Reflexology - any experiences?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MIKE040249

Registered Shopper
Hello everyone!

Is anyone using - or has anyone used - a reflexologist?

The reason I ask is that my 25 year old son has an illness which, after more than five years, remains largely undiagnosed. Having done an evening class briefly in reflexology a long time ago, and having a friend who currently goes to one, I'm quite open-minded about it - unlike my son!! - and I'd be very interested in anyone's experiences - good or bad!

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I try and get one session in per month - she comes to me and brings a really comfy chair - bit like those zero gravity ones. I've always enjoyed having a foot massage and this is primarily why I went in for it, but one thing I will say, it was my reflexologist who advised me to visit my GP for a BP check, which I did, and was put straight onto medication, so I think there is something to be said for it - no guarantees that anyone would be able to find out what ails your son, but it's got to be worth a try I would say. I'm sorry to hear that he is ill, and hope that things will improve for him.

I've had reflexology several times, I love it. I was a little apprehensive the first time I had it done as I'm not keen on having my feet touched but it's so relaxing I really enjoy it.

I'm a qualified Reflexologist but I don't practice due to my own disability. I have hypermobility of the spine and Reflexology does not help me.

It is wonderful at clearing 'blockages' and I have had great success in helping people with blocked, painful Sinuses and constipation.

Some people enjoy it simply for the relaxation and the wonderful sense of wellbeing they experience.

I do hope it provides your Son with some relief x

Thanks a lot for the information, ladies. Very reassuring.

Now all we have to do is to get my (very!) sceptical son to get on board with it!

His problem is that he's 25 and has had a diagnosis, at least in part, for a thing called POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), but he also has symptoms which are not in the least consistent with POTS. This is the gap we're trying to fill in. The NHS haven't really got anywhere near to the bottom of it so we're considering going outside normal, conventional thinking and trying a bit of alternative.

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for the information, ladies. Very reassuring.

Now all we have to do is to get my (very!) sceptical son to get on board with it!

His problem is that he's 25 and has had a diagnosis, at least in part, for a thing called POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome), but he also has symptoms which are not in the least consistent with POTS. This is the gap we're trying to fill in. The NHS haven't really got anywhere near to the bottom of it so we're considering going outside normal, conventional thinking and trying a bit of alternative.

Thanks again.

I hope you manage to convince him to have a go Mike, and that if he does, he finds it as beneficial as I do!

My Son is 24 , he went for reflexology and found it very beneficial . At the time he had been off work with depression , he had also started to self harm. The NHS was of no help at all so out of desperation he tried reflexology, it was expensive but worth every penny. He had a good few sessions though. I am going to book him in for some more as I think he is now in need of a top up. It may not work for everyone but it is definitely worth a try.

How did you find your practitioner Wrongsideof40..? Just that I googled for local ones and my lovely lady comes to me and it's only £20 a session (an hour) - I know "only" is a comparative term but I thought very reasonable. She's properly qualified and everything I hasten to add!

BM that's an amazing price. my friend used to do mine when she was gaining her qualifications but sadly doesn't do it any more the one's I've looked at locally are much more than that

We won a £50 voucher in a Christmas draw. (A few years ago)It was for a local shop that does various treatments. The lady that does it used to be a nurse. I was going to use it for an Indian Head massage but OH had done his back in, so I gave up my Indian Head massage so he could have a massage. When he went she recommended craniosacral instead of massage. He went for between 6-8 sessions. It did absolutely nothing for his back but worked an absolute miracle on his mental health. (At the time he had severe stress and depression, he was so bad his doctor thought he had a brain tumour.)
So when my Son was ill I thought the craniosacral was worth a try as it had done his Dad so much good. That treatment didn't work for him but the reflexology did. He pays about £30 for the reflexology.
I never did get my Indian Head massage.
I have also been to these healing fayres that do tasters if you want to try different therapies. (Sorry for the long winded explanation.)

She first came to me the week before my 60th, so five years now and its been £20 all that time...we've become friendly but I'm sure she'd have told me if she'd put up her prices?!

I've just Googled Reflexologists in my area, there are several but all of them are either £35 or £40 per session so don't tell yours or she'll be putting her rates up !

We won a £50 voucher in a Christmas draw. (A few years ago)It was for a local shop that does various treatments. The lady that does it used to be a nurse. I was going to use it for an Indian Head massage but OH had done his back in, so I gave up my Indian Head massage so he could have a massage. When he went she recommended craniosacral instead of massage. He went for between 6-8 sessions. It did absolutely nothing for his back but worked an absolute miracle on his mental health. (At the time he had severe stress and depression, he was so bad his doctor thought he had a brain tumour.)
So when my Son was ill I thought the craniosacral was worth a try as it had done his Dad so much good. That treatment didn't work for him but the reflexology did. He pays about £30 for the reflexology.
I never did get my Indian Head massage.
I have also been to these healing fayres that do tasters if you want to try different therapies. (Sorry for the long winded explanation.)

I was sorry to read about your husband WSO40, that amount of stress & depression, that must have been terrible, but so pleased to hear that the craniosacral worked so well - indeed a miracle! And good news too that the reflexology works for your son - I know these things don't work for everyone, but for those of us who benefit, it's a Godsend. Sorry you never did get your Indian Head Massage! I always wanted to try one too!

I've just Googled Reflexologists in my area, there are several but all of them are either £35 or £40 per session so don't tell yours or she'll be putting her rates up !

Dearie me DD, yes mine's dirt cheap then compared to what you've found - no, I shall definitely not tell her!!

I am so glad to hear you have all had such positive results with reflexology - makes my heart sing!

I am a qualified reflexologist and have been practising for 18 years. I am a member of the Association of Reflexologists. If you go on to the AOR website http://www.aor.org.uk/ and click on Find A Reflexologist it will tell you of all those therapists near you and you can be reassured that they are properly qualified to a standard.

FYI, up until about 3 years ago I charged £20 but now I charge £25 for a single treatment or £130 for a course of 6. I am passionate about it and have always wanted to make it as affordable as I can so as not to deter people, but at the same time, not be too cheap so as to make people think I am not good.

Hope this helps!

I trained as a reflexologist 10 years ago and LOVE it unfortunately my own health has taken a down turn and I am no longer able to either practice or receive treatment.
I always say that you have nothing to lose and EVERY thing to gain by giving it a go.
A good reflexologist should always take a full medical history from you and discus your life style with you this will help you both to work out what you as the client want to achieve from the treatment.
Never be afraid of asking to see their certificate of insurance and also their professional qualifications as unfortunately any one can set them selves up as a complementary - holistic therapist and there are always going to be those who aren't what they seem.
Good luck and I do hope your son finds the answers he is looking for regarding his health .
Karen

Thanks for the advice reflexgirl and madmax. My son went today to start another course of reflexology. Fingers crossed it works as well as it did last time.

Latest posts

Back