James Russell's impressing me lately

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

E

Enigma

Guest Shopper
I never thought I'd be writing this, but here goes.

James Russell seems to have calmed himself down lately. Possibly due to impending parenthood. But it's working.

He seems almost like a different person. And a much nicer one at that.

Unlike some of his colleagues, he doesn't need his "friends" to come on here to shout down anyone who doesn't like him either.

Nor does his missus run a "fan page" for him on Facebook.

So, no delusions of celebrity status for this sales assistant!

I'm starting to see why others like him. :clapping:

I never thought I'd be writing this, but here goes.

James Russell seems to have calmed himself down lately. Possibly due to impending parenthood. But it's working.

He seems almost like a different person. And a much nicer one at that.

Unlike some of his colleagues, he doesn't need his "friends" to come on here to shout down anyone who doesn't like him either.

Nor does his missus run a "fan page" for him on Facebook.

So, no delusions of celebrity status for this sales assistant!

I'm starting to see why others like him. :clapping:

Got to say I agree Enigma, I know he has had his moments in the past but he is much improved now.

I still think Andy Hodgson is the top, all round male presenter but James is certainly getting better and better.

Isnt he beautiful, but on the outside for me, Im not sure about him as a person, he seems a bit insincere, as they all can do, but I just dont get any emotion from him. I never feel like he is talking to me, as I watch. he seems aloof a lot of the time. I cant make him out really.

One thing I hope when fatherhood comes, he dosent milk it for the purpose of sales. We will have to see.

Got to say I agree Enigma, I know he has had his moments in the past but he is much improved now.

I still think Andy Hodgson is the top, all round male presenter but James is certainly getting better and better.

Andy is the best presenter sit-up has, but I agree with you.

James is definitely improving!

I dont like all the 'thanks chap 'thanks matie' 'MATIE' he uses some awful turn of phrase. Usually is its say Charlie or the Window vac man yesterday, he is always saying' thanks matie' sounds patronising and I cant help thinking James is perhaps the least close to peter of all the presenters,I get the impression, when they hand over to each other, that they are not great mates.

I dont like all the 'thanks chap 'thanks matie' 'MATIE' he uses some awful turn of phrase. Usually is its say Charlie or the Window vac man yesterday, he is always saying' thanks matie' sounds patronising and I cant help thinking James is perhaps the least close to peter of all the presenters,I get the impression, when they hand over to each other, that they are not great mates.

Well good! I don't want grubby Peter bringing him down. The lad is on the up :clapping:

I just think with James Russell unless you are like him, wife, baby on the way and what I think of as 'Barrett type house life then you are not on the radar. i watch him a llot but he doesnt make me feel included.

he's certainly changed, but still a bit too insincere and patronizing for me.

Let's not kid ourselves, he hasn't changed because he's seen the error of his ways or had an attack of concious. He's changed because he's made so many outlandish statements in the past, and due to the hard work of a few here, he's been forced to due the amount of complaints the ASA were receiving. Even a company as morally low as Sit Up couldn't keep letting him get away with what he was.

He still strikes me as a oily liar who'd sell you his own grandma and then cheat you on the change!

tony73 I completley agree, I think the only reason for his few changes is in fact due to ASA rules and not a change in personality. I also think he would probably say lots of things to increase his sales. I do not think he is becoming saintly but some obviosuly feel he has improved for the better. I personally, feel he does not care about the viewers really. He also only seems to 'talk' to people who have his lifestyle when truth is many of bids loyal viewers are perhaps older and some lonely too, he should reach out to those. I know Peter might just be tryin to align himself to a certain market but least Simon does acknowledge people. James needs to realise, that even if he wears a Saville Row suit and a Swissair silver tie pin, he works at a slightly downmarket shopping channel and dont make people fee left out.

He does seem to have lost the hard sell patter and does come across as much nicer & friendly. But as most parents know the world seems a beautiful place when your expecting your first child, he's obviously just going through the phase of extreme happiness just before his baby is born which is obviously rubbing off on his sale pitch. He still does big up crappy items (imo) but I can forgive him for that as they all do.
I hope he stays like this, fatherhood can often change a person for the better.

I will say I agree with others about the ASA as I noticed he explained in detail exactly what type of opal was for sale the other day (explained how it was just a slice of opal).

Last edited:
I dont think he has become saintly!! he is simply covering his back by being more transparent with the costs etc.

tony73 I completley agree, I think the only reason for his few changes is in fact due to ASA rules and not a change in personality. I also think he would probably say lots of things to increase his sales. I do not think he is becoming saintly but some obviosuly feel he has improved for the better. I personally, feel he does not care about the viewers really. He also only seems to 'talk' to people who have his lifestyle when truth is many of bids loyal viewers are perhaps older and some lonely too, he should reach out to those. I know Peter might just be tryin to align himself to a certain market but least Simon does acknowledge people. James needs to realise, that even if he wears a Saville Row suit and a Swissair silver tie pin, he works at a slightly downmarket shopping channel and dont make people fee left out.

They all say lots of things to increase sales. None of them care about the viewers, why would they? Peter is most certainly aligning himself to the older viewers, for sales.

They are all sales people,

It's just that James Russell is the most handsome, most impeccable seller on there, that's all :wink:

HEY. I was there first. No I dont like his personality, I find his patter a bit sickly. I think he needs to do a reality check, he only works for a downmarket shopping channel, he dresses for the opera, he must look out of place amongst them all in his immaculate suits. I think he must have a sort of suit fetish. I dont see many men wearing a 3 piece suit with bib and tie pin!

In all honesty he's not up against alot of competition though :thinking::giggle:

I think that's right but dress wise James certainly does stand out compared to the rest.

But in fairness to the others I suppose with some guys it dosen't matter how much they spend on clothes, they just don't have 'it'.

I also think Bod should be commended for his new colourful look, he is filling the wild garb void since Colonel Gaddafi's passing.

Last edited:
He does seem to have lost the hard sell patter and does come across as much nicer & friendly. But as most parents know the world seems a beautiful place when your expecting your first child, he's obviously just going through the phase of extreme happiness just before his baby is born which is obviously rubbing off on his sale pitch. He still does big up crappy items (imo) but I can forgive him for that as they all do.
I hope he stays like this, fatherhood can often change a person for the better.

I will say I agree with others about the ASA as I noticed he explained in detail exactly what type of opal was for sale the other day (explained how it was just a slice of opal).

Not when you're throwing up morning noon and night Mobo:wink2:

For my sins I was watching James during last night's "watch avalanche". (Indeed Sit-up would do us all a service if they tipped their entire consignment of Klaus Kobec on James without warning during one of his shifts. Now that's what I would call a watch avalanche!)

Anyway, he seemed a bit tamer to begin with but when the 'avalanche' really got going it was same old same old, namely that we've sold this Thomas Earnshaw watch for more than £300 in the past followed by the complete life history of Earnshaw (I know they have to but even so), as well as saying that they have made a mistake in the avalanche; the Earnshaw should have come first therefore we have to take a break now in order to try and sort out the 'problem' (namely, what poor excuse he and his producer can come up with next).

In short, the same old bull comes out with the minimum of provocation, and he has only quietened down slightly due to all of the recent ASA rulings, therefore...

D
O NOT BE FOOLED BY JAMES RUSSELL!!!!!!

Even James struggled to sell this monstrosity.

owl.jpg

I have to agree James has got better of late - a lot less of the outright lying. Not saying I'm a fan, but there has been a improvement!

Latest posts

Back