I Need a Sunscreen!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

minim

Registered Shopper
I'm still on the look out for a good UVA/ UVB sunscreen that will protect my overly sensitive skin. I bought a few samples last year, but looked like a ghost.
Seeing this photograph

sunscreen_zps8665d7e3.png

makes the quest very compelling.

"In the picture an unnamed truck driver is directly facing the camera, and one side of his face looks decades older than the other.
Care to guess which side? Yes, the side exposed to the truck’s window and therefore, the sun."
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...oto-will-make-you-want-sunscreen-this-summer/

I gave up last year & relied on the SPF in my tinted moisturiser, but it was not enough.
I've managed to tone down 2 sunspots on my forehead this winter & I don't want to see them again!

Any suggestions?

Does Clinique still do the "city block". It's a titanium dioxide base and a high SPF. It's been a few years since I bought one so can't remember much more about it.

I personally use Ultrasun face 30 but I had the same one on the go for 3 years as I don't use a sunscreen every day as I live in a cave.I therefore need a new one. I have sensitive (but not hyper-sensitive) skin and ultrasun was ok for me. The factor 50 is fine on my children.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks WG

I've got the Clinique Super City Block 40 SPF & although I have no issues with sensitivity, the tint means it's only suitable for the depths of winter.
I haven't tried the SPF 25 but have thought about it, but anticipate the same waxy look.

I tried Ultrasun when Q first launched it, but it was not for me. Felt awful & itched.
They've added to their range so maybe there's something else that is better? I don't know.

Skinceuticals Sheer Mineral UV Defence SPF 50 made me look like the walking dead. I ordered off the web & got a free sample (5mls) of La Roche-Posay. It was very thick & not enough to really test drive.

I was given Heliocare Urban SPF 30 to try by a friend, but the ingredients list was :eek:

What about Liz Earle's sunscreen, but you're probably gonna tell me the list in that is ugh also:)

Why not just put baby oil on, thats what we all did years ago, (joke), but the damage is done anyway to be honest,
according to plastic surgeons :( (But i suppose you can stop further damage)

Last edited:
How high a factor do you need for now Minim? I am very fair skinned with freckles so burn very easily. I use either a moisturiser with a high SPF and dare I say it the perricone no foundation foundation ( stands back for widespread condemnation) if I am going out but I know you have sensitive skin so it is something you probably would avoid.

What about Liz Earle's sunscreen, but you're probably gonna tell me the list in that is ugh also:)

Why not just put baby oil on, thats what we all did years ago, (joke), but the damage is done anyway to be honest,
according to plastic surgeons :( (But i suppose you can stop further damage)

I've never been a sun worshipper & when my two brown spots showed up I decided I didn't want any more.

I didn't know Liz Earle did a sunscreen.
Hmmm - will have to investigate.
Thanks Babs

How high a factor do you need for now Minim? I am very fair skinned with freckles so burn very easily. I use either a moisturiser with a high SPF and dare I say it the perricone no foundation foundation ( stands back for widespread condemnation) if I am going out but I know you have sensitive skin so it is something you probably would avoid.

I've read anything above 30 is just hype & a waste of money
...any SPF over 30 provides only incremental extra blockage of the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays. Let’s look at the actual protection (The math is easy, just divide 1 over the SPF number):

SPF 2 blocks 50%
SPF 15 blocks 93%
SPF 30 blocks 97%
SPF 50 blocks 98%
SPF 70 blocks 98.6%
SPF 90 blocks 98.9%
http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/2011/06/is-your-sunscreen-spf-50-dont-waste-your-money/

The thinner the gloop is the better.

PERRICONE! *!&$$$$$ .... ye gods!

I've just come across this one - Badger Balm Damascus Rose Face Sunscreen SPF16
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007JLYEYQ/?tag=shoppingcom03-21
but I've got to do my homework on it.

Here's the Liz Earle one http://www.qvcuk.com/Liz-Earle-3-Pi...=201928-DRIL&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-81-_-201928

I have used it , but when i sit out in the sun i do wear the floppy hat i got from QVC with a wide brim that has a sunscreen in it,
and its brill.

Thanks Babs.

I just did a bit of roaming around the internet and found this extremely RUDE review (lol)
Warning: crude language .... but it did make me giggle
http://www.facegoop.com/2010/04/28/liz-earle-mineral-sun-cream-review/

I've gone from shrinking back in horror at the photo to laughing out loud at the review..oh dear me..!

I have a whole aveda bag ( remember when we used to get those?) full of small sample tubes of similar gloopy type products that I am keeping for a rainy day. Oh, I still have my decleor bags from the old TSVs as well. My favourite being a circular quilted affair from the very early days.

Thanks Babs.

I just did a bit of roaming around the internet and found this extremely RUDE review (lol)
Warning: crude language .... but it did make me giggle
http://www.facegoop.com/2010/04/28/liz-earle-mineral-sun-cream-review/

Anyone for a face that looks like you've rolled it found in some finely milled porrige oats? Then apparently this is the stuff for you! Not only that but apparently it's a bit like the Eagles song Hotel California, once on it doesn't leave! :wink::mysmilie_483: Great post Min!

Hey, be great for Halloween! Praps Liz/Avon could re brand it & call it SUNSCREAM LOL.

Last edited:
I'm so happy I'm not the only person who couldn't bear Liz Earle sunscreen! Everyone else seemed to be raving about it and it was like smearing semi-set cement on your face.

Beauty Bible Testing sent me the Nivea Sun Spray to try, a couple of years ago. It was brilliant and so I've been using that ever since.
It's like a facial spritz, it doesn't affect your make up or leave greasy marks on your clothes, and Boots was selling it at about £6 last summer.
It goes up to SPF50, but there are lower strengths available, too. My skin's quite sensitive these days but the Nivea spray is fine, in fact, it's quite soothing and cooling.

Latest posts

Back