Dry skin

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Loveinamist

Registered Shopper
DM pages today: TWITTER TIP Traditionally used for nappy rash, Diprobase Cream is the insider secret to saving dry, itchy skin. From £2.26, chemistdirect.co.uk

Interesting! Thanks for passing that on, LIAM.

After years of spending the equivalent of the Guatamalan National Debt on moisturisers each month, I've given up and just use E45 and an SPF cream instead.
There's honestly no difference in the quality of my skin, and I refuse to accept the screaming hype of these 'must-have, hero' products any more.

I am sure I have about a litre of it in a pump bottle upstairs that was prescribed to help with my daughter's eczema. I put it on her back, arms, cheeks and legs. It seems very thick for the face though, a bit greasy but I may give it a try.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I never use moisturisers on my skin. I still have oily skin at 60 and have nearly given up putting face cream on
at nights, and never put it on at all during the day, under my make up, as it would never stay on me (the make
up). And i always use a decent shower gel, and my arms are lovely and soft, and my legs don't look scaly or dry.
So i'm wondering if its because i have oily skin. I Used to moisturise every night, years ago, but can't be bothered
now. But in the hospital we do see a lot of women with very dry legs, so i think that would be the area to watch

Last edited:
I never use moisturisers on my skin. I still have oily skin at 60 and have nearly given up putting face cream on
at nights, and never put it on at all during the day, under my make up, as it would never stay on me (the make
up). And i always use a decent shower gel, and my arms are lovely and soft, and my legs don't look scaly or dry.
So i'm wondering if its because i have oily skin. I Used to moisturise every night, years ago, but can't be bothered
now. But in the hospital we do see a lot of women with very dry legs, so i think that would be the area to watch
I had a very oily skin with acne. When I saw the hospital dermatologist to sort out the acne, the first question was "I hope you don't use moisturisers". No I didn't despite the best attempts of the high end sales consultants to sell me moisturisers for combination skin. All I used was soap and water.
My skin is now a lot drier due to taking HRT so I do use a moisturiser on my face and also have to moisturise my legs after shower. BTW it was roaccutane treatment at the hospital that sorted out my skin. A radical but fantastic treatment for me in my forties. I gave up the antibiotics after 4 years taken continiously from 15 to 19 years old when a pharmacist told me that I would l become immune to antibiotics and they may not work when I needed them.

I had an oily skin when I was younger but now I call myself "normal to dry" and I do moisturise, tho strangely enough, even tho I use ABC skinwash on my face it never feels tight after washing..yet I tried Dove soap and it did! I cleanse, tone & moisturise at night, and after my morning shower I use a body butter (or whatever) as my legs in particular have become dry.

DD had an oily skin and she had two courses of Roaccutane from the hospital before her acne cleared but she's left with scarring and takes ABs and is on the Pill as she's still prone to break-outs...it's been the bane of her life!

I know people who`ve used Diprobase on their body but never their face. Sometimes the rich emmolient creams can be great for ezcema etc but can be too pore blocking for facial skin. E45 is the same kind of thing, ok for the odd use on the face but doesn`t do it any good if used daily, I know because I`ve tried it in the past. The emmolients definately seem geared towards body usage.
I have dry sensitive skin and a lot of face moisturisers just soak right in and don`t seem to do any good at all on me and yet some of the richer thicker face creams leave an oil slick because they just sit on the surface and many of the richer creams seem to irritate my skin too. Recently I`ve been using a moisturiser off ebay, 5 quid a chuck, no nasties in it, she handmakes it for your skin type and its been working a treat. I found it by accident after I used the cleansing balm from the same seller and so far the moisturiser is working great.
I should imagine oily skin is just as difficult to handle as my dry sensitive skin and as I`ve grown older my age, the menopause and other factors have all done their bit to make it worse.

Vienna, I have read your post with interest, any chance you can pass the details of the seller on to me as I think I am very interested - we sort of have the same skin problem and I am always happy to try something else hoping its better then what I use :thinking:

Although I rant and rave about my sensitivity it is in a way a blessing because it means that after a lot of research, not only am I not taken in by all the hype that certain products promise, but I'm too bluddy scared to experiment any more! My mantra has become two-fold:
1. the fewer ingredients the better
2. no foam.

I love EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) as both a face wash & a face moisturiser. There are one or two other products in the Clinique range I found I can tolerate as it's nice to have a back-up especially when travelling. EVOO in a suitcase is not a good idea - trust me on this lol.

The industry is very savvy. You only have to read the Q section on this forum to realise that women have become very worried about a natural process - aging - and are convinced there must be something better out there just waiting to be discovered. The prices of some of these ranges are beyond a joke. No wonder Q are focusing on Beauty so much these days. It fills their coffers.

True, some women age better than others. My eyes were absolutely wrecked by my sensitivity & no cream, lotion, potion or gel was going to correct that damage however much I forked out for the next wonder solution. My saviour was Dr Scalpel who performed an upper & lower Blepharoplasty. I was fortunate in that I was left a modest sum of money that went towards the cost of making that operation possible & I am thrilled with the result.

Maybe the people who buy 59ml of Perricone Neuropeptide Firming Moisturiser at £222.00 a throw or Perricone Neuropeptide Facial Cleanser at £40.74 or any other 'high end' (Ms Ali) product should invest in a piggy bank .... Just a thought.

Minim is right, don't muck about with sensitive skin. I had a time in my life when everything made my skin red. So I used nothing on it but aqueous cream for a while. Then suddenly It normalised again and now although I still have sensitive skin I know the brands that agree with me and those that don't, and I tend to stay loyal to those.

I choose L'Occitane products for hands and body provided they have no sulphates. Some do, some dont.

Emma Hardie has been good for me apart from the moisture mask which caused red raised rash. The foaming cleanser in her range foams because the dispenser pumps air into it. One pump and it lasts ages.

Ojon seems ok on my hair.

I have a Judith williams serum and eye cream which I tried within the MBG (phytomineral) and neither caused me problems and were actually a pleasure to use.

I would never suggest that Minim or anyone else should try what works for me though as we are all different. I just got sick of being sensitive as I enjoy a bit of pampering, it's a relaxing treat so I am glad my skin behaves itself now.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I have a 124 inch scar on my bikini line following an operation 6 weeks ago. Now the scar has started healing, the consultant asked me to buy a tub of Palmers cocoa cream with vitamin A to use lightly twice a day to soften the scar. Seems to be working.

I have a 124 inch scar on my bikini line following an operation 6 weeks ago. Now the scar has started healing, the consultant asked me to buy a tub of Palmers cocoa cream with vitamin A to use lightly twice a day to soften the scar. Seems to be working.
ILS, that Bio Oil is supposed to be good for scars etc too.

10 feet 4 inches! OMG! That's some bikini line ILS :rock:

Hmmm a typo on my part only 12 inches.

Sorry, that was very mean of me but 12 inches is a whopper! When OH had a major abdominal op about 10 years ago his surgeon recommended cracking open Vitamin E capsules and rubbing the oil onto his scar - it certainly seemed to speed up the healing process.

Hope you are making a good recovery.

Sorry, that was very mean of me but 12 inches is a whopper! When OH had a major abdominal op about 10 years ago his surgeon recommended cracking open Vitamin E capsules and rubbing the oil onto his scar - it certainly seemed to speed up the healing process.

Hope you are making a good recovery.
LOL I am a 6ft amazon so was going to be a big scar anyway. Recovery going well thanks.

Latest posts

Back