An all time low - does anyone agree?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
As you know I do buy a lot more than I should from these channels despite my being very aware and critical of their shortcomings. However, if the standard and choice of products doesn't pick up very soon I shall be buying less and less. Credit were credit is due, I've had some nice fragrances and toiletries from them Liz Taylor, possibility and most recently ...Laurelle..ahem! Coleurs set...the ones that smell like chocolate etc ~ They're suprisingly nice, the bottles are a good size, look really nice on the dressing table, and they last a good few hours on the skin. You have to try these things - The mint one is rank though!

Around xmas time I bought quite a lot of stuff, some disappointing, but mostly good..but watching and looking on line over the past couple of months pretty much ALL of the stuff they're selling is complete tat. Electrical stuff is either by Vivitar, or Ocean neither of which I would touch with a bargepole. The rest of the stuff is all own brand, and as Wirral pointed out a Generic load of crap that is sold under various different labels. In the past I've bought Abercrombie and Fitch clothing, a proper memory foam mattress, A couple of feather and down duvets, a bike and at really good prices. Now the website is full of crap like plastic egg boilers, gardening bits, crafting bits, battery operated feather dusters ....like I said comeplete and utter tat....and so totally not worth adding £7.99 to!

If they carry on like this much longer, I'm going to save myself one hell of a lot of money.

I think the vast majority of products on Sit Up fall into just a few categories.

1. Sub £10 items of dubious quality which Sit Up probably think people wouldn't bother returning as they would get less back than the postage costs.

2. Items costing £10-£30 that most people wouldn't bother returning but if they do they have made money on the ripoff P+P and call charges anyway.

3. Most items over £30 are probably overpriced.

I honestly believe they make more money from calls and P+P on most of their products (except for the poor folks who spend hundreds on gold plated jewellery on the back of spurious claims about tanzanite and shitlet triplets).

Last edited:
I made the mistake of getting one of their Vivitar video cameras from their eBay - you know, the ones which are supposedly HD? Well, they're not HD, they just stretch the recording to HD resolution.

I got it as a cheap (£25) camcorder to take away on holiday (didn't want to risk damaging my proper one), and most of the footage that I recorded is unwatchable.. crappy frame-rate, blurry image, horrible sound detection.

My other half got a virtually identical unbranded camcorder a couple of years ago in Maplin for £15, the only difference being that the Maplin camcorder didn't stretch the picture to HD resolution - I'm sure there was a time where Vivitar wasn't rebranded crap, but that's certainly what they are now.

I think the vast majority of products on Sit Up fall into just a few categories.

1. Sub £10 items of dubious quality which Sit Up probably think people wouldn't bother returning as they would get less back than the postage costs.

2. Items costing £10-£30 that most people wouldn't bother returning but if they do they have made money on the ripoff P+P and call charges anyway.

3. Most items over £30 are probably overpriced.

I honestly believe they make more money from calls and P+P on most of their products (except for the poor folks who spend hundreds on gold plated jewellery on the back of spurious claims about tanzanite and shitlet triplets).

Quite, and that's why I had to tell lies in order not to be out of pocket over my latest "little mistake". You're right, 'cause although the product cost £20, the p&p made it £27.99, had I returned it under "changed mind" I would have been given £20 back, take away the £12 it would have cost me to return it. I would have to seriously consider whether my repackaging the product, queuing up in the post office is really worth it for the sake of £8 - The answer would probably be no!

You're probably right on point 3 as well, but my biggest problem with them right now is what you've mentioned in point 1. The channels are literally overrun with tat that you could easily buy in Poundstretcher, and in some cases Poundland. I would like to be able to buy decent quality stuff at competitive prices. I don't tune into a shopping channel to be sold a packet of dusters or a set of battery operated light bulbs. Like I say, I really think these channels are struggling for stock, especially with the amount of gardening stuff they're doing right now Ad Nauseam. It'll be little bitty crafting items next.

Come on get us some decent stuff that's actually worth buying.....And whilst you're there "Vivitar" products are flipping awful! Might've been a "name" in the past, but they certainly ain't now!

I wouldn't trust Bid as far as I could throw them.

Their underhanded tactics for getting sales on screen, and completely beyond the pale attempts to defend themselves on this site (M&M, Katbaker) have put me right off.

Not to mention the fact that their offerings do nothing but make me laugh. And laugh. And laugh.

In the past, I've bought a fair few things from the Sit Up channels, and have only had to return one item (they reimbursed the P&P too.) I've bought the soft touch sheets, a couple of duvet sets, a mattress topper, solar lights, and a cylinder hoover - to name but a few. :wink: Even with the P&P and phone call added they were all cheaper than I could have got elsewhere at that time.

However, I can't remember when I last bought anything from them because the quality has gone down. And nowadays, every time I catch the channels they seem to be flogging Gener8 stick hoovers or watches from 'unheard of' companies.

The quality has certainly nose-dived! It hasn't dropped slightly, it's in freefall. A few years back they had some real quality items. Even if it wasn't something l actually wanted myself, l could acknowledge the quality of the item, and quite often, it was a name brand item. I've bought a few decent things over the years. A DKNY Bracelet, Storm handbag (for the other half), a Sekonda watch, and various big name items of clothing. However, nowadays if they have any recognised name brand items, they stick out a mile amongst all the cheap Gener8, Tommy & Kate, Fletcher & Lowe, Christian Lars and gold plated crap!

The quality has certainly nose-dived! It hasn't dropped slightly, it's in freefall. A few years back they had some real quality items. Even if it wasn't something l actually wanted myself, l could acknowledge the quality of the item, and quite often, it was a name brand item. I've bought a few decent things over the years. A DKNY Bracelet, Storm handbag (for the other half), a Sekonda watch, and various big name items of clothing. However, nowadays if they have any recognised name brand items, they stick out a mile amongst all the cheap Gener8, Tommy & Kate, Fletcher & Lowe, Christian Lars and gold plated crap!

Oh no! Christin Lars is a MASSIVELY huge name! Peter Simon and James Russell said so. Christin and Tommy & Kate are SO exclusive that when you Google them, they only appear on Bid's websites! :wonder:

And to those who say Tommy & Kate aren't real, St Peter of Simon has said on many occasions that he has spoken to this illustrious pair of designers.

Before or after his medication has taken hold is unclear, but even so!

Oh no! Christin Lars is a MASSIVELY huge name! Peter Simon and James Russell said so. Christin and Tommy & Kate are SO exclusive that when you Google them, they only appear on Bid's websites! :wonder:

And to those who say Tommy & Kate aren't real, St Peter of Simon has said on many occasions that he has spoken to this illustrious pair of designers.

Before or after his medication has taken hold is unclear, but even so!

Oh Lord! He's been eating those funny mushrooms again

So far this year I've had the egg cup things (£2.99 with free P&P) which are still going strong and the steam mop which including the postage and call was just short of £40, but it's had good use (after a particularly messy party involving pre packs alcohol shots in a piñata...) and its still going strong. I agree some of the stuff looks utter crap but it clearly is utter crap so why are people buying it?

I did notice that they've got DKNY stuff on again - just remember if they went through a period of buying crap at the business end of things they could well be sat on a warehouse full of sh$t and other they can do about it other than sell it.

Latest posts

Back