At last, a response to my ASA complaint.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

radio_dayz

Registered Shopper
I complained to ASA well before christmas about the Christin Lars watch which I saw being sold by Adam Heppenstall. This presente, who must have known better, claimed that the stainless steel watch had a sterling silver bracelet. The on screen graphics also stated the same thing.

Here is the ASA's response in full.

Thank you for contacting the ASA.

We have assessed the ad and your complaint and we considered that you had made a valid point. We considered that the ad was likely to mislead because the watch’s bracelet was not made of sterling silver as claimed. As this appeared to be a relatively clear breach, instead of initiating a formal investigation and with a view to acting quickly, we informed the advertiser of the complaint and they have provided an assurance that the product will be described correctly in future. They have also agreed to ensure that similar issues do not arise in their future similar marketing communications. We have also received a written assurance from them to that effect.

We consider that the issue is now resolved and we will be closing our file. However, basic information including the advertisers’ name and where the ad appeared will be published on our website, www.asa.org.uk on Wednesday 13 February 2013.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention

Christin Lars Does Not Exist: ASA Complaint

Here is a letter I just got from the ASA. It seems then that the Christin Lars brand has no history and Mr Lars does not exist, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I actually feel quite an emptiness knowing Christin Lars does not exist, one of my life goals was to meet the great man:sad:

Thank you for contacting the ASA and for your patience while we considered your complaint.

We have assessed the ad and your complaint and we considered that you had made a valid point. We considered that the ad was likely to mislead because the advertiser could not substantiate the history claims made about the company Christin Lars. As this appeared to be a relatively clear breach, instead of initiating a formal investigation, we informed the advertiser of the complaint and they have provided an assurance that the product will be described correctly in future. They have also agreed to ensure that similar issues do not arise in their future similar marketing communications. We have also received a written assurance from them to that effect.

We consider that the issue is now resolved and we will be closing our file. However, basic information including the advertisers’ name and where the ad appeared will be published on our website, www.asa.org.uk on Wednesday 13 February 2013.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

Kind regards,

David Humber

David Humber

Complaints Executive

Direct line 020 7492 2248

Advertising Standards Authority

Mid City Place, 71 High Holborn

London WC1V 6QT

Telephone 020 7492 2222

www.asa.org.uk

Follow us on twitter: @ASA_UK

Legal, decent, honest and truthful

Last edited:
I complained to ASA well before christmas about the Christin Lars watch which I saw being sold by Adam Heppenstall. This presente, who must have known better, claimed that the stainless steel watch had a sterling silver bracelet. The on screen graphics also stated the same thing.

Here is the ASA's response in full.

Thank you for contacting the ASA.

We have assessed the ad and your complaint and we considered that you had made a valid point. We considered that the ad was likely to mislead because the watch’s bracelet was not made of sterling silver as claimed. As this appeared to be a relatively clear breach, instead of initiating a formal investigation and with a view to acting quickly, we informed the advertiser of the complaint and they have provided an assurance that the product will be described correctly in future. They have also agreed to ensure that similar issues do not arise in their future similar marketing communications. We have also received a written assurance from them to that effect.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention

Yes strange but I got exactly the same in a letter that was on my mat when I got home only mine was about them describing triplet, (very cheap), opals as triple protected opals, (implying solid stones). They made literally tens of thousands of pounds in about 10-15 mins selling the stones by lying! I'm utterly disgusted with the ASA, a lame prehistoric waste of space imo! Not even a formal upheld complaint! If my local jewellers had done that they'd be facing criminal charges for fraud! I think I deffo will write to my MP. The ASA are a joke imo.

Perhaps contact your local MP? I have sometime thought there should be a Code of Practice as regard to selling on TV shopping channels. I think there are far too many abuses and 'grey areas' as demonstrated by the Bid TV network in recent years.

I would like to suggest that perhaps Trading Standards should be involved where false descriptions of products are being repeatedly made.

Last edited:
They seem to like me, as last week I got a letter saying that "We intend to deal with your complain under the formal investigations procedure.....we will then draft a recommendation and refer to the ASA council for adjudication". Again last week I got a draft 'upheld' complaint for another complaint which will be verified by the ASA council; another yesterday saying that another complaint is to be on the ASA website in a couple of Wednesdays time, and another letter today which was similarly written to the first.

Here's to another 4 upheld complaints (hopefully!)

Just got an email: "thank you for contacting the ASA regarding a Bid TV presentation for a Canon Camera. Just to let you know that we're still assessing the issue you raised and will be in touch with you again shortly when there is further information. You should hear from myself or one of my colleagues shortly."

Like Greg said I intend to send/take my letter from the ASA & my pictoral evidence to my local MP. She's a new lady, very keen :rock: Trading standards are a great idea too!

Bid apparently get the Christin Lars watches from J&K Henderson Enterprises Ltd of Bolton who also supply them with other watches such as Slazenger,Gianni Ricci,Citron and Philip Mercier.All are cheap mass produced items
Here are a couple of links for you;
http://trademark.markify.com/trademarks/ctm/christin+lars/011243755
http://www.jkhenderson.co.uk/
The whole Christin Lars episode is a disgrace -'When Christian (sic) Lars was a young boy he dreamed of becoming a horologist...they are made not in a factory but in a workshop by horologists who are passionate about what they do' quote from James Russell.
These ASA adjucications are very useful-the crooked sales tactics employed by the Bid Presenters are being rooted out and eliminated.
Thanks to all those who have submitted complaints-keep 'em coming!

Mod edit: Fixed link for you. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They seem to like me, as last week I got a letter saying that "We intend to deal with your complain under the formal investigations procedure.....we will then draft a recommendation and refer to the ASA council for adjudication". Again last week I got a draft 'upheld' complaint for another complaint which will be verified by the ASA council; another yesterday saying that another complaint is to be on the ASA website in a couple of Wednesdays time, and another letter today which was similarly written to the first.

Here's to another 4 upheld complaints (hopefully!)

They can't just keep upholding all these complaints about one advertiser and let them carry on like nothing has happened - okay Sit-up have changed slightly... but they are still at it in some way or other!! Surely they must understand something is seriously wrong with the sales tactics of sit-up. They need to impose higher penalties - then maybe they'll change their ways for good!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the ASA can impose the sort of sanctions which OFCOM can. They've always been a symbolic regulator with next to no power.

Adam, thanks for your sticky thread. I think your idea of concerned people working together to submit complaints as a group is an excellent idea. People, please go and read it. The more people who complain the more likely the ASA, OFCOM, Trading Standards and media outlets will have to listen to us.

Adam, thanks for your sticky thread. I think your idea of concerned people working together to submit complaints as a group is an excellent idea. People, please go and read it. The more people who complain the more likely the ASA, OFCOM, Trading Standards and media outlets will have to listen to us.

Thanks Greg! We need to do all we can to stop bid's dirty tactics.. we're all aware of their deceit, but there are plenty of people who will take everything at face value, and they're usually the people who are most vulnerable in society.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the ASA can impose the sort of sanctions which OFCOM can. They've always been a symbolic regulator with next to no power.

I don't understand the ASA at all. I mean, if they are being so picky with Benny's complaints.... and there are so many of them (all valid/upheld etc)!! Then why don't they refer it to Ofcom if complaints go above a certain threshold (applies to any TV/Radio/advertiser etc)..... and let them deal with it? If Ofcom got involved I'm pretty certain Bid.tv would be broadcast recorded/edited LOL.

Latest posts

Back