Reversible jacket! What's going on?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I was watching Sally this afternoon and she was "bigging up" this reversible raincoat, black on one side, animal print on the other, quite nice, but quite flimsy looking - typical sit up quality.

After much hype from our Sal, by the time it came to air, about 20 people had already jumped onto the phonelines before the starting price had come up, they continued to flood the phonelines, and two entire sizes had sold out again, before the start price was shown. Eventually the ridiculous price of £79.99 flashed onto the screen, sorry but you wouldn't even pay that much for a thin rainocat in John Lewis or Debenhams let alone the rest of the high street! It dropped down to £69.99. I expected it do go down a couple more times through the £50's and £30's and stop around the £18 -£20 mark. People were still frantically dropping in at this stage then it ground to a defiant halt at £34.99! Add your p&p, add your phone call and it's cost you £44.51 -ridiculous! Now you'd pay that sort of money for a decent lightweight coat in M&S....And I seriously doubt that this Price drop version would come anywhere near in terms if quality. Anyway, they put a clock on, so that obviously locked that silly price in. I wonder whether the people ringing expected that to happen.

They'd also be pretty gutted if they looked online now....It's £24.99 with no phone call charge either- What's going on here?

It never ceases to amaze me what some people will pay for something they could easily buy down their local high street. I often wonder whether these people live on a desert island and have no shops available, or if they are housebound!

I always tell friends when they are thinking of buying an item off bid to always check the website whilst the auction is running as most the time the price is better on there like you say. It's probably the thing that most irk's me about Bid, do other shopping channels do the same?
When I am tempted by an item on bid personally I follow these steps. Check amazon etc to see if its a fair price > then check bids website to see if its cheaper on there > then check bids ebay store to see if the same item is on there and going cheaper lol. To be honest I don't usually get past step one lol.

I was watching Sally this afternoon and she was "bigging up" this reversible raincoat, black on one side, animal print on the other, quite nice, but quite flimsy looking - typical sit up quality.

After much hype from our Sal, by the time it came to air, about 20 people had already jumped onto the phonelines before the starting price had come up, they continued to flood the phonelines, and two entire sizes had sold out again, before the start price was shown. Eventually the ridiculous price of £79.99 flashed onto the screen, sorry but you wouldn't even pay that much for a thin rainocat in John Lewis or Debenhams let alone the rest of the high street! It dropped down to £69.99. I expected it do go down a couple more times through the £50's and £30's and stop around the £18 -£20 mark. People were still frantically dropping in at this stage then it ground to a defiant halt at £34.99! Add your p&p, add your phone call and it's cost you £44.51 -ridiculous! Now you'd pay that sort of money for a decent lightweight coat in M&S....And I seriously doubt that this Price drop version would come anywhere near in terms if quality. Anyway, they put a clock on, so that obviously locked that silly price in. I wonder whether the people ringing expected that to happen.

They'd also be pretty gutted if they looked online now....It's £24.99 with no phone call charge either- What's going on here?

Could I politely suggest (as with the neck massagers and the electric pressure cooker yesterday) it is merely another product that is inflated by £10 because of the 'free £10 credit'?

They seem to have been doing this, or reducing products they usually sell at just over £10 to £9.99, or placing things on easybuy that usually aren't, or increasing the sale price (like with the 2 in 1 vac) so they include free P+P which means you cannot use the £10 credit as it is a promotion.

Last edited:
Of course! D'ya know I'd completely forgotten about that farce!! At first I thought it was the daft viewers all ringing in at once, and buying it all up before the price had the chance to fall, then when they put the clock on at £34.99, that kinda killed that theory for me...but yes, you're right, it's still within the "hike it up by a tenner, so we don't lose out period" - That company is rotten to the core, yet I can't help watching, and I buy quite a bit too!

It really is disgusting.

They are like the junk mail scammers.

Cynical bastards the lot of them.

It really is disgusting.

They are like the junk mail scammers.

Cynical bastards the lot of them.

You mean the three "limited edition" cat figurines I bought aren't going to increase 100-fold in value!?

Latest posts

Back