JoyTab Beware

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nutsville

Registered Shopper
I spent my £200 via Flexi-Pay on the 9.7" JoyTab in August 2012. Yesterday I saw the JoyTab running the new Jelly Bean operating system. I tweeted Janice who recommended that I ask Gemini.

What was my question?

Can I upgrade the previous model to the new operating system?

Reply from Gemini "Unfortunately Jelly Bean is not compatible with the previous JoyTAB model chipset".

So beware, less then 2 weeks after completing my Flexi-Pay, my JoyTab is effectively obsolete as the operating system can't be upgraded.:angry:

I agree thats rubbish however its not really Ideal worlds fault its the makers of JoyTab.

The fact it's not running the most up-to-date version of android hardly makes it obsolete. It's hardly unusual in the technology world either.

as long as it works what's the problem ?

technology is always changing, is there anything in the new version that you require ?

Don't be fooled into thinking it's obselete just because it isn't 100% current for goodness sake, if you get into the keepy-uppy game with any technology you might as well sign away your kidneys and your sanity. There will be absolutely nothing wrong or slow or crap about the one you bought, enjoy it and don't be fooled into buying an upgrade. Nowadays manufacturers would have you believe technology is obselete by the time you take it out of the box and put the kettle on :) Enjoy your purchase, honestly, DONT get on the hamster wheel.
Merry Christmas :)

Why do you want to upgrade it? Is there actually something you can't do?

This shows why you should always research your product first.

You need to be careful with their computing products. They never give enough details of the specification to tell how up to date it is. They will show which processor family they have but not if it is the latest or previous generation it is, probably because they are selling end of line products that wouldn't compare well with other retailers with a newer model. I once heard their technology "expert" claim that a laptop wouldn't be obsolete in a couple of months time because it had a dual core processor. By her logic a 5 year old laptop would not be defined as obsolete

You need to be careful with their computing products. They never give enough details of the specification to tell how up to date it is. They will show which processor family they have but not if it is the latest or previous generation it is, probably because they are selling end of line products that wouldn't compare well with other retailers with a newer model. I once heard their technology "expert" claim that a laptop wouldn't be obsolete in a couple of months time because it had a dual core processor. By her logic a 5 year old laptop would not be defined as obsolete

And she would be correct - a 5 year old laptop is not obsolete and could probably run Windows 8 without a problem.

And she would be correct - a 5 year old laptop is not obsolete and could probably run Windows 8 without a problem.

Unless it's a HP dv9 and it was made with a faulty chip in the motherboard, so is kaput anyway and won't start up at all.

It is a common thing with Android tablets and phones. Doesn't make them less enjoyable though :)

PJ.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

Thanks to everyone that shot me down in flames. No I'm not a "keep up with the Jones". I waited nearly a year to get a tablet and honestly thought I done enough research not to get caught out. I'm disabled and on benefit so I wanted to be able to enjoy it for a long time with the Flexi-Pay allowing me to buy, as my late father used to say, the best that I could afford. I choose this one because it would connect to the TV so I could watch Sky Go, which I can't with this one. IW would've known what they were selling and what was coming up as they plan the shows months in advance because they have to buy the stock, get it in the warehouse and give it to the expert weeks in advance to become familiar with it. I hope that other not so tech savy people don't get caught out paying over the top for an end of line item, when they could save their cash and buy a cheaper one.

I thought it was the operating system that you was concerned about, now you are saying it does not connect to the tv either ?

If its because of Sky GO then its not available on hardly any android devices, i cant get it on my galaxy tab either

Thanks to everyone that shot me down in flames. No I'm not a "keep up with the Jones". I waited nearly a year to get a tablet and honestly thought I done enough research not to get caught out. I'm disabled and on benefit so I wanted to be able to enjoy it for a long time with the Flexi-Pay allowing me to buy, as my late father used to say, the best that I could afford. I choose this one because it would connect to the TV so I could watch Sky Go, which I can't with this one. IW would've known what they were selling and what was coming up as they plan the shows months in advance because they have to buy the stock, get it in the warehouse and give it to the expert weeks in advance to become familiar with it. I hope that other not so tech savy people don't get caught out paying over the top for an end of line item, when they could save their cash and buy a cheaper one.
I don't think anyone has shot you down in flames - just said not getting Jelly Bean is not the end of the world...most Android phones and tablets don't use and I don't believe there are many if any apps that do require it.
Sky Go works on hardly any Android devices - I think only the Asus Google Nexus 7 allows that at the moment.
I'm not sure why you think Ideal World has sold you an end of line product? It's still a very capable tablet and if you are truly unhappy with it then you can send it back.

So IW have recorded a special Christmas technology show to be shown today xmas day and guess whats on it The JoyTab, the exactly same one they had as a pick of the day a week ago and its the exact same price £199.99 and this isnt any special price , which means having it as a pick of the day a week ago at £199.99 was a complete con. Its the exact same spec and still comes withs the keyboard and sleeve, sorry IW but ur really let ur customers down with ur phony usual IW prices and pick of the days that are never just a one day offer.

Latest posts

Back