1/2 ct ring OMG!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

petpixie

Registered Shopper
Well two poor souls have just bought the crappiest 9ct gold ring for nearly £500. It's scandalous! With any luck they'll come to their senses when they see what they've bought in the flesh, but that still leaves them over a tenner out of pocket.

Well two poor souls have just bought the crappiest 9ct gold ring for nearly £500. It's scandalous! With any luck they'll come to their senses when they see what they've bought in the flesh, but that still leaves them over a tenner out of pocket.
I saw that too PP. The colour grading means relatively little in terms of a white diamond's value. What diamonds are priced on primarily are the inclusions, more included less clarity & fire. Note PS conveniently never mentioned the inclusion grading just the colour grading! I only know this as I bought a ring recently & hate those cheap gunmetal looking diamond accents you so often see, particularly on shopping channels. I bought mine from a jeweller in New York via Ebay. Everything was clearly stated and their description was verified by the subsequent valuation. When people send such rings back they will need to send it special delivery to cover insurance so thats almost another £7!

It's just crazy if you ask me! I suppose they were trying to say that the ring was worth double the price it went for, and the fools believed them. It seems pretty obvious you can get a decent diamond ring from a reputable high street jeweller for £500, where you be able to see it, feel it, try it on, all the things I'd want to do if I was thinking of spending that sort of money!

Not as bad as with Lisa Brash last night! Stephen Gayford print - she said "This will be going for about £500..." "Just to give you a figure, this will be around £500...." It is £199.99 on their website. People believed her, and they all went before the price went down and sold for £1074.97!! And when they went she just said "Lets move on!" ASA complaint lodged.

Not as bad as with Lisa Brash last night! Stephen Gayford print - she said "This will be going for about £500..." "Just to give you a figure, this will be around £500...." It is £199.99 on their website. People believed her, and they all went before the price went down and sold for £1074.97!! And when they went she just said "Lets move on!" ASA complaint lodged.

i saw this

was all a bit weird somebody multi bought the lot on the web for the ridiculous price

Maybe they are not alone in this but it's bizarre they don't give a full description of the stones.

Did anyone see the Tanzanite on QVC last night? I am no expert but they looked much deeper blue and I didn't see any AAAA grades, only AAA, and they were all set in solid gold upto 18ct.

An 18ct Gold ring with 1ct AAA Tanzanite and Diamonds went for considerably less than I have seen gold plated 'AAAA' go on Bid, it was about £350.

That's nuts! That is the most extreme example of ringing in too early that I've ever heard, and one of biggest price exaggerations/lies I've heard as well! The presenters encourage the viewers to ring in early, but if they all did, as we've seen here you end up paying way, way over the odds. ...and then not getting a full refund. It happened to me on a much smaller scale once. I bought a make up set from them, thinking it looked really good, rang straight in and ended up paying the best part of £30 for something that when it turned up on my doorstep was patently of poorest quality imaginable and would have probably sold in a shop for about a fiver. Checking later it was going on the website for about £11 and under....It locked at £22 when I bought it. Last thing I ever bought on the phone from them I can tell you!

I don't think they are doing anything wrong selling for more than the website price, many places are cheaper online than in the shops its the same thing isn't it ?

I don't think they are doing anything wrong selling for more than the website price, many places are cheaper online than in the shops its the same thing isn't it ?

I get your point but I find it hard to see how, for example, last night Peter Simon 'expected £220' for a watch that is openly on sale for £99.99 delivered on the website, it is at best disingenuous.

I am not aware of many retailers who discount their online products by over 120%! (it actually went for around £125 so a 25% premium to the online price, never mind the P+P and call.

It's quite a difference.

Last edited:
I'm no diamond expert but unless the colour and clarity are graded and clearly stated how can you possibly know what pile of crud you'll end up with? It's so sad that people are being misled like this and for such huge amounts of money. I'm hopping mad!!

Well done Benny! I sometimes wonder who actually is buying this stuff or are they even genuine impartial customers? Just thinking that if it sold for that much they can say that the next time to inflate the price more, just a thought. Utterly disgusting & good job re the complaint!

Well done Benny! I sometimes wonder who actually is buying this stuff or are they even genuine impartial customers? Just thinking that if it sold for that much they can say that the next time to inflate the price more, just a thought. Utterly disgusting & good job re the complaint!

Yeah, I can easily see presenters now saying "...this has gone for over £1,000 before..." They probably put 3 on speed auction, so they can say on bid/ price drop when they have larger quantities and a tactic to sell at a high price.

Latest posts

Back