How much longer can they last?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hillary

Registered Shopper
This isn't intended as a snide or snitty question. I genuinely wonder how long they can go on in this financial climate. We are all feeling the pinch. I don't know about you, but every time I go grocery shopping something else has gone up and not by just a few pence.Everyone is finding ways to economize and for many, I am sure, foregoing the exorbitant phone and delivery charges will be their first choice. Murano glass bracelets are selling for £4.99 where I live and some of those solar lights they were selling last summer were on sale here for £2.99. I appreciate that for many, particularly the housebound, these channels are a godsend but they aren't in the majority and even if they were, they will probably be having to cut their coat according to their cloth.

It would be a shame to see the situps disappear but many old and faithful household name shops are closing, so it is a possibility. Do you think they might consolidate the three channels into one and slim down the sales people? I've never seen the point of assistants to be honest. Also, the jewellery, watches and perfume 'experts' wouldn't really be missed by most of us. They don't tell us anything we couldn't find out on google. And of course, cutting the p&p and phone charges would be a start.

Interesting!....But unless we can see their facts and figures, then we don't really know. Sometimes in a recession, you hear that it's the little luxuries that people hang on to. So it could be that the company's doing well despite of it all. Another thing with these channels, and catalogues too, you have your "addicts", like we've mentioned before, those who can least afford to spend money on tat they don't really need (or indeed want, in some instances). Something must be keeping them afloat, and I think the exhorbitant postal charges contribute to that quite a lot, and whilst people are prepared to pay it, they'll be able to carry on!

This isn't intended as a snide or snitty question. I genuinely wonder how long they can go on in this financial climate. We are all feeling the pinch. I don't know about you, but every time I go grocery shopping something else has gone up and not by just a few pence.Everyone is finding ways to economize and for many, I am sure, foregoing the exorbitant phone and delivery charges will be their first choice. Murano glass bracelets are selling for £4.99 where I live and some of those solar lights they were selling last summer were on sale here for £2.99. I appreciate that for many, particularly the housebound, these channels are a godsend but they aren't in the majority and even if they were, they will probably be having to cut their coat according to their cloth.

It would be a shame to see the situps disappear but many old and faithful household name shops are closing, so it is a possibility. Do you think they might consolidate the three channels into one and slim down the sales people? I've never seen the point of assistants to be honest. Also, the jewellery, watches and perfume 'experts' wouldn't really be missed by most of us. They don't tell us anything we couldn't find out on google. And of course, cutting the p&p and phone charges would be a start.

Well they are owned by Aurelius AG who are one of those 'buy out' companies who invest with a view to make a packet then divest. I believe these companies also get rid when they know it's a dead duck (which i'm not saying Sit Up is).

How long they can continue is anyone's guess but I did read on here that Sit Up is not nearly as profitable as it once was although I have no idea if that is fact or not. Putting aside the many horrendous presenters and their grotesque techniques I just find the merchandise so cheap (in the quality sense, not price) repetitive and utterly boring. In fairness the same can be said of Ideal World too (in the repetitive sense).

It's often little more than Poundland TV but with hugely inflated 'all in' prices (and i'm not slagging off Poundland, they offer great value. Sit Up often don't).

Last edited:
See for yourself here;

http://www.companycheck.co.uk/company/03877786/SIT-UP-LIMITED#accounts-tab

Since 2008 there has been a huge drop.

I've always said give it another couple of years.... internet shopping will probably wipe them out soon enough....

All double dutch, gobbledeegook to me. But what is clear to me is they often appear to sell a load of overpriced, old tatt.

And keep this to yourself but I strongly suspect they tell some terrible tales too :wink:

All double dutch, gobbledeegook to me. But what is clear to me is they often appear to sell a load of overpriced, old tatt.

And keep this to yourself but I strongly suspect they tell some terrible tales too :wink:

*gasp* oh no Wirral, surely not, terrible tales??!! I don't believe it, it can't be true *sobs with disappointment*

Latest posts

Back