This weeks ASA ruling against Sit Up - 6 March 2013

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This one was mine I must add ;) I have another one out next wednesday, and 3 more currently with the ASA council awaiting adjudication

This one was mine I must add ;) I have another one out next wednesday, and 3 more currently with the ASA council awaiting adjudication

Hello Benny. I thought they had banned you for a while? Hope they rethought it and you are back. It was a bad way to treat you

They must spend a lot if time having their retraining nowadays!How do you know about the informally resolved one Wirral?

There's a section on the site (Sorry FP, I should have provided a link). This was one of mine, it was Guy Kean's ludicrous claim that a rooftop aerial cannot receive digital signals. I was quite happy it was informally resolved as it was clearly down to the presenter's obvious incompetence and ignorance rather than trying to deceive. It hasn't been repeated.

This is a weekly event nowadays isn't it? :giggle:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications.aspx#2

Last edited:
I'm surprised considering the sheer volume of upheld complaints Sit Up has had over the past couple of months, the authority would have some kind of system in place where something is actually done, instead of just dishing out rulings like toffees. It's almost like them being told that they can't say a pair of earrings are gold when they're not, so they just repeat the offence using a necklace instead!

I'm surprised considering the sheer volume of upheld complaints Sit Up has had over the past couple of months, the authority would have some kind of system in place where something is actually done, instead of just dishing out rulings like toffees. It's almost like them being told that they can't say a pair of earrings are gold when they're not, so they just repeat the offence using a necklace instead!

I am very interested to see what the ASA would do if any advertiser makes the same 'mistakes' after similar complaints have been upheld.

Time will tell.

The ironic thing is, instead of the ASA going after repeat offenders, such as Bid. They instead get funny with the member of the public who brings the contravention to their attention and bans them from reporting any further breaches, citing that they cannot spend too much time on one person. Well, if the company behaved itself and was honest in its tactics, there wouldn't be a need to report it. I suppose when you are funded by the same industry you are regulating, the old adage of never bite the hand that feeds, comes into play!

The ironic thing is, instead of the ASA going after repeat offenders, such as Bid. They instead get funny with the member of the public who brings the contravention to their attention and bans them from reporting any further breaches, citing that they cannot spend too much time on one person. Well, if the company behaved itself and was honest in its tactics, there wouldn't be a need to report it. I suppose when you are funded by the same industry you are regulating, the old adage of never bite the hand that feeds, comes into play!

Exactly Tony. Instead of banning them, when after all, their complaints are being upheld; why doesn't the ASA ask themselves WHY? Isn't it time to do something about repeat offenders? If a TV advert for, say, chocolate made ludicrous claims, then it would be taken off.

Hello Benny. I thought they had banned you for a while? Hope they rethought it and you are back. It was a bad way to treat you

I'm still banned for 6 months, but they are still dealing with the complaints I put forward before hand :)

I'm still banned for 6 months, but they are still dealing with the complaints I put forward before hand :)

I honestly cannot understand how the ASA could make such a decision, particularly when your complaints seem to have a pretty high 'upheld' ratio.

Anyway Benny if you see anything you think is amiss i'm sure someone on here will be delighted to make the complaint for you if you so wished, I certainly would.

Latest posts

Back