CT Scan dye

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Frazzled

Sense of humour intact
Has anyone ever had a reaction to the dye/whatever they inject for a CT scan?

I had a scan yesterday and last night I suddenly experienced insatiable itching and a rash around my throat. It's still bright red and hot today and there are two patches on my face just below the temple area. I can't think what else may have caused it, I've had a MRI scan before with no problem, just hope it's going to go away quickly.

Haven't had one myself Frazzled, but sounds like you might be allergic to something in it, would you not just ring your
doctors and ask them, to put your mind at rest. Hope it settles

I've never had a reaction. If i was you i would call the Dr or the hospital where you had it done,to see if its a normal reaction. It doesn't sound right to me.

Hope you feel. Better soon.

Yes I would call and ask someone too Fraz - no good worrying about it (says Miss Worryguts herself!) - the only scans I've had so far have been ultrasound so I can't help with practical advice.

I've just Goggled it and it seems the dye can cause itching, hives and swelling which is treated with antihistamines so yes it sounds as if you should speak to your doctor

Good advice as always, I never worry about these things, it'll be too late one day!!

I've just spoken to the hospital (not local) and it is definitely a reaction to the dye. As I feel OK and not having any breathing problems she said to go to the chemist and get some antihistamine tablets which will help calm it. If I do get any breathing problems to go straight to A&E.

She has made a note on their records and said I must tell any other hospital about the allergy as the reaction gets worse each time you have the dye!

Am off to local chemist now - thank you girls! :up:

BusyMum, those antihistimanes would also help your itching, i've bought them before, but they can make you
bit drowsy, so Frazzled beware of that, no truck driving lol

Sorry I'm late to this but definitely take antihistamines. I had one years ago and came over all itchy. I had to take antihistamines but it cleared quickly.

Hope you're feeling better. Do be careful though because antihistamines can make you feel sleepy. Wish you better.

You know me Barbs..stay away from medications if at all possible! The AB stuff I was on for my chest during my last cold gave me a tingly/sore tongue & lips, I seem to react to quite a few things tbh, I'm a sensitive soul..:sad::giggle:

Good advice from folks. I had a CT scan some years ago and the dye gave me a bad reaction too. I had to drink 2 pints of dye mixed with orange juice and then they injected me with more from a canula. I was very shaky for a few hours after and got a rash, which faded over two days. So long as there's no breathing issues and you otherwise feel well antihistamines should be fine. It's not the nicest of experiences, a CT. I hope all is well for you xx

Latest posts

Back