Mike and his dongle

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mommabear

Registered Shopper
It's supposedly new and improved and yet last month he still paid £83 for his Sky package

Maybe he's tied into this package but he never says that.

If he said he'd cancelled Sky and uses his dongle instead, then I would be impressed.........for a second......but then I wouldn't believe him :giggle:

Sometimes I think they simply either don't think through what they're saying or they think we're stupid. Or more likely, both.

It's a bit like someone who said she bought her BF's Mum a Skagen watch for Xmas when she was selling a Cheatin Liars, which was supposedly as good and much cheaper.

Last edited:
It's somewhat disingenuous of Mike saying he has a high tier of Sky including Movies with, let's say 500 channels for £XX a month, and then saying but how would you like 5000+ channels, subscription free?

What 5000 channels do you get? All I ever see on the Laptop screen is BBC One etc, and of course Bid. But the lowest tactic that they have used (especially James Russell) is that he 'warns' you that you may get access to some let's say racy channels.

Common sense has to play a part here of course but it's rather pointless comparing A with B when they are completely and utterly different products. But Mike obviously knows this as he still clearly has..... Sky!

Last edited:
What 5000 channels do you get? All I ever see on the Laptop screen is BBC One etc, and of course Bid. But the lowest tactic that they have used (especially James Russell) is that he 'warns' you that you may get access to some let's say racy channels.
To be fair, they may have to specifically mention the 'racy' channels in order to warn parents that may be thinking of buying one for their children, though there probably should/ought to be a parental lock control for adult channels provided as part of this software.

As for the channel choice, it has been suggested that the majority of available channels are Chinese ones - which may actually be a good thing for some people - and the choice is essentially restricted to those channels that have free streams available, plus channel choice can vary over time especially if certain video streams of dubious legality are being used. Expecting to be able to watch all the sport and movies you can get on an expensive Sky subscription would be a huge mistake (and something for the ASA/Trading Standards to consider), though it is true that certain European channels available to watch online may be showing sport free of charge that's only available on a pay-TV channel in the UK (eg. football matches and Formula 1) and it's not illegal to watch them in the UK for private use, but that state of affairs may not continue forever.

To be fair, they may have to specifically mention the 'racy' channels in order to warn parents that may be thinking of buying one for their children, though there probably should/ought to be a parental lock control for adult channels provided as part of this software.

As for the channel choice, it has been suggested that the majority of available channels are Chinese ones - which may actually be a good thing for some people - and the choice is essentially restricted to those channels that have free streams available, plus channel choice can vary over time especially if certain video streams of dubious legality are being used. Expecting to be able to watch all the sport and movies you can get on an expensive Sky subscription would be a huge mistake (and something for the ASA/Trading Standards to consider), though it is true that certain European channels available to watch online may be showing sport free of charge that's only available on a pay-TV channel in the UK (eg. football matches and Formula 1) and it's not illegal to watch them in the UK for private use, but that state of affairs may not continue forever.

James spent a lot of time mentioning the racy channels, even down to what country they are from (Germany and Holland), all nod nod, wink wink. I suspect he knew exactly what he was saying.

Of course the buyer has some responsibility to do some research (and hopefully have some common sense too) but it's a very tenuous link that Mike makes in his pitch. Even mentioning a premium Sky subscription is ludicrous.

Last edited:
What annoys me about this presentation, is the way they make out you can be watching proper up to date movies, as you would if you subscribe to the movie channel, love film or whatever, when in reality you'd probably be hard pushed to even find a film that's in colour, isn't broken up by zillions of adverts that you can't surpass, or a title you've actually heard of. Don't you just love the way they come out with such Bullsh*t as "I discovered the whole series of....insert name of unheard of t.v series......and I can't get enough of it", sure you can't , you'd have bought the box set otherwise. No, hang on there isn't a boxset, cause there's no demand for one, 'cause nobody's ever heard of it!

Dongle got one from another shop, you need subscriptions to certain channels.It will probably cost £30 a month by the time you subscribe to espn, Eurosport , and other sports channels and movie channels, you also need subscription for these channels also most tv channels are not for uk viewing.Really mike mason and others are taking BS.

Maybe he's upped his package, so to speak :wave:

I get why he says it in one respect as it makes the viewers think they're saving a fortune by having the dongle BUT if it was that good, why hasn't he got one and save himself some cash?

Where's my eye bleach, that is one nasty mental image :giggle:

PJ

Dongle got one from another shop, you need subscriptions to certain channels.It will probably cost £30 a month by the time you subscribe to espn, Eurosport , and other sports channels and movie channels, you also need subscription for these channels also most tv channels are not for uk viewing.Really mike mason and others are taking BS.

Indeed Adam, geographic restrictions will apply and block access.

As i'm sure you know the Dongle is basically a USB Storage Stick that is loaded with website addresses, that's it. Obviously Ocean have a portal and it updates the stick but it can direct you to the likes of NBC, ABC and FOX in the US all it likes, without using some sort of what's known as a VPN that 'disguises' your IP address and fools the sites into thinking you are in that country you simply won't get access. End of.

It might be good for some people and very good for Radio but there are many, many websites like Readon Player that do exactly the same thing, for free.

But in no way is it a substitute for Sky or Virgin, particularly if you are a premium subscriber. I'm sure Mikey agrees, hence why he continues to pay Sky nearly a grand a year.

Last edited:
Maybe he's upped his package, so to speak :wave:

I get why he says it in one respect as it makes the viewers think they're saving a fortune by having the dongle BUT if it was that good, why hasn't he got one and save himself some cash?

Being a Sky subscriber, I know for a fact that Sky have had no price increases in the last 3 months, I remember Mikey saying he paid £75 a couple of months back and now he's paying £83. He has indeed either upped his package or he is a lying tw*t. :thinking:

Being a Sky subscriber, I know for a fact that Sky have had no price increases in the last 3 months, I remember Mikey saying he paid £75 a couple of months back and now he's paying £83. He has indeed either upped his package or he is a lying tw*t. :thinking:

Our Sky phone line rental went up in December by £2.25 per month but the TV and Broadband didn't.

Maybe Mikey has a special package for 'celebrities'.

Indeed Adam, geographic restrictions will apply and block access.
There are ways round the restrictions, but if you're intelligent enough to know about such things you're also intelligent enough to avoid buying something like this from a shopping channel :wink:

Hi, my mother purchased one of these dongles and I had a look at when I went round at Christmas. Its ok for people that have no or very very little knowledge of the internet in general but if you wanted most of the 5000 channels that's on the dongle you could just go to one of the hundreds of free websites that list them all and just click on the link & watch them for free... without any dongle/software. The actual dongle is more of a selling gimmick as they may as well just send you a dvd/cd with the software on as its just the same (install software.. go to website.. click on channel you want to watch).

The decent channels are very limited, as already said many require subscription and some block content as your not allowed to watch them from here... so you have to use a proxy or similar software which often makes streaming live channels really hard.

I hate the way that Mike pretends this product is equal to or even better then a full Sky or Virgin subscription. He usually claims to be into technology etc so he surely must KNOW that he's selling a bit of tat and his comparison is inaccurate. His whole 'I pay XX for Sky" is just his horrible ploy to fool and rip off people at home.

Justin (a.k.a. Bod) was selling exactly the same product on Price Drop last night, none of the sheer nonsense the appalling Mike Mason comes out with.

Of course he was vague as hell as to what you can actually watch but he didn't make out it's anything like having a Pay Television subscription.

Latest posts

Back