ASA Complaints Page

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bennyxp

Registered Shopper
I thought it would be good to have a page for complaints which people have given to the ASA recently (if you have)

1. Presenter selling Yarvik "This will be on again, but maybe not that price, and might not be on easy buy" Well, it was on less than 4 hours later, so the producer must have known. This would have lead to people buying thinking easy buy wont be available next time.

2. Solid gold - Why not say the weight? Because they wouldn't get as many buyers. Buyers will think it weighs more, so is misleading. I linked this in with Diamond weights, so hopefully ASA may do something and make them display this on the onscreen graphics.

I reported them for selling triplet opals as being "grade A triple protected" on Bid and the said items had a "variety" of different prices on Bid, sit up & their site. I wasn't stalking the product, honest, was just flicking thru x.

I reported them for selling triplet opals as being "grade A triple protected" on Bid and the said items had a "variety" of different prices on Bid, sit up & their site. I wasn't stalking the product, honest, was just flicking thru x.

Er, which part of that is the naughty part?

I thought it would be good to have a page for complaints which people have given to the ASA recently (if you have)

1. Presenter selling Yarvik "This will be on again, but maybe not that price, and might not be on easy buy" Well, it was on less than 4 hours later, so the producer must have known. This would have lead to people buying thinking easy buy wont be available next time.

2. Solid gold - Why not say the weight? Because they wouldn't get as many buyers. Buyers will think it weighs more, so is misleading. I linked this in with Diamond weights, so hopefully ASA may do something and make them display this on the onscreen graphics.

1. They said 'maybe' there is nothing wrong with that. Had the sale been very successful they may well have pulled it later on and replaced it with another product. Remember the DFS and sofa world sales end this Sunday- visit now so not to miss out on these one off savings! Retailers have been doing these kind of things for years and will be, the ASA are just appeasing you listing to these complaints.

2. Solid gold, an accurate description. If you don't know the weight and haven't done your research - don't buy gold. If you haven't done your research don't put money in the stock market. If you haven't done ours research don't attempt open heart surgery....etc etc

:) x

1. They said 'maybe' there is nothing wrong with that. Had the sale been very successful they may well have pulled it later on and replaced it with another product. Remember the DFS and sofa world sales end this Sunday- visit now so not to miss out on these one off savings! Retailers have been doing these kind of things for years and will be, the ASA are just appeasing you listing to these complaints.

2. Solid gold, an accurate description. If you don't know the weight and haven't done your research - don't buy gold. If you haven't done your research don't put money in the stock market. If you haven't done ours research don't attempt open heart surgery....etc etc

yet more irrelevant twaddle
I'm sorry ilovebid but come back when you have something constructive, intelligent and well thought through to contribute

Er, which part of that is the naughty part?

If you can't tell that from my post ILB then may I suggest you read again or google triplet opals & then compare to solid opals. One's cheap as chips & the other isn't depending on quality :wink: Like you have suggested to others, research.

If you can't tell that from my post ILB then may I suggest you read again or google triplet opals & then compare to solid opals. One's cheap as chips & the other isn't depending on quality :wink: Like you have suggested to others, research.

I'm liking your style Nikki
That's exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about :hi:

yet more irrelevant twaddle
I'm sorry ilovebid but come back when you have something constructive, intelligent and well thought through to contribute

Er, that was constructive (just not YOUR opinion), intelligent and well thought out (I even gave current, factual examples) and I responded point by point.

If you disagree them respond point by point, don't just poo poo it all like a child.

Sorry, I'm not up on jewellery, closest I get is a watch (which for the record I would never buy off bid!).
Was the problem that they where not 'triple protected' or because implied they were the more expensive solid ones?

Sorry, I'm not up on jewellery, closest I get is a watch (which for the record I would never buy off bid!).
Was the problem that they where not 'triple protected' or because implied they were the more expensive solid ones?

The problem is that there's no such thing as "triple protected opals". Nor did the presenters explain what a triplet opal is (a backing stone, a sliver of opal, then a cover of clear quartz or even plastic).

Then why are Bid attempting to sell their "solid gold" jewellery without providing any weight info if you say people should never purchase gold without it?

Also, is extremely difficult to research something if the seller is not giving you full details, no?

So, your argument now is "Buyer beware"? The buyer gets what they deserve for purchasing something purely on the seller's say so without digging further?

I enjoy your posts ILB: keep them coming :wink:

Er, that was constructive (just not YOUR opinion), intelligent and well thought out (I even gave current, factual examples) and I responded point by point.

If you disagree them respond point by point, don't just poo poo it all like a child.

I'll have a go!!
1) I agree there's nothing wrong with 'maybe' or 'might' etc. these words of vagueness can be very useful get out of jail free cards.
However, the shows are scheduled days in advance so of course they know whether the product will be back or not, it is, therefore, a blatant lie to say things like 'I don't know if you'll see this again, or whether it'll be at this price'.
2) I also agree with you that it's a good idea to research products you want to buy.
However, I would suggest that most purchases from Bid are impulse buys with no time for research. Therefore, we rely on the presenter telling us the truth like carat weights, gold weight and purity, even handbag size is important. So all most of us ask is truth, clarity and transparency.
Oh, and as a qualified healthcare professional, I wouldn't recommend anyone have a go at open heart surgery after doing research, it usually take many more years of practical training than that!!

Last edited:

1) MAYBE. Yes, this would have been fine if the Yarvik came back the next day with the same offer, but not in the next shift where nicola even mentioned it would be on again later!

2) It's obvious misleading, otherwise why wouldn't they say/ put in the description the weight? If it was 20g I'm sure we wouldn't hear the last of it.

It was the latter, they were selling triplet opals as triple protected a grade.

By the way, is anyone else intrigued by Ilovebid's change of posts?

When they joined, they stated very clearly that they could counter any argument we could make that Bid was selling goods fraudulently. But now they're happily attacking the ASA ("toothless") and the people who buy from Bid ("should do their research").

So much for a reasoned debate.

Now, why would someone who says they have no links to Bid be so passionate about defending this channel? Why would someone impartial be suddenly so upset by the ASA when presenters are now being forced to mention P&P and clarify exactly what they're saying?

Intriguing, isn't it? :wonder:

By the way, is anyone else intrigued by Ilovebid's change of posts?

When they joined, they stated very clearly that they could counter any argument we could make that Bid was selling goods fraudulently. But now they're happily attacking the ASA ("toothless") and the people who buy from Bid ("should do their research").

So much for a reasoned debate.

Now, why would someone who says they have no links to Bid be so passionate about defending this channel? Why would someone impartial be suddenly so upset by the ASA when presenters are now being forced to mention P&P and clarify exactly what they're saying?

Intriguing, isn't it? :wonder:

Enigma, the you've put the thoughts in my head down in text.
I'm just watching and seeing how it goes for the time being.
I've already locked horns with ILB and do not want to be drawn into any trolling.
There has been some unpleasantness around recently so I'm afraid I get very suspicious of those who defend Bid so vociferously................the indefensible cannot be defended in my eyes.

I don't get the point about doing research before buying some gold from them, How can you research the item which might only be sold by them, At best you could look for similar items and guess but that's still not going to tell you exactly how much your getting

They used to always tell you how many grams were in the gold from those massive gold chains down to the 3g bracelets

To be fair to them though I watched Andy H and Peter Simon last night and both kept mentioning the p&p in every sale, Andy also mentioned the phone call which is something I have noticed Peter Simon avoids but on the whole it was very watchable last night and I liked that we had only a short time of themed items, I've always enjoyed the randomness going from a throw to a a ring to a set of pillows and a food processor, I don't know about anyone else on here but I can't watch 3 hours of jewellery it just gets boring, They also seemed to be having some fun last night with less hard sell which was nice to see, lets keep it up bid

The problem is that there's no such thing as "triple protected opals". Nor did the presenters explain what a triplet opal is (a backing stone, a sliver of opal, then a cover of clear quartz or even plastic).

Ah, I understand. Maybe holding back that information was a bit naughty

Then why are Bid attempting to sell their "solid gold" jewellery without providing any weight info if you say people should never purchase gold without it?

Also, is extremely difficult to research something if the seller is not giving you full details, no?

So, your argument now is "Buyer beware"? The buyer gets what they deserve for purchasing something purely on the seller's say so without digging further?

I enjoy your posts ILB: keep them coming :wink:

Yes, spot on, buyer beware - I agree it's certainly not the most honest way of selling something by 'not volunteering information that would otherwise make the buyer rethink the purchase' but it works and its well within the law.

I wonder how many of a piece of jewellery they would sell if they just put it on screen with a price and said nothing, with no description...just have Peter Simons stood there smiling going 'isn't is just amazing'...

Latest posts

Back