Washing machines

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

D

Disenchanted

Guest Shopper
Looks like my trusty 25 year old Miele washing machine is beyond help. I've never had a problem with it before but the motor and timer have now burnt out and will cost a fortune to replace.

Any recommendations or "wouldn't touch 'em with a bargepole" suggestions? I'm not even considering a Hotpoint as my sister-in-law has had 7 in the time I've had just one Miele!

Huge initial outlay I realise, and I believe they aren't as good as they used to be, but I've been so impressed by mine that I'm tempted to get another - it might see me out!!

Well, my trusty Bosch lasted 13 1/2 years before the repair was going to be around the £300 mark so we replaced it with a Miele last year. There's free 10 years warranty on some models. Didn't really want to spend as much as I did but after much research decided there was no comparison.

25 years is good going Disenchanted - many marriages don't last that long! Have never had a Miele and I don't think I've ever had anything that's lasted me more than five years - I'm on my second Hotpoint at the moment! Luck of the draw a lot of it I think..I had a Bosch, I had a Philips Whirlpool (which went poppety-bang on first use and trapped my washing inside!), a Bendix, an LG...actually my "little man" washer repair man recommends LG if that's any use!

Just remembered mine only had the standard 5 year warranty but I increased it to 10 years by paying some extra which I could do interest free over a year. Oh, and loads of machines are near the Miele price as well now but with lots of plastic parts................

I had a zanussi washer for 15 years with no trouble and a tumble dryer, I gave the dryer to a friend when I had a new kitchen and its still going! I have a whirlpool now but have had the engineers out to it about 4 times in 6 years!

There are only the two of us, Carol - that must make a huge difference!

well three of us, my repair man was amazed when I said I used the washer every day, sometimes twice a day - and Fridays when I change the beds the ruddy thing's on all day! Well I bought it to use it, not to look at it!

I had a zanussi washer for 15 years with no trouble and a tumble dryer, I gave the dryer to a friend when I had a new kitchen and its still going! I have a whirlpool now but have had the engineers out to it about 4 times in 6 years!

Another vote for Zanussi from me.

Had mine just over 5 years, it has a built in tumble dryer and we chose it because it has a larger than average drum capacity. It has survived 2 house moves and should have had a nervous breakdown when my babies were born as it has been used at least twice a day, sometimes every day. It is rare that it gets a day off! We live in a hard water area so always use Lidl's version of calgon in every wash.

Now I could be confused here and I'm waiting for a call so can't check but I think Bosch own and manufacture Zanussi these days. I've got a Zanussi that's been fab apart from one small glitch that they fixed free of charge out of warranty because it was "only a few months out of warranty". I nearly fell off my chair! Anyway I'm certain it was Bosch I had to call.

Hope you are all sitting down - the repair quote is in.........

£530 for parts alone. :mysmilie_854:

There's no way on earth I'd pay that to repair a 25 year old machine.

Apparently Miele have "improved" the motor 15 times on that particular model and its direct descendents!

With a 10 year guarantee I wouldn't hesitate Disenchanted, great deal.

I'm a Bosch fan, only had three since 1971, only one call out for new door seal, current one about 10 years old. But the same as you, only for two of us and last few years just me.

My feelings exactly!

I can get a brand new Miele for a little over £100 more from our local Euronics dealer - with the 10 year free warranty.

I always use a local Euronics shop as well:up: Don't know which one you're looking at but my model is the 3204. Dishwasher is also a Miele and fridge freezer is a Liebherr who we were told make all Miele ones.

I always use a local Euronics shop as well:up: Don't know which one you're looking at but my model is the 3204. Dishwasher is also a Miele and fridge freezer is a Liebherr who we were told make all Miele ones.

Wouldn't go anywhere else - service is astounding!

Latest posts

Back