The 'old days'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hillary

Registered Shopper
We have recently moved house, relocating to a much smaller one. Clearing out the barn and attics in our old house, I found 2 paintings of the Maasai I bought from situps ages ago. One is of a lady and the other is of hunters coming towards you through a heat haze. I had forgotten how good they both are, as good as the ones we bought at the Maasai Cultural Centre when we were out there a while ago. We have put them on the well of our stairs. It has been a serendipity moment, all the colours in the paintings match the gold and apricot of the landing and stairs. At the house warming party they were greately admired. It brought home to me, the smashing little bargains you used to be able to get on bid/pricedrop. I wouldn't give tuppence for the paintings, prints and figurines they have these days.

I'm no art expert but even with my untrained eye I can appreciate a nice painting, something I haven't seen on Bid in a long time. I must try and contact Lisa Brash and get some tips, she is an art expert.

I have to be honest (where have you heard that before?) but I was half expecting that Banksy mural that disappeared from a London shop wall to turn up on Bid in a mega, mega, megadrop. Well, at least a 'limited' edition print of it anyway.

With art, if you like it, you like it and you don't have to justify yourself to anyone. Just because something costs millions doesn't mean you have to like. Van Gogh's Sunflowers goes for mega money, but personally l cannot see anything special about! Likewise, because something is cheap doesn't make it bad. lt's all about personal taste. That said, l really struggle to understand how anyone likes those twee Kinkade abominations or those dreadful animal ones knocked out by Stephen Gayford. l often wonder how bad someone's front room would have to look for those to fit in?????

With art, if you like it, you like it and you don't have to justify yourself to anyone. Just because something costs millions doesn't mean you have to like. Van Gogh's Sunflowers goes for mega money, but personally l cannot see anything special about! Likewise, because something is cheap doesn't make it bad. lt's all about personal taste. That said, l really struggle to understand how anyone likes those twee Kinkade abominations or those dreadful animal ones knocked out by Stephen Gayford. l often wonder how bad someone's front room would have to look for those to fit in?????

Just for you Tony but the monumental BS'er and bore Chris Birkett has a Steven Gayford coming up next.

He said it's a 'limited, limited, limited edition print, not many of these in the world never mind this country'. Just buy it!

He just claimed 'you might think this is a photograph of the Tigers but it isn't, it's a painting, well it's actually a print of a painting'. My eyesight isn't great, and i'm no expert but I think even I can tell it's not a photograph. The background has no detail whatsoever, just shades of green.

What a plonker!

gayford.jpg

Last edited:
Just for you Tony but the monumental BS'er and bore Chris Birkett has a Steven Gayford coming up next.

He said it's a 'limited, limited, limited edition print, not many of these in the world never mind this country'. Just buy it!

He just claimed 'you might think this is a photograph of the Tigers but it isn't, it's a painting, well it's actually a print of a painting'. My eyesight isn't great, and i'm no expert but I think even I can tell it's not a photograph. The background has no detail whatsoever, just shades of green.

What a plonker!

View attachment 8919

Jeez, that's not much of an effort painting wise! I could do the same on MS Paint! Looks like Stephen simply drew/painted one tiger and then did a reflection print of the same tiger.... and the green backdrop is hideous! Maybe he ran out of paint or got side tracked with a tiger trying to maul him? :drunk:

Jeez, that's not much of an effort painting wise! I could do the same on MS Paint! Looks like Stephen simply drew/painted one tiger and then did a reflection print of the same tiger.... and the green backdrop is hideous! Maybe he ran out of paint or got side tracked with a tiger trying to maul him? :drunk:

To my untrained eye it kind of looks like it was done in a rush.

Maybe he knocks them out for Sit Up in batch loads, say 10 a day?

It possibly takes longer to deliver them.

Last edited:
I think Gayford is a talented artist, no doubt about it, but I don't know anyone who's home would be enhanced by a wildlife painting. Maybe I'm being stupid here, but who has pictures of lions and tigers on their walls? Most people I know have something abstract, or modern canvasses everywhere. As sweet as they are they'd look totally wrong and out of place in my house.

I think Gayford is a talented artist, no doubt about it, but I don't know anyone who's home would be enhanced by a wildlife painting. Maybe I'm being stupid here, but who has pictures of lions and tigers on their walls? Most people I know have something abstract, or modern canvasses everywhere. As sweet as they are they'd look totally wrong and out of place in my house.

Maybe Peter Simon?

He said he would put the Lion Throw (2 x 2.4 metres) up on a wall as a feature.

We have a David Shepherd elephant print in our sitting room. If you don't know his work, look him up. His paintings are just so evocative, you can almost feel the sun and smell the warm earth. His work brings back wonderful memories of Africa and he has done a heck of lot for conservation. His non animal work is excellent too.

Anyone really into The Jungle Book or The Lion King?

As long as you can't smell the elephant! :mysmilie_495:

Wonderful stuff to dig into your garden. Talking of which, did a spot of gardening on Sunday and now I'm walking like Mrs Brown from ':Mrs Brown's Boys':grin:

Yesterday I put a duvet cover I've not used for a few months on the bed . It was bought from Bid quite a few years ago and I've used it a lot. It is of good strong quality cotton and the pillow cases always look crisp and fresh even after a week's wear. The colours are as clear and bright as the day I bought it and as far as I can remember, it wasn't very expensive compared to Dunelm and M&S , even factoring in the postage. It is a far cry from the sub standard tat they are selling today. The last cover I bought from them was unraveling as I got it out of the packaging and so thin and poor quality cotton that I sent it back and told them they had sent me a gauze curtain by mistake. It's quite an eye opener, not to say wake up call to compare what situps were to what they have now become

I have several sets of Egyptian cotton towels that came from Bid about 8 or 9 years ago and they are still going strong.
They wash up great and have kept there colour and are still soft and fluffy.
They where great value and if I saw the same again I would snap them up.

I have several sets of Egyptian cotton towels that came from Bid about 8 or 9 years ago and they are still going strong.

8 or 9 years is a very, very long time in Sit Up years.

Much has changed since your purchase.

I had the same, wonderful quality and still going strong, they were a real bargain

This morning my husband reminded me of the 'binoculars incident' It was when bid&price drop were slowly introducing the tat they now routinely sell, but we hadn't noticed.

We have a little sea-going boat and my husband didn't want to use his expensive bird watching binoculars at sea in case they fell in. Little did we know. We saw a really nice, large rubberized pair exactly what he wanted. I think it was on bid, reasonably priced but not cheap factoring in the p&p, so he ordered them. The first thing he noticed when they arrived, was that the rubber was a very thin layer, but he didn't mind.
The following weekend we were out in the bay, and he put the binoculars up to eyes and what followed was like slapstick from a Carry On film. The binoculars fell to pieces, first the strap broke, then one side dropped off, then the other then we hit a wave and it all rolled into the sea. We would have needed a diver to be able to send them back! We put it down to experience, and at the end of the day, it had given we 'crew' a good laugh watching hubby trying to catch all the bits as they fell off. It was a bit like watching a clown's car fall to pieces. It taught us a lesson too. Buyer Beware

Latest posts

Back