Marcasite makes up for blue diamond disappointment

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PearlyQueen

Liverpool Supporter
I had a bit of a mixed haul this week, more returns than keepers - but at least I adore the bits I'm keeping.
kama007.jpg

kama.jpg

I'm so sad about this. I've wanted one since I first saw it on Coloured Rocks when they set up, but I would never have been able to afford it, so I was very excited to win it at auction.
Beautiful pendant, both ways around. Very clever design. Lovely diamonds. But OMG they have seriously skimped on the chain. It's so fine that it tends to tangle, and the clasp is an absolute nightmare - so tiny! I actually took half an hour to get it fastened when I first tried it on, and the same again when I was taking the pics. I didn't have time to refasten it again when I turned it round, so the second pic is just "placed" on my neck, otherwise I'd have missed the PO!!! Lovely as it is, I couldn't live with the chain part, and I didn't want to have to get it altered, so boohoo, going back.

kama016.jpg

My absolute favourite this week, this is MUCH nicer than I ever thought possible, in good light (unlike the pic) it twinkles and sparkles like mad, and the pendant part is HUGE!!! Love this, unexpectedly so.

kama002.jpg

At a bargain price, this is much daintier than my usual taste, but it's very twinkly and looks lovely on. Sadly, I just couldn't get the "arm" parts to sit straight on me, so I've had to let it go.

kama004.jpg

I couldn't figure out why I wasn't knocked out by this. The silver is nice and shiny, it's quite a big look and I love spinels. I finally twigged I felt like a chav wearing it! Don't know what it is, but it's not for me.

kama005.jpg

Another bargain lemon quartz ring, and another I don't think suits me. Too big, which is a major shame as it's really gorgeous.

kama011.jpg

D'oh!!! My own stupid fault, I didn't realise this was rose gold plated when I bought it! But it is, and it's not my thing at all.

kama012.jpg

Another return. I have the pink amethyst version and I've been gagging for the peridot as well, so thrilled to win this. However, seeing them side by side I've realised that probably no-one but me would realise they were different - looking at this bracelet is all about the design, and the stones are very much secondary. Since both are also twinkly pale coloured gems, they don't stand out when you're wearing it, so I really don't think I need both. Shame, but someone else will love it as I do.

kama013.jpg

I was sure this would be my favourite marcasite necklace this week, but it isn't. I love the design, but it's very dark compared to the others. Don't know if it's because there's no paler stone to lighten things up, or if it's just designed this way, but I just like the others better. Not twinkly enough for the rather high price (if it was half as much I'd maybe have seen it differently!), I've tried it on loads of times to try to find a reason to keep it, but I've failed. Such a shame, I love the shape of it.

kama.jpg

kama.jpg

Matching necklace and bracelet (thanks for your help with this one Falguni!). Love love love this set. Beautiful. The MOP has lots of colour coming through, the marcasite is very sparkly and the chain is really beautiful. The necklace doesn't quite sit right on my neck, I think I'm too small for it, but you can't tell when you look at it in a mirror, so I'm keeping it as I love it so much. Feels very expensive, but wasn't. Absolute bargain.

So I'm due a big refund (half spent already hahaha), but I love what I'm keeping so happy enough. But the blue diamond necklace was a major disappointment. I can't believe they cut corners on something as silly as the chain!

Last edited:
What a shame Anne, the design of the blue/white diamond is so clever, and how sad that they've spoilt the ship for a happeth of tar!!

It's very easy to get carried away when buying from Rocks, but at least you're doing the right thing and sending back anything you're not 100% delighted with. I don't own any marcasite jewellery, but I've very tempted, funnily enough I love the one you're sending back most!!!

Still, that's the great thing with Rocks, no problems returing anything, no hassle getting a refund, and NO letters scolding you for too many returns:1:

:doggie:

I think all of those look nice! - but the first marcasite pendant really stands out as a total stunner. Just lovely.

I think the Kama charms actually work better as a bracelet than a necklace, I'm slowly building up a collection for my bracelet (and fooled a friend with a genuine Pandora) I don't think the necklace would suit me either - but would buy one for the charms and use the chain for something else. The spinels are fab though, aren't they?

Shame shame shame about the blue diamonds.

kama002.jpg

At a bargain price, this is much daintier than my usual taste, but it's very twinkly and looks lovely on. Sadly, I just couldn't get the "arm" parts to sit straight on me, so I've had to let it go.

Snap! I thought it was me - I've tried and tried with this necklace, and I love it because it's so sparkly, but not only do they not sit straight, they all twist up and buckle, so I'm very sadly going to have to send mine back too. It's a real shame because the matching bracelet is stunning, which I'll keep, but there's not much point wearing something that doesn't hang right.

I love your marcasite, shame you've got to send some back, but there's always more out there to buy!!

Fab pics Anne.

So sorry you are disappointed with the blue diamond pendants - well the quality of the chains, I wonder why they would put such a fine chain on them, madness - as M4G says it just seems a pointless cost cutting exercise, which spoils the beautiful pendant totally.

Awwww, sorry you don't like the marcasite necklace - as you know I have that one.
The colour of the marcasite does tend to vary from design to design - I have a necklace/bracelet set (oval type links) that is a very silver, bright colour and all the others are various shades darker - the one you are sending back probably is the darkest of them all - but I actually really love it.
I also managed to get it at a good price.
Having bought a lot of marcasite and seen a lot auctioned - the prices do seem to vary enormously on the pieces from evening to evening, possibly more so than the other types of jewellery auctioned - so you can never predict.

The marcasite/MOP pendant/necklace looks very substantial (I've never seen that one and it's not on my list from them either which Katherine has done for me) - beautiful Anne.

(look forward to seeing the one you bought this week! :biggrin)

I have the pink MOP and marcasite necklace and it is stunner, love it. It is so sparkly.

I have loved all the marcasite pieces i have bought from Rocks apart from the latest bracelet which is a dainty pearl and marcasite item. Still undecided whether to keep it - when i opened the box, it didn't have that 'wow' factor that the others did.

Have some more things coming early next week ( again :whistle:) ) so will see if they are all keepers - if they are, I will keep the bracelet, if not, I will return it.

Feel sorry sending something back home on its own.:chuckle:

I like you loved the blue diamond necklace what a shame its not lived up to your expectations i see what you mean from your pictures about the skimpy chain,
I've not got any marcasite yet but could well be tempted seeing yours.I agree totally with mad4gems dont keep anything your not happy with cause its not a bargain if you end up not wearing it .

Snap! I thought it was me - I've tried and tried with this necklace, and I love it because it's so sparkly, but not only do they not sit straight, they all twist up and buckle, so I'm very sadly going to have to send mine back too. It's a real shame because the matching bracelet is stunning, which I'll keep, but there's not much point wearing something that doesn't hang right.

I love your marcasite, shame you've got to send some back, but there's always more out there to buy!!

Thank you! Mine was twisting up too at the drop of a hat. So glad to find out it really is a design thing rather than an "Anne is an idiot" thing!

Fab pics Anne.

So sorry you are disappointed with the blue diamond pendants - well the quality of the chains, I wonder why they would put such a fine chain on them, madness - as M4G says it just seems a pointless cost cutting exercise, which spoils the beautiful pendant totally.

Awwww, sorry you don't like the marcasite necklace - as you know I have that one.
The colour of the marcasite does tend to vary from design to design - I have a necklace/bracelet set (oval type links) that is a very silver, bright colour and all the others are various shades darker - the one you are sending back probably is the darkest of them all - but I actually really love it.
I also managed to get it at a good price.
Having bought a lot of marcasite and seen a lot auctioned - the prices do seem to vary enormously on the pieces from evening to evening, possibly more so than the other types of jewellery auctioned - so you can never predict.

The marcasite/MOP pendant/necklace looks very substantial (I've never seen that one and it's not on my list from them either which Katherine has done for me) - beautiful Anne.

(look forward to seeing the one you bought this week! :biggrin)

The returning one was much more expensive than any of the others for me Sara - and I totally agree about the prices on the marcasite varying enormously. It makes it a bit of a lottery!
In case you're interested the pink one is item no TH559. I'd hate to think your list was incomplete!!!

What a shame about the blue diamond pendant,but as you say,the chain looks very lightweight for an expensive piece!

As for the keepers..............they all are very you:1:

The MOP pieces are lovely,vintage and very expensive looking.

I have the kama charms necklace and though I thought I wouldn't like it I find that i really do,have worn it quite a bit since I got it,I find it gives my casual jeans and T shirt look a funky feel............didn't know what the name for that was but now I know..........CHAV!!:54::3::18:

I look forward to the kama charms bracelet I ordered arriving to complete the look!!

Now....who can recommend a good cheap site for Burberry!!:54:

Wow Anne! Love love love the mac. necklaces. I havn't got any mac. necklaces as did not think it would suit me but I want one now! They look stunning on you. Love the set with MOP. I am so glad I could be of help with the bracelet! Wish I had bid on the other necklace that went for a bargain.

I thought the Kama charm necklace might go back. I have kept mine as I really want to add more charms and this will make it better for me. I might have to go for a bracelet/necklace to swap the charms as charms on their own are very expensive!!!!!!

Shame regarding the blue diamond pendant - You have saved me money as I won't be going for it now.

Look forward to seeing your new haul xx

I had a bit of a mixed haul this week, more returns than keepers - but at least I adore the bits I'm keeping.
kama007.jpg

kama.jpg

I'm so sad about this. I've wanted one since I first saw it on Coloured Rocks when they set up, but I would never have been able to afford it, so I was very excited to win it at auction.
Beautiful pendant, both ways around. Very clever design. Lovely diamonds. But OMG they have seriously skimped on the chain. It's so fine that it tends to tangle, and the clasp is an absolute nightmare - so tiny! I actually took half an hour to get it fastened when I first tried it on, and the same again when I was taking the pics. I didn't have time to refasten it again when I turned it round, so the second pic is just "placed" on my neck, otherwise I'd have missed the PO!!! Lovely as it is, I couldn't live with the chain part, and I didn't want to have to get it altered, so boohoo, going back.

kama016.jpg

My absolute favourite this week, this is MUCH nicer than I ever thought possible, in good light (unlike the pic) it twinkles and sparkles like mad, and the pendant part is HUGE!!! Love this, unexpectedly so.

kama002.jpg

kama004.jpg

I couldn't figure out why I wasn't knocked out by this. The silver is nice and shiny, it's quite a big look and I love spinels. I finally twigged I felt like a chav wearing it! Don't know what it is, but it's not for me.

kama005.jpg

Another bargain lemon quartz ring, and another I don't think suits me. Too big, which is a major shame as it's really gorgeous.

kama011.jpg

D'oh!!! My own stupid fault, I didn't realise this was rose gold plated when I bought it! But it is, and it's not my thing at all.

kama012.jpg

Another return. I have the pink amethyst version and I've been gagging for the peridot as well, so thrilled to win this. However, seeing them side by side I've realised that probably no-one but me would realise they were different - looking at this bracelet is all about the design, and the stones are very much secondary. Since both are also twinkly pale coloured gems, they don't stand out when you're wearing it, so I really don't think I need both. Shame, but someone else will love it as I do.

kama013.jpg

I was sure this would be my favourite marcasite necklace this week, but it isn't. I love the design, but it's very dark compared to the others. Don't know if it's because there's no paler stone to lighten things up, or if it's just designed this way, but I just like the others better. Not twinkly enough for the rather high price (if it was half as much I'd maybe have seen it differently!), I've tried it on loads of times to try to find a reason to keep it, but I've failed. Such a shame, I love the shape of it.

kama.jpg

kama.jpg

Matching necklace and bracelet (thanks for your help with this one Falguni!). Love love love this set. Beautiful. The MOP has lots of colour coming through, the marcasite is very sparkly and the chain is really beautiful. The necklace doesn't quite sit right on my neck, I think I'm too small for it, but you can't tell when you look at it in a mirror, so I'm keeping it as I love it so much. Feels very expensive, but wasn't. Absolute bargain.

So I'm due a big refund (half spent already hahaha), but I love what I'm keeping so happy enough. But the blue diamond necklace was a major disappointment. I can't believe they cut corners on something as silly as the chain!

Not brought from rocks yet, the marcasite and MOP set is lovely Anne C, It looks lovely, really striking. I do see your chav point about the karma charms necklace, They are pretty, but maybe more suited for under 20 yr olds to prevent the chav look. It can be difficult to tell till you get the items home though can't it. Sorry you was disappointed with the blue dimamond necklace, it looks very unusual.

Anne what a shame about the blue diamonds design. Its stunning but no good if it wont sit right, maybe they'll sort it and one day you'll get it again.

I LOVE those mother of pearl items, seriously love them, they look expensive and very glam, sadly I never go anywhere to wear items like that but if I did, oh wow i'd love them.

Marcasite: I haven't ever seen marcasite in the flesh but have never heard anyone criticise it, everyones raving about it, am gonna obviously have to investigate sometime lol

Darls I have a few marcasite rings. I get lots of compliments when I wear them and they were only between £5 - £10.

am gutted for you Anne about that BD pendant - it was my absolute fave item on the original website. can't believe they skimped on the chain - and having seen it up close in yr photos, am shocked they actually made such a design decision.

sorry to read about your returns, but you've made pragmatic choices and it's best to be sensible when something doesn't feel right.

sorry about the returns especially the bd but if its not right i dont blame you, but the ones you are keeping are gorgeous

Latest posts

Back