What book are you reading?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Calvin

Registered Shopper
I always loved this part of st.com as I am an inveterate nosy parker and love to know what everyone else is enjoying. I'm always on the look out for good reads too! I thought it was about time these needs were met and have resurrected this spot.Please join in!

I'm reading two books at present. I'm reading 'Pride and Prejudice' on my Kindle,which is available as a free download from Amazon. I first read this in the mid 1970s for 'O' Level English and have loved it sice then. (Colin Firth in dripping wet breeches has nothing to do with my passion for this novel!!)

My 'real' book is the very funny and motivating 'Run, Fat Bitch, Run' by Ruth Field. It is the antithesis of all those self help books that tell us how fabulous/beautiful/talented we are and urges us to get up off our fat arses and do something to improve our health and fitness. I am thoroughly enjoying it and, wait for it, I went for a run last night! http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/184744542X/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

What are you currently reading?

i have just finished 'you can't read this book' by Nick Cohen
and half way through 'diaries of the fleet street fox' by Fleet Street Fox
and started 'nomad' by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Have just finished The Long Weekend by Veronica Henry and am back on my crime books with Good Bait by John Harvey.

Note ; first read Pride & Prejudice at age 11 when given it by my grandmother - have loved it & Jane Austen ever since!

I am reading the latest in the Parish and Richards series this one is no7 I've read all of them its a detective series by Tim Ellis and when I've finished this one I have Peter May's the Lewis Trilogy waiting on my kindle.

West with the night by Beryl Markham. Given to me by OH's step mother. Various cook books. 'The Fast Diet' that 5:2 days low calorie diet. The Hundred Year Man who jumped out of the window'.

Thanks Calvin my hubby has read the Lewis trilogy on his kindle so I tranfered them onto mine because he said I would enjoy them we often swop books as we tend to read quite a lot of the same things .

I've just bought 'The Hundred Year Old Man ... etc etc' to read on holiday in a couple of weeks.

If anyone's after a really light, easy going read, you might like 'Monday to Friday Man' by Alice Peterson. It's on special offer on Amazon at the moment if you have a Kindle. I've only just started it, but it seems warm and gentle and you do actually care about the characters.

I have an awful habit of hitting 'Buy now with 1-Click' on Amazon. Please someone, tell me I'm not alone - I have more books than you can read in a lifetime stacked up!

I am reading 2 at the moment, John Major's book "My Old Man" which is a history of the music hall, absolutely wonderful. I am also re-reading David Baldwin's biography of Richard III, becuase my interest got reignited with all the finding his body shenanagins. A very enjoyable read.

I've just finished "The Hundred Year Old Man . . . " - I enjoyed it. Reading "To the Grave" at the moment. I have been reading a lot lately but damned if I can remember what! Just treated myself to "The Lifeboat". Also recently read "So much for that" by Lionel Shriver which made me think. I wish I kept a diary of all the books I have read because I can never remember them when people ask.

I've just finished 'The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory, I enjoyed this and the film too. I am waiting for the new 'In Death' book in the series by J.D. Robb.

As soon as the postman brings it I will be reading '100 lengths of the pool' by someone called Julia Roberts. I used to read murder mysteries and would devour 5 books during a 1 week holiday.Now I am ususlly too tired to read. My mum embarassingly leant me 50 shades of Grey. I only got 2 chapters in before getting bored. The last book I read was The Daughter of Time by Josrphine Tey. Brilliant. Before that everything by Dan Brown. I need inspiration. Nothing that will make me cry though. I hate crying.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I've just finished "Year of Wonders" by Geraldine Brookes. It's about a village struck by the plague in 1666. It's slow paced and based loosely on fact.

I am now reading "The Ginger Tree" by Oswald Wynd. I've read this before but not for years. It's about a Scottish woman who sailed to China to marry her Army officer beau. It gives a very real account of life in the Far East for a European woman in the early 20th Century. I first heard it as a radio play and was surprised to learn it was written by a man! I would be surprised if it was available on the kindle. It certainly wasn't the last time I checked.

Next on my list is We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (spelling) ... because I've never read it. Well not properly anyway.

None of them are my usual choice in fiction but you have to try something different once in a while.

I am reading the latest in the Parish and Richards series this one is no7 I've read all of them its a detective series by Tim Ellis and when I've finished this one I have Peter May's the Lewis Trilogy waiting on my kindle.

I'd never read or heard of Tim Ellis till i read your post! Am now on No 6 in series - have enjoyed them as they were quite light reading and well written. Some of the content was a bit questionable though - if the police force is really run like that, heaven help us! By book 5, i wanted to shout at them that it would be underground, all their other murderers were underground, Richards always ends up naked and tied up, the cavalry arrives out of nowhere at the last minute..... And I still liked it! Thank you for pointing me in the direction of this author :clapping:

Have already read the Lewis Trilogy, and liked them too.

I'm not reading in now but one of my favourite books in the past few years has been Harlen Coben's "Tell No One". You've probably all read it but just in case you haven't its really worth a read. Thriller/Mystery.

When I was on holiday recently I read Stephen King's 22/11/63 (recommended by one of my work colleagues) I could not put it down and read it within 3 days. It was a gread book (well I enjoyed it).

I also read Shania Twain's biography called from this moment on, it was interesting to read how she started off and she goes into detail about her husband's affair.

I have just read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry a nice light read and I enjoyed it. I have got The 100 year old Man on my kindle but can't get on with it at all. I recently read a book called Changing Gear by Eileen Sutherland and found it an enjoyable and moving story. I also read a book called Wild by Cheryl Strayed another factual book about a young American women who walked a trail in the US to help her cope with personal problems. I love factual books but I also read lots of fiction and especially like Joanne Harris, Marian Keyes and Celia Ahern. I don't like thriller/ detective stories they put my blood pressure up LOL..

I tend to favour crime novels which sometimes border on the gruesome.

In my pre-Kindle days I used to keep two books on my bedside table, a murderously creepy book & something a bit lighter to read if the first one got a bit too intense before I switched off the light. I don't sleep well at the best of times.
Since I've had a Kindle I've spread my wings a bit.
I began by revisiting some of books that I'd read in my teens, books I had enjoyed but would not buy again or cart home from the library. Interesting how memory and a few decades makes you ponder a book's appeal the first time around.

I'm afraid to say I seem to have fallen into the trap of buying into a series. Reminds me of my 'Famous Five' days lol. Lately I favour the Matthew Bartholomew Chronicles by Susanna Gregory and I can't really fathom why. They remind me of Ellis Peters' (Edith Pargeter) novels

Latest posts

Back