Mrs Hirons: She's the Business

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

She's a good writer, I think this was where the Liz Earle resigning story came from, Caroline is really in the know!:tongue:

I like her and her advice. No nonsense.

She can recommend any brand because of her independence whereas Miss Ali is confined to Q products and there's the weakness in Ali's advice.

I always wondered why I was one of the few that did not get on with Liz's Cleanse & Polish (pre allergy days). According to Ms Hiron, it is likely to be the camphor in the ingredients.

Unfortunately, the link no longer works!
Neither does a google search. "The Clinic is Closed" - that's all I get now.
Shame.

OH!
Found another site (I should really be showing this place a duster).
I'll quote it in case this page disappears

One particular piece of advice Caroline gave came as a surprise to me. She recommended us all to steer away from foaming face washes as they create an alkaline surface on the skin which therefore becomes a breeding ground for acne. With my acne prone skin, I really can’t afford to get breakouts so the second I find out that something is able to contribute to causing acne, it’s straight into the bin!

Instead, Caroline suggested using an oil or balm cleanser and flannel and to double cleanse daily if we’re wearing make-up or an SPF. She pointed out that many people complain about a sun cream breaking them out but as it gets deep into the pores, if you’re not cleansing properly then it’s inevitable that you’d break out.
http://muslimahbeauty.com/2012/06/1...g-youd-never-know-could-be-causing-your-acne/

Things I say over and over again in the Clinic - OR - things the Clinic has brought up - OR - A Friday rant.

You are obsessed with your pores. They do not open and close like doors. You say they are HUGE - then send me a picture and I can SEE NOTHING.
We CANNOT see your pores. The only person that can see your pores close-up is your opthamologist - or your boyfriend. Your opthamologist is looking at your eyes. Not your pores. And if your boyfriend is thisclosetoyou and notices your pores? He's gay. Or not attracted to you. Or at best, rude. Rethink the entire relationship.

You overuse the Clarisonic. A lot of you. A LOT of you. You can use it - you're just not meant to use it every time you brush your frigging teeth. Step away from the trendy facial tool and wash your ****** face properly.

Nothing good ever came from scrubbing your face with a peach kernel. There's a reason they are 99p. Step away.

In general, foaming is what you want Fairy Liquid to do. Not your cleanser. And to the brands: I am unapologetic.

Freckles are cute. At any age. You will do damage to your skin trying to get rid of them. Leave them alone. Embrace them.

Stress is the key to most flare-ups, whether they are acne, rosacea or eczema. Practise relaxation. And not in some hippy-dippy way. Seriously. See the bigger picture. Chill.

Inflammation is the root of all evil. Eat less sugar, take more fish oil supplements. A lot of fish supplements.

Natural doesn't mean you won't react. Essential oils are one of the biggest triggers for skin.

'Dupes' belong in makeup and nail varnish. There is no 'dupe' for a high quality, years-of-research-behind-it skincare product.

Spend your money on supplements, skincare, foundation and concealer and scrimp on the rest. You will look fabulous.
If you would spend more on shoes, handbags, lipstick, jeans or fashion in general than you would on high quality skincare - you will be a sixty year old woman (and man) with a vintage wardrobe and a face like an alligator.

Well this has been enjoyable. Same time next week?

http://www.beautymouth.com/2012/07/things-i-say-over-and-over-again-in.html

I always wondered why I was one of the few that did not get on with Liz's Cleanse & Polish (pre allergy days). According to Ms Hiron, it is likely to be the camphor in the ingredients.

Not suggesting for one minute that you risk trying it again Min but I don't think there's nearly as much camphor in it now. I started a new pump this week - one of the XL Xmas sizes - and it doesn't smell the same to me. I know I'm covering old ground here but I do hope Avon don't change the formula!

Good sensible advice fom Mrs Hirons and the other site.

Remember what Quentin Crisp said about dust...........

It made my skin feel very tight first time around, but I wouldn't dare risk it post allergy. I wouldn't trust the plant extracts these days.

Quentin Crisp is my hero - in theory. I can't stand dust really.

I like the Mrs Hirons site - good, unbiased advice - another find to keep me attached to the computer.

Quentin Crisp is my hero - in theory. I can't stand dust really.

Nor me - but one day I'll put his theory to the test and report back to you!

Very interesting info on toners - I always use the LE one after C&Ping.

ah, interesting reading Min! I always use a toner...in my youth it was "astringent" and supposed to close the pores, which we see from what she says is wrong..! I had a greasy skin in those days tho and so it probably helped...I do have large pores around the base of my nose and I always will, best I can do is minimise them with foundation/concealer and this I do. I wash my face with ABC skinwash every morning, but I religiously cleanse, tone & moisturise every evening - all the stuff about oils, serums and whatever under your moisturiser is fairly new to me but I'm going with the flow and learning as I go..!

I want whatever Jacqueline Bisset uses.

She was on Saturday Kitchen this morning. She is 68, still beautiful and it doesn't look as though as she's had any work done IMO - or very little if that is the case.

Nor me - but one day I'll put his theory to the test and report back to you!

Very interesting info on toners - I always use the LE one after C&Ping.

I've mentioned it before elsewhere, but I had a fab toner in the 80's. It was made by Revlon's Moondrops range & was for dry skin. You had to shake the bottle to mix the oil with the watery part and then swipe over with cotton wool. It was so good that on lazy mornings I just used the toner to freshen up. It was a Christmas present that sat unopened for a long time because I would never have thought it suitable for my skin back then.

Wish I could find something like that (has to be skin friendly) now. Decleor have a cleansing water but the ingredients are not good for me.

I've never tried it but I've read the LE is much loved but it's quite thick. Do you find that Disenchanted?

ah, interesting reading Min! I always use a toner...in my youth it was "astringent" and supposed to close the pores, which we see from what she says is wrong..! I had a greasy skin in those days tho and so it probably helped...I do have large pores around the base of my nose and I always will, best I can do is minimise them with foundation/concealer and this I do. I wash my face with ABC skinwash every morning, but I religiously cleanse, tone & moisturise every evening - all the stuff about oils, serums and whatever under your moisturiser is fairly new to me but I'm going with the flow and learning as I go..!

I remember having a go at the astringent that used to sit on my mother's dressing table when I was about 13. Yikes! I thought I'd used acid.

As you know, I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil & bicarbonate of soda to cleanse. Love it. The only drawback is travelling with it. It was a real pain when we went to India. I decanted the oil into a travel bottle & the bicarb into a little pot but I was always afraid the oil would leak. It didn't fortunately.

I bought Clinique's 'Take Off The Day Cleansing Balm yesterday':
Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Polyethylene, Peg-5 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Water, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol

The only possible troublesome ingredient is the last one Phenoxyethanol, a preservative which can be a skin irritant.

I was going to buy the Botanics Cleansing Balm but they've changed it and the feedback is not good with the new one. Not surprised with the plant oils & fragrance in it.

I used to like the Botanics range but when they changed the packaging I think they changed the formulae...I used to like the eye make-up remover, but now, well, like you with the acid! It really stung my eyes.

On Thursday in Superdrug I picked up a bottle of their new cleansing water. Four goes and still make up coming off so I'll have to just use that as a toner I think..I thought it might be good (quick!) for the evenings I'm tired, in a rush, whatever, but I don't think so.

She can recommend any brand because of her independence whereas Miss Ali is confined to Q products and there's the weakness in Ali's advice.

Neither does a google search. "The Clinic is Closed" - that's all I get now.
Shame.

Minim, I didn't get on with it either, I got red patches & spots, my mum was the same, now I know why, thanks :nod:

Carol, now you're a Judith Williams user may I suggest her wrinkle relax serum. You can buy it direct from Curabeauty.com as Q have sold out for ages. It's got 12.5% plant collagen & more than that of the much raved apple stem cell stuff. I have slight open pores that were getting bigger on my cheeks. I switched from Decleor's facial oil to that, never looked back. My pores weren't bad, but I could deffo see them more open that I'd like. That's now gone & my friends think I've had botox. They're on the serum now too & love it as well as it's water based & unscented x.

(I do still use the Decleor one but only about about 2 evenings a week & always use JW's beforehand).

Neither does a google search. "The Clinic is Closed" - that's all I get now
Shame.
The link is still working you have to scroll down to the comments below

Latest posts

Back