop earrings too.

If there are any casual browsers on here who are not too familiar with the channels it is important to remember you can order from the Bid Shopping channel websites and not only avoid the call charges but you get free delivery on orders totalling £50+, unfortunately you cannot make EasyBuy purchases online. But please note that free delivery dosen't apply to live auctions but do have a look, you can almost always find the products that have been on the channels live.

Sally Jaxx has just done exactly the same thing with another Microfleece Throw.

This one has gone for £1.00 but she says, quote (word for word, no selective quoting for any doubters) 'Don't forget you can multible buy up to nine with one phonecall and these will cost you nine quid, it's hardly anything'.

£9 is hardly anything, unfortunately £80.91 is a lot and £82.44 with a call is even more.

If anybody can defend these tactics they are upto something.

Last edited:
Sally Jaxx has just done exactly the same thing with another Microfleece Throw.

This one has gone for £1.00 but she says, quote (word for word, no selective quoting for any doubters) 'Don't forget you can multible buy up to nine with one phonecall and these will cost you nine quid, it's hardly anything'.

£9 is hardly anything, unfortunately £80.91 is a lot and £82.44 with a call is even more.

If anybody can defend these tactics they are upto something.

I heard her too! and something like 600 sold in no time

Absolutely!

My goodness, James Russell was also just selling the Microfleece for £1 and he actually said quote 'even with the postage it's less than a tenner'. Well done James, try and keep the honest pitches up. And it works too, 412 sold.

Mike and Sally take note. Particularly Sally, despite you saying this afternoon it was definitely the last chance to see the Yarvik before christmas it's on sale again in a bit!

Last edited:
I wonder what our resident <s>bid staff</s> bid defenders will add to this party? ;-)

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

I saw the bloke refer to the postage too, "even with postage its under a tenner", so so refreshing!!!! Gold star that man :)

I saw the bloke refer to the postage too, "even with postage its under a tenner", so so refreshing!!!! Gold star that man :)

Well I am not sure what has got into James Russell tonight. He was selling an interlaced bracelet and he not only mentioned P+P he actually said it is £7.99. He was trying to stress you will get it before christmas and that it is express delivery for just £7.99 but who cares, he ACTUALLY clearly told us the cost of postage!

Well I am not sure what has got into James Russell tonight. He was selling an interlaced bracelet and he not only mentioned P+P he actually said it is £7.99. He was trying to stress you will get it before christmas and that it is express delivery for just £7.99 but who cares, he ACTUALLY clearly told us the cost of postage!

think i need to go and have a lie down. Too much to take in all at once!

Latest posts

Back