internet providers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

iloveshopping

Registered Shopper
My ISP talk talk called me the other day to offer me an upgrade with TV and a priority internet connection. Hmm I refused their offer of charging me extra. Now a few days later my internet is pants and is cutting out every 10 mins or so. The engineer is coming out on Thursday 11 April but I imagine the problem is a capacity problem. Can anyone recommend a reliable ISP?

Unfortunately, no one can give you a reliable answer to that. It depends on location, usage, wiring age, etc. And of course, all this is unique to everyone! I would suggest you speak to your neighbours to see who they use, and their experience.

Also, find out if you have cable in your area, like Virgin Media or BT Infinity etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks I have all ISPs. There is BT fibre optics, virgin media in my street, also SKY. I may go with Virgin Media and try and get them down on price. I've been with Talk talk since they started but today was just awful and surprise the connection is fine this evening. I bet it will be pants tomorrow.

I have Virgin Media at home and BT Infinity at work. About three miles apart. Virgin is far more reliable that BT. Infinity is better but it still falls over regularly. The only problem I really had at home was with an old router. That ****** cat sleeps on it and it used to overheat and switch off. The cry used to go up "that effing cat is on the router again!". As I really can't get rid of the effing cat I bought a different router. This one is much better and he doesn't seem to be able to overheat it. But he had broken both aerial wotsits off it.

o2 currently provide my broadband (for only £4.50 a month!!!) and I've had no problems with them, but they've been taken over by Sky and so I've no doubt that I'll be looking for another provider unless they can match the price. One of my mobiles is also o2. I can't wait to see what happens with that. I've had BT ring me on several occasions to offer me Infinity, but it's way above what I pay at the moment. I can see my having to search around for a good deal once the take over happens.

I have Virgin Media at home and BT Infinity at work. About three miles apart. Virgin is far more reliable that BT. Infinity is better but it still falls over regularly. The only problem I really had at home was with an old router. That ****** cat sleeps on it and it used to overheat and switch off. The cry used to go up "that effing cat is on the router again!". As I really can't get rid of the effing cat I bought a different router. This one is much better and he doesn't seem to be able to overheat it. But he had broken both aerial wotsits off it.
Thanks your post really made me chuckle on a cold morning. Cats always find the hotspots and he must be completely draped over it.
I am completely addicted to the internet in the same way I am addicted to shopping. I think Virgin may be the way to go unless I can get that O2 deal that Toril mentions.

Thanks your post really made me chuckle on a cold morning. Cats always find the hotspots and he must be completely draped over it.
I am completely addicted to the internet in the same way I am addicted to shopping. I think Virgin may be the way to go unless I can get that O2 deal that Toril mentions.

I think Virgin may be the way to go unless I can get that O2 deal that Toril mentions.

I used to pay £10 a month with o2 but they reduced the cost because I didn't need the download speed (or whatever it's called) because I don't download films etc. Whether the fact that I've been an o2 mobile customer for about 20 years makes any difference to what I'm charged I don't know, but as I'm now a 'Pay as U go' customer it probably doesn't. I changed from a contract because I wasn't using enough to warrant the monthly charge. I would recommend contacting them but as Sky are taking over I suspect that all charges will go up. I must say that I always assumed that o2 would stay as o2 and not sell out to another company. I just hope that Sky don't start bombarding me with "Would you like our cable TV and landline contracts" letters in the future because, to be quite honest, I'm quite happy with Freeview and a phone with BT (on which I also get a price reduction on the annual rental.) Or maybe it's because I don't like change. :wink:

we've only ever had Virgin and no complaints from me - they came recently and fitted a new modem (or hub?) which replaced our old modem and router, and looks much smarter too. Supposed to get up to 30mgs (or whatever the terms is, sorry I'm not that technical) but I have a speed check and tho it's faster than it used to be, it's nowhere near that..as Stumpy said, a lot depends on your location etc.

talkin of talktalk when i first went with them my calls were unlimited so i can ring my mother for 4 hours & not get charged basically... but somewhere along the lines that changed to talk for 1 hour & unless you ring off & call back your charged

Not that I mind paying for the talk time I just wish they had made it clear from the start .. I have just renewed my contract with them for 12 months & I will see if my bills are any cheaper , I was toying with the idea of going for a cheaper tarrif because i only use my phone say once or twice per month & 30 quid a month seems excessive for calls landline & allegedly free broadband

Am i getting a good deal or could i get a lot cheaper deal with another provider ?.. thinking about it I dont have a bt landline anymore so will initially have to go back to them & i dont want to do that if i can help it

Just a thought ...you know how the offers are always for new customers? Well we'd been with Virgin from the day they arrived in our street..as ntl, then Diamond Cable, then Virgin..a lot of years. OH rang up and said we've been with you for X years, why no offers for us, why all for new customers? No bother..the lady promptly knocked a tenner a month off our broadband charge, so it was worth the call - it might be worth trying similar tactics and see what happens.

Yes a friend really wanted to leave Virgin as she had a great new deal with BT so she phoned Virgin and they knocked so much off her package that she just couldn't leave. They still haven't increased the price. I'll wait until the engineer comes on Thursday and quiz him. Otherwise its virgin for me.

Latest posts

Back