Electric Potato Peeler - Does it work?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wirral70

Registered Shopper
The charming James Russell was flogging a 'Your Kitchen' electric potato peeler. He had a huge plate of unpeeled spuds which would certainly have taken a long time to peel, who wants to do that? He demonstrated how boring it is to use a peeler by doing one or two potatoes.

He then loaded the peeling machine and assured us 'it's amazing'. The trouble was he didn't actually show it working, at all. I accept it's probably noisy but he didn't even have any it had done earlier. There was a very brief video, it didn't really show much though.

So I suppose it might work?

Last edited:
Well he said during a sale of 9ct gold today...."you know me, l tell it as it is" :thinking:

To say l nearly fell off the sofa laughing is an understatement!!!!!

Well he said during a sale of 9ct gold today...."you know me, l tell it as it is" :thinking:

To say l nearly fell off the sofa laughing is an understatement!!!!!

He's having another bad day. He couldn't even shift all his solid 9ct gold pendants, 59 left out of 100.

Tut Tut, if I was his boss i'd demand he improves. After all, he declared he is 'an expert in influence and persuasion' :giggle:

The charming James Russell was flogging a 'Your Kitchen' electric potato peeler. He had a huge plate of unpeeled spuds which would certainly have taken a long time to peel, who wants to do that? He demonstrated how boring it is to use a peeler by doing one or two potatoes.

He then loaded the peeling machine and assured us 'it's amazing'. The trouble was he didn't actually show it working, at all. I accept it's probably noisy but he didn't even have any it had done earlier. There was a very brief video, it didn't really show much though.

Does it work? probably not, if it's a Your Kitchen one :wink:

The ones I've seen in the past, eg Tefal, are ok if they have a light skin on, like a new potato, but how it peels old ones with a thick skin, I doubt it's a very good job. It would be quicker and a better job to peel them by hand I would think.

Where's Wayne when you need him ?

electric peeler.... wot a joke, they've had em on before, a stupid idea i reakon, you still have to
go through the motions of peeling dont you? so you might as well just use a normal peeler surely...

I now know the answer to my original question, it appears it dosen't work very well at all.

Wayne demonstrates it on a Bid Plus infomercial with Mark Stewart. He placed 4 admittedly large but not seemingly heavy skinned spuds in the machine and the results were extremely underwhelming. Wayne said you should use it for longer than he did but the results to that point were very, very poor indeed. The time it took just to scrape a bit of the skin off seemed to defeat the object.

So it's still the hand peeler for me.

I now know the answer to my original question, it appears it dosen't work very well at all.

Wayne demonstrates it on a Bid Plus infomercial with Mark Stewart. He placed 4 admittedly large but not seemingly heavy skinned spuds in the machine and the results were extremely underwhelming. Wayne said you should use it for longer than he did but the results to that point were very, very poor indeed. The time it took just to scrape a bit of the skin off seemed to defeat the object.

So it's still the hand peeler for me.

Thanks Wirral

Not at all surprised. Did he have to hold it down in case it bounced off the counter?

I can't see how a few potatoes banging about in a bowl of water can adequately peel themselves

Thanks Wirral

Not at all surprised. Did he have to hold it down in case it bounced off the counter?

I can't see how a few potatoes banging about in a bowl of water can adequately peel themselves

Unsurprisingly Momma it makes some racket but it seemed to stay still in operation.

But it just didn't peel the big spuds, simple as that really. In the video they show on a 'live' sale it shows some very small, completely perfectly peeled potatoes but to be quite frank it looks like they emptied a tin of those awful spuds in brine in it.

Not a convincing demonstration i'm afraid, not for me anyway.

Unsurprisingly Momma it makes some racket but it seemed to stay still in operation.

But it just didn't peel the big spuds, simple as that really. In the video they show on a 'live' sale it shows some very small, completely perfectly peeled potatoes but to be quite frank it looks like they emptied a tin of those awful spuds in brine in it.

Not a convincing demonstration i'm afraid, not for me anyway.

Maybe he put a small brick in the bottom :giggle:

Ah well, I hate the job but it takes no time really with a peeler

Now for the mixer, maybe one of us will spot that being given a complete workout one day :wave:

Maybe he put a small brick in the bottom :giggle:

Ah well, I hate the job but it takes no time really with a peeler

Now for the mixer, maybe one of us will spot that being given a complete workout one day :wave:

Funny you should say that Momma but there's a similar infomercial with Elisa (I also watched it live) and she does give it a reasonable testing. She made cookies and a syrup sponge, using the beating attachment in the metal bowl. Obviously not that testing I guess but makes a change from Wayne's smoothies.

I also watched Chris Birkett use the grinder attachment to make some burgers on Sunday too (he was of course on the horsemeat bandwagon 'make them for your kids yourself so you know whats in them', it seemed to do the job OK. I'm just not convinced it would stand the test of time if used regularly, it is incredibly cheap for what you get. Maybe i'm wrong.

(by the way i'm not being rude not thanking/liking posts, for some reason I seem to have lost the option!).

Last edited:
Funny you should say that Momma but there's a similar infomercial with Elisa (I also watched it live) and she does give it a reasonable testing. She made cookies and a syrup sponge, using the beating attachment in the metal bowl. Obviously not that testing I guess but makes a change from Wayne's smoothies.

I also watched Chris Birkett use the grinder attachment to make some burgers on Sunday too (he was of course on the horsemeat bandwagon 'make them for your kids yourself so you know whats in them', it seemed to do the job OK. I'm just not convinced it would stand the test of time if used regularly, it is incredibly cheap for what you get. Maybe i'm wrong.

(by the way i'm not being rude not thanking/liking posts, for some reason I seem to have lost the option!).

I will have to look out for it

Graham has disabled them

I will have to look out for it

Graham has disabled them

Elisa is doing her cooking show live on Bid Plus now. She has the Potato Peeler on the worktop so I guess she will do a demo soon.

Cannot see the mixer this time though.

Thanks for the heads up about thanks/likes.

Last edited:
Elisa demonstrated it with 7, much smaller spuds than Wayne used.

It actually didn't seem to do too bad a job (unlike Wayne she had the brains to rinse them).

She then chipped them but the problem with that is they were not really big chipping size spuds, not bad though.

Latest posts

Back