Uninstalling Yontoo

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Calvin

Registered Shopper
My PC has been invaded by Yontoo, an 'adware that installs a web browser extension to display advertisements and special offers while surfing the Web'. It's seriosly getting up my nose and I have tried the usual Control Panel route for uninstalling programmes, but no joy there. I have a Windows 7 laptop and use IE, presumably the latest verson. I hope someone techie can help...a d please can the instructions be in basic English? MTIA
Sharon x

I have Norton on my pc and today I've used Hijackthis, AVG and Spyhunter. They have all highlighted threats to my pc, but haven't told me how to uninstall them. I am useless with all this sort of stuff but hope my son (over from Glasgow at present) will help, but he gets exasperated with my lack of knowledge and I'd love to solve the problem without his help!

A good addition to any anti virus is Malwarebytes. Ignore the free trial for the pro version and as long as you set up so it isn't on all the time it can run with your current AV. If you boot up in safe mode and run it it should solve it.

PJ

If I need a quick fix I do a System Restore first of all, to take my pc back to a date before it was attacked.
If you click on the windows icon, choose the normal 'help and support' section of your machine, and then just follow the menu links from there.

System Restore has got me out of trouble countless times, and it's always worth a go before downloading and trying anything new.

Certainly give it a try before paying for any programs that promise to 'disinfect your machine'. I imagine them popping round with their Marigolds, Brillo pads and a bottle of Domestos ... :smirk:

Last edited:
malwarebytes has another vote here, and from a tech guy in one of the places I work. No need for any complexities, it just does what it does without a fuss, brilliant!

Thank you for your suggestions folks. I did what I usually do in times of computer crisis...I asked my son to help me! He installed Spyhunter, which successfully uninstalled Yontoo and recommended a defrag that took 26 hours! I had to put up with the mandatory lecture on how atrocious my pc 'housekeeping' is, but what the heck, my PC is in tip-top form now!

Last edited:
I wish I put as much effort into housework as I do into keeping my puter clean!!!!! Glad you're sorted now tho..

soooooooooo pleased it's not just me ms!!! Puter gets lots of TLC in this house - plus I have to do DDs too...I don't know much but apparently I know more than her!!

Aw that's lovely, my mum's favourite gadget was a bread maker, a computer would have given her a flat panic!

Aw that's lovely, my mum's favourite gadget was a bread maker, a computer would have given her a flat panic!

I left work ten years ago, and I'd just about learnt how to send an email then! However, DD got a puter and my nephew was a great help in getting us set up and under way, well being at home all day I had lots of time to play about, and a great penpal who was quite savvy, so I learnt quite a lot along the way, and I'd be poking about in files looking what was what, and got myself in a mess a time or two as well! But it's amazing what you pick up so I'm certainly more computer literate than I was! And my Dad's got a laptop, too..he's 88! He knows enough to get on Amazon and buy stuff, and we get an occasional email, obviously he's not very fast at typing! Hmm.. a breadmaker.. now that would fox me I think!!

Latest posts

Back