Guidance please: GSI Certified Diamonds

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Pauli

Registered Shopper
Hi,

Does anyone know about the quality of the GSI certified diamond jewellery TJC is offering? There seems to be a lot on offer at the moment. Bought a diamond ring G-H, I3, but I'm in two minds about whether or not to keep it. Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Pauli

Do you mean by looking at it in your hand you are not impressed? IMHO if you don't like the look of it now you will never grow to like it. If you do like it then keep it. Don't matter what we think or what's on the card if your eyes like then that's coolio.

PJ.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

Hi,

Does anyone know about the quality of the GSI certified diamond jewellery TJC is offering? There seems to be a lot on offer at the moment. Bought a diamond ring G-H, I3, but I'm in two minds about whether or not to keep it. Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Pauli

I3 is quite heavily included. The colour grading doesn't really feature that heavily in the valuation of a diamond, it's more about the inclusion grade & cut. SI is far better, (slightly included). Hope that helps.

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. The ring did not meet the 'wow factor' when I opened the package, so I think I'll be returning the item. Thanks again.

Pauli

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. The ring did not meet the 'wow factor' when I opened the package, so I think I'll be returning the item. Thanks again.

Pauli

No worries Pauli, you're welcome.
If it were me I'd tend to agree with your decision. I was in the same position & sent a ring back to a shopping channel. To me it looked like grey glass when it arrived. I started to research what to look for in a diamond on google. There's a very good site by the Gemological Institute in the USA, (I think they were called that or similar). Makes me so annoyed when I see jewellery channels going on & on about the colour grading as it's just not the deal breaker. We can all see what flippin' colour it is, it's the ratio of inclusions that are really relevant as the more included, the more cloudy & far less fire.

I ended up buying an AAA tanzanite & diamond ring from an established jeweller on Ebay as they listed the size of each stone, even the accents and their full grading. The valuation confirmed what they had stated. SI stands for slightly included and ranges from 1-3 for decent diamonds. Sometimes there's virtually no difference between SI 1 & SI 2 to the naked eye. Good luck in your search. When you buy make sure the jeweller provides a full MBG so that you can have a valuation done & if not happy you can send it back. If you buy from abroad & need to send back postage is probably high but customs told me that I could claim my import taxes back if I sent the item back to the shop. I didn't need to as it turned out as the ring I bought was fab, paid £800 incl. taxes & ring was valued at £3,000 min.

Hi,

Pauli

Like you I bought a "certified" ring just before Christmas, and when I saw the diamonds wasn't sure, thought they weren't as clear as I was expecting. Then I compared the new ring to a ring I bought from TJC maybe four/five years ago, which has much nicer "clear" stones, which sparkle very well, and which I love. My older ring was under £100 for .25ct, so not an Iliana or certified. I have returned the "certified" ring. I think that TJC used to use the GIA to certify their high quality rings, so am not exactly sure about the GSI. Can anybody explain the difference between the GIA and GSI?

My jeweller, who I know and trust, said that GIA (Gemological Institute of America) wasn't something they recognized or had dealings with. Perhaps they were being tactful. I don't buy new jewellery, I prefer something with some age to it because the workmanship can be relied on in a way that some modern pieces can't.

Latest posts

Back