ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Toril

Registered Shopper
Bearing in mind that I'm not the most technical of people, could someone please tell me how to upload an avatar? (I think that's what they're called :wink:)

:mysmilie_504:(in anticipation)

I think this is right Toril!!

If picture is stored on your computer:

Go to Settings where you login to forum, top right of screen next to My profile

On the left under My Settings select Edit Avatar

At Option2- upload from computer - select Choose File, find & select your picture and click on Open

Click on Save Changes button

If your picture is in Photobucket or similar, you need to Copy the link of the picture in Photobucket and Paste it into Option1, Save Changes.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Let's see if it worked. :wink:

EDIT It did !! Thanks so much, Frazzled. :sun:

You should be on commission, Frazzled. :wink: I've been a member of the forum for just over four years and, until you gave those clear instructions, I'd been clicking on goodness knows what, and getting nowhere.

I'm still getting over I helped people with a techy question!! (it's only because I've been helped by others in the past) - have had plenty of experience writing clear instructions though.

There you are one up on me Fraz, I know how how to upload the avatar (but not how to make it smaller when it's too big!) but I saw the question and went away and tried to work out how to explain it to someone who didn't know - and I couldn't!

I've got Mircrosoft Photo Editor on my laptop which isn't very good and I couldn't change anything either.

When Minim was helping us with the photo's, did you download IrfanView? It's completely free and I haven't experienced any problems with it. It's much easier to edit in this and I found using 400 as the width, as recommended by Minim, everything else adjusts automatically and is an ideal size for posting photo's. I can now work from 400 to make things larger/smaller. I've even figured out how to add text!! :rock:

I could do a guide for Irfan if you like?

Irfanview is so handy, free and easy to use, I have used it a lot over the years!

I've got Mircrosoft Photo Editor on my laptop which isn't very good and I couldn't change anything either.

When Minim was helping us with the photo's, did you download IrfanView? It's completely free and I haven't experienced any problems with it. It's much easier to edit in this and I found using 400 as the width, as recommended by Minim, everything else adjusts automatically and is an ideal size for posting photo's. I can now work from 400 to make things larger/smaller. I've even figured out how to add text!! :rock:

I could do a guide for Irfan if you like?

I did download it Fraz and it's brill for re-sizing for uploading ...never actually thought of that for avatar pics! What size do you use for that? I stick to 320 x 240 for thread pics. I've got Picasa on but I can't find a re-sizing option in there, but then again I'm not very good with that kind of thing, I'm sure you must be able to do it! I also got a new camera at Xmas so I've got that program on too now - but yes, a nicely written guide to Irfanview would be good when you get time. Ta muchly!

PS when you do your instructions Fraz can you tell me how to upload from Irfan to Photobucket cos at the mo I have to send it from Irfan to a folder on desktop, and I can then find it ok from Photobucket - honestly, it takes me ages!

My avatar is 92x100 - if I put either of those dimensions into Irfan the other adjusts to slightly diffferent numbers. I would thing anything around this will be OK.

I'm a bit confused about uploading from Irfan, it's just an editor. You need to be familiar with the location of the folder that stores the pictures from your camera in Explorer?.

My camera loads photos automatically into a folder called Pictures which is in my Explorer personal area.

Anything I download from the net goes automatically into a folder called Downloads (these two folders were not created by me).

I open Irfan and select from these folders to edit. After I have edited anything in Downloads, I move it to Pictures so everything is together for uploading to forum etc. I have created numerous folders within Pictures for different subjects.

From Photbucket (I will do a guide) I click on Upload, "Browse Files" and go to the desired folder on my laptop and select photo/picture to upload, it's done in a few seconds. Because I upload from the same folder all the time, it goes there automatically when I click on Browse Files.

I'll sort some guides in the next few days - don't forget they will only be as I personally understand things!!!

Thanks Fraz..speaking for myself, I'm ok with Photobucket now except for the actual uploading whereby I have to put my pics in the file on Desktop to find them...I can't find them in Picasa, nor in My Pictures - don't ask me how my computer is configured!! Thanks for your time, will look forward to other guides!!

Hopefully - if you right-click on the desktop folder icon, go to Properties and select Shortcut it will give you the folder path in Target: or Start In:?

I did check those last time..I tell you, this computer was made in Toytown I think! Not to worry, it does work ok the way I do it, I just thought there must be a quicker way if only I knew it!

Latest posts

Back