PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Kinkade - paragon of wonderfulness?

Enigma
19-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Peter Simon's been going overboard about how religious and wonderful Thomas "Painter of Light" Kinkade was in his attempts to flog people overpriced chocolate box pics.

What Pete's not telling us is how far removed from the public image Thomas Kinkade really was.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2012/08/22/in-battle-for-thomas-kinkade-estate-girlfriend-doesnt-have-a-prayer/

Died from a drink and drugs overdose and his wife and girlfriend are fighting over his estate? Nice :wonder:

Enigma
19-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Just goes to show, doesn't it? :happy:

Uncle Pete's saying Tommy Kinkade died of "natural causes".

Didn't know alcohol and Valium overdoses were "natural".

Adam82
19-01-2013, 10:01 PM
So did elvis died from drugs and Monroe also died of overdose, FAME is it all that.

Enigma
19-01-2013, 10:10 PM
No one's trying to sell Elvis, Marilyn or MJ products by saying they're paragons of peacefulness, virtue or faith though.

Greg
19-01-2013, 11:19 PM
pmsl!!! :mysmilie_471::mysmilie_471:

earwig
20-01-2013, 03:06 PM
We must all remember that St.Peter Simon will say ANYTHING just to get a sale...

deedee
20-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Well it's Sunday evening and Peter Simon is on Bid flogging a Thomas Kincaid masterpiece.
Cue not only haunting choral music, not only one spotlight on the picture, not only cathedral like atmosphere!
It brings not only a lump to my throat and not only a tear to my eye not only every time I hear the man's story :grin:
I quote St Peter, apparently Kincaid died at a young age of 54 of a heart attack - no s**t Sherlock - an overdose of those proportions is enough to stop anyone's ticker.
It just shows how even the sordid truth can be manipulated to make a sale!

Enigma
20-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Just read the BEST review of Mr Kinkade's work.

Suddenly, it all makes sense!

a critical review of the art of Thomas Kinkade (http://www.main.nc.us/books/books.cgi?acriticalreviewoftheartofthomaskinkade)

Adam82
20-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Kids don't listen to peter simon, do not take drugs you end up having a painful death.

PJ.
29-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Interesting what Wiki says about him - especially about licensed products.

Thomas Kinkade (January 19, 1958 April 6, 2012)[2][3] was an American painter of popular realistic, bucolic, and idyllic subjects.[3] He is notable for the mass marketing of his work as printed reproductions and other licensed products via The Thomas Kinkade Company. He characterized himself as "Thomas Kinkade, Painter of Light," a phrase he protected through trademark but one originally attributed to the English master J.M.W. Turner (17751851).[4] He was claimed to be "America's most-collected living artist" before his death[5] with an estimated 1 in every 20 American homes owning a copy of one of his paintings.[6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Wirral70
29-07-2013, 09:29 PM
You are all too cynical, especially you young Mr PJ.

Lisa Brash and Steve McDonald are Art Experts, they know what they are talking about. If they say Kinkade works are potential investment items then that's good enough for me.

I urge you to look, listen, and absorb their advices. Like Mason knows great sound McDonald and Brash know Art.

PJ.
29-07-2013, 10:35 PM
You are all too cynical, especially you young Mr PJ.

Lisa Brash and Steve McDonald are Art Experts, they know what they are talking about. If they say Kinkade works are potential investment items then that's good enough for me.

I urge you to look, listen, and absorb their advices. Like Mason knows great sound McDonald and Brash know Art.

You are dead right. Well apart from me bring young. Getting old me :p. Mason doesn't just know great sound he knows all. He should trademark the phrase "the experts expert" :p

newtobid
29-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Kinkade was a fine man

PJ.
29-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Kinkade was a fine man

You think?

The Los Angeles Times has reported that some of Kinkade's former colleagues, employees, and even collectors of his work say that he had a long history of cursing and heckling other artists and performers. The Times further reported that he openly groped a woman's breasts at a South Bend, Indiana sales event, and mentioned his proclivity for ritual territory marking through urination, once relieving himself on a Winnie the Pooh figure at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim while saying "This one's for you, Walt."[38][39] In a letter to licensed gallery owners acknowledging he may have behaved badly during a stressful time when he overindulged in food and drink, Kinkade said accounts of the alcohol-related incidents included "exaggerated, and in some cases outright fabricated personal accusations." The letter did not address any incident specifically.[39]

In 2006, John Dandois, Media Arts Group executive, recounted a story that on one occasion ("about six years ago") Kinkade became drunk at a Siegfried & Roy magic show in Las Vegas and began shouting "Codpiece! Codpiece!" at the performers. Eventually he was calmed by his mother.[38] Dandois also said of Kinkade, "Thom would be fine, he would be drinking, and then all of a sudden, you couldn't tell where the boundary was, and then he became very incoherent, and he would start cussing and doing a lot of weird stuff."[38] In June 2010, Kinkade was arrested in Carmel, California for driving while under the influence of alcohol. He was convicted.[40][41][8]

mr tom
29-07-2013, 11:09 PM
i love how they read a scripted speech, it sounds as natural as pamela anderson's chest.

aqua
30-07-2013, 12:56 AM
We must all remember that St.Peter Simon will say ANYTHING just to get a sale...

That's right-it's fascinating to observe the depths he is prepared to stoop to, rather like the TV evangelists in the USA.

newtobid
30-07-2013, 08:28 AM
wikipedia that great source of factual information

redraw
30-07-2013, 10:21 AM
well if it ain't true ntb, you can amend the entry on wiki :happy:

bingowings
30-07-2013, 11:05 AM
You think?

LOL. What's next? A quote from the daily sport?

Adam82
30-07-2013, 11:32 AM
James russell did some of his paintings last night, well what a flop that turned out to be.

PJ.
30-07-2013, 11:54 AM
well if it ain't true ntb, you can amend the entry on wiki :happy:

Hello RR and welcome to the forum, or have we met before? :)

PJ

PJ.
30-07-2013, 11:57 AM
LOL. What's next? A quote from the daily sport?

See our new feature, the Winged Wonders and our first stunner, BingoWings

Actually Wiki is known to be as accurate as other reference material as there are a host of volunteers who correct inaccuracies.

PJ

bingowings
30-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Actually Wiki is known to be as accurate as other reference material as there are a host of volunteers who correct inaccuracies.

PJ

Please don't let judge Judy read this I think he might go into melt down.

PJ.
30-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Please don't let judge Judy read this I think he might go into melt down.

Who? I don't want to be responsible for anyone's meltdown :p

PJ

Paul_s
30-07-2013, 01:56 PM
wikipedia that great source of factual information

If you check the Kinkade entry on Wikipedia anything written must be 'backed' up with evidence.

Here is the source material the Wikipedia entry is based on which Kinkade admits to himself personally.

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/mar/09/business/fi-kinkade9

newtobid
30-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Kinkade the man the mystery

was a great family man

newtobid
30-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Kinkade was a great family man and a big admirer of "Wirral" and "Pj" the rulers of internet forum. They are both regular purchasers of his survived work from popular Uk based award winning television channel Bid.tv.

PJ.
30-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Kinkade was a great family man and a big admirer of "Wirral" and "Pj" the rulers of internet forum. They are both regular purchasers of his survived work from popular Uk based award winning television channel Bid.tv.

As rulers of the net please get our names right it is PJ with a capital J and Wirral70. I wouldn't dream of getting your name wrong Newt O Bid.

newtobid
30-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Being such an accurate guide of all things factual i am sure Wikipedia and its great team of heros will soon fix the issue

Oh no Wiki is 100% accurate

So it must be true

PJ.
30-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Being such an accurate guide of all things factual i am sure Wikipedia and its great team of heros will soon fix the issue

Oh no Wiki is 100% accurate

So it must be true

You ok?

newtobid
30-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Kinkade is one of the top 15 artists in history

bingowings
30-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Kinkade is one of the top 15 artists in history

Does it really matter what type of ‘person’ Kinkade was? Surely we should be judging him on his art? You don’t see people turning there nose up at a Picasso because he was fond of the opium, or dismissing the renaissance masterpieces of Caravaggio because he murdered his pal over a tennis match, or knocking Richard Dadd’s fairies because he was a paranoid schizophrenic. Not to mention Vincent van Gogh who cut off his ear and gave it to a prostitute. Kinkades character flaws pale in comparison to some of those artists. I am not a huge fan of his art personally, but you cant dispute the mans success and popularity. And he did his fair share of humanitarian work too, especially with the ‘make a wish’ foundation. surely BID TV selling art from one of the most collected artists in the world is a good thing? or does the 'nit-picking' over a dead mans private life epitomize this forums desperation to always find something to moan about when it comes to BID TV?

Paul_s
30-07-2013, 08:14 PM
I wonder what would happen if Stephen Gayford became a painter of light? The meerkats would be fluorescent! :grin:

newtobid
30-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Bingo that post was almost as good as one of LORDWIRRALOFASA

PJ.
30-07-2013, 09:59 PM
I wonder what would happen if Stephen Gayford became a painter of light? The meerkats would be fluorescent! :grin:

Love it :)

PJ.
30-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Bingo that post was almost as good as one of LORDWIRRALOFASA

Why can't you be like ms wings? There is a fine line between banter and rudeness and you are way over to rudeness. I guess when you have no valid argument that's all you have left to turn to.

Enigma
03-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Does it really matter what type of ‘person’ Kinkade was? Surely we should be judging him on his art? You don’t see people turning there nose up at a Picasso because he was fond of the opium, or dismissing the renaissance masterpieces of Caravaggio because he murdered his pal over a tennis match, or knocking Richard Dadd’s fairies because he was a paranoid schizophrenic. Not to mention Vincent van Gogh who cut off his ear and gave it to a prostitute. Kinkades character flaws pale in comparison to some of those artists. I am not a huge fan of his art personally, but you cant dispute the mans success and popularity. And he did his fair share of humanitarian work too, especially with the ‘make a wish’ foundation. surely BID TV selling art from one of the most collected artists in the world is a good thing? or does the 'nit-picking' over a dead mans private life epitomize this forums desperation to always find something to moan about when it comes to BID TV?

It does matter when Bid TV are trying to make out Thomas Kinkade was a paragon of virtue: I made my original post after watching Peter Simon talk about the artist as if he had been the second coming of Jesus. How great his faith was, how dear his family was etc. etc. All set to lighting and a soundtrack that the Songs of Praise production team would have rejected as being OTT. The poor old ducks Mr Simon tends to target would have lapped all this up.

All well and good, except that wasn't Thomas Kinkade at all. Unfortunately, the man ended his life with a massive drink and drug problem, and due to his overcomplicated love life no has his wife and girlfriend fighting over his estate.

What does that have to do with his art? Nothing. But it DOES have everything to do with how Bid TV was choosing to present and sell these pieces, almost as if they were holy relics. And that IS wrong. It's playing on the vulnerable and needy. And that is a nasty way for anyone to do business.

bingowings
04-09-2013, 08:35 AM
It does matter when Bid TV are trying to make out Thomas Kinkade was a paragon of virtue: I made my original post after watching Peter Simon talk about the artist as if he had been the second coming of Jesus. How great his faith was, how dear his family was etc. etc. All set to lighting and a soundtrack that the Songs of Praise production team would have rejected as being OTT. The poor old ducks Mr Simon tends to target would have lapped all this up.

All well and good, except that wasn't Thomas Kinkade at all. Unfortunately, the man ended his life with a massive drink and drug problem, and due to his overcomplicated love life no has his wife and girlfriend fighting over his estate.

What does that have to do with his art? Nothing. But it DOES have everything to do with how Bid TV was choosing to present and sell these pieces, almost as if they were holy relics. And that IS wrong. It's playing on the vulnerable and needy. And that is a nasty way for anyone to do business.

So are you saying that someone who drinks CAN'T be a family man? and CAN'T claim to have faith in god? That someone who has a problem with drugs is a despicable human being and Can't be described as a family man either? That they are expelled from the church and are not allowed to have faith because they are struggling with addictions? That's all a bit 'daily mail' for me I'm affriad. To dispute a mans love for his children because his love for his wife faded
is pretty poor form. And To dismiss his faith too? Really?

This all leads us to the inevitable conclusion for any post which is peppered with sensationalism that it's a strategy to take advantage of the vulnerable. 'groan'

Wirral70
04-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Highly creative and artistic people are often prone to moments of rebellious behaviour but it's sometimes down to their burning desire to do things that others don't, or simply can't, achieve. I feel it's important to try and understand the mindset of these talented individuals and embrace their overwhelming qualities.

Kinkade certainly wasn't the only artistic person that exhibited 'leftfield' traits. Others that spring to mind are Emin, Hirst, Dali, Brash.

bidtvbs
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Highly creative and artistic people are often prone to moments of rebellious behaviour but it's sometimes down to their burning desire to do things that others don't, or simply can't, achieve. I feel it's important to try and understand the mindset of these talented individuals and embrace their overwhelming qualities.

Kinkade certainly wasn't the only artistic person that exhibited 'leftfield' traits. Others that spring to mind are Emin, Hirst, Dali, Brash.

you forgot Macdonald!

Wirral70
04-09-2013, 04:22 PM
We all know there are endless articles about The Painter of Light™ but this one particularly interested me. It made me think that Kinkade and Sit-Up really are a perfect combination and that the great man would be delighted that people like Lisa Brash and Steve MacDonald, who have the knowledge and experience to really appreciate his work, help to keep his light shining brightly. Long may it continue.

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/09/thomas_kinkade_the_george_w_bush_of_art/

Mommabear
04-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Talking of art, the expert one is getting a new stamp

Well peeps wish me luck off to get my new Michael Jackson tattoo, scared but excited see you all later xxxx

Wirral70
04-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Talking of art, the expert one is getting a new stamp

Well peeps wish me luck off to get my new Michael Jackson tattoo, scared but excited see you all later xxxx

This one?

Mommabear
04-09-2013, 04:58 PM
This one?

That's lovely :wonder:

I'm wondering where she's going to have it

Wirral70
04-09-2013, 05:02 PM
That's lovely :wonder:

I'm wondering where she's going to have it

This is a popular tattoo parlour in South Shields. I heard a rumour it's that popular they have a waiting list, the Brash family alone allegedly have them booked up until next Christmas.

9311 9312

As for the placing of the actual tattoo? I dread to think.

Mommabear
04-09-2013, 05:08 PM
This is a popular tattoo parlour in South Shields. I heard a rumour it's that popular they have a waiting list, the Brash family alone allegedly have them booked up until next Christmas.

9311 9312

As for the placing of the actual tattoo? I dread to think.

Looks a very plush place, I expect 'me Mam' is having the same done

Wirral70
04-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Looks a very plush place, I expect 'me Mam' is having the same done

They usually say to young people that they'll regret getting inked when they're older.

At least the tattoo artist will know that that isn't the case when a 40 year old woman visits their parlour.

bidtvbs
04-09-2013, 05:43 PM
They usually say to young people that they'll regret getting inked when they're older.

At least the tattoo artist will know that that isn't the case when a 40 year old woman visits their parlour.

the question is who has the better tattoo?, Our Lisa or her geordie sister Cheryl Cole!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2401342/Cheryl-Cole-confirms-shes-entire-derri-tattooed-roses-artist-shows-photo.html

Moet&muffins
04-09-2013, 08:45 PM
She's got tons of tattoos already so I'm sure this
one will look as classy as the rest of them.

Wirral70
04-09-2013, 08:58 PM
She's got tons of tattoos already so I'm sure this
one will look as classy as the rest of them.

And about as classy as Mason's too :happy:

MrMobo
04-09-2013, 11:11 PM

Very true, for example my brother had one done about 7 years ago and he wishes he never got it. It took from 9.15am until 4.30pm to complete & even then he had to go back and have it touched up.... even now he said it was total agony. He really regrets his, I am 50/50 about mine but I only got mine done to hide a big operation scar on my upper arm.

MrMobo
04-09-2013, 11:15 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2bs3r4.jpg

Wirral70
05-09-2013, 11:08 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2bs3r4.jpg

Wow.

Just wow.

Mommabear
05-09-2013, 05:02 PM
All done! take no notice of the fag packet on the sill :smirk:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTaD3cXCAAEYxQ7.jpg:large

Wirral70
05-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Lisa has a great figure, there no doubt about it.

I suggest she keeps slim and trim otherwise people may mistake the tatt for Rustie Lee.

I did notice the box of ciggies on the window ledge. The cider must have been out of shot :giggle:

Enigma
05-09-2013, 06:39 PM
So are you saying that someone who drinks CAN'T be a family man? and CAN'T claim to have faith in god? That someone who has a problem with drugs is a despicable human being and Can't be described as a family man either? That they are expelled from the church and are not allowed to have faith because they are struggling with addictions? That's all a bit 'daily mail' for me I'm affriad. To dispute a mans love for his children because his love for his wife faded
is pretty poor form. And To dismiss his faith too? Really?

This all leads us to the inevitable conclusion for any post which is peppered with sensationalism that it's a strategy to take advantage of the vulnerable. 'groan'

*Applauds*